Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikebagwell

Disappearing Autogen in FS9

Guest mikebagwell

HiTried doing a forum search but no joy. I'm having an issue where certain parts of Autogen are disappearing after FS9 has been running for a while, with complex addons. I think this must be something to do with memory usage as once FS9 is restarted the autogen reappears again. I attach two pictures taken from roughly the same spot to demonstrate what I mean. In the screenshots are the PMDG 747 with REX weather near EGLL with max autogen and max AI.FS9 after about 20 minutes running:FS9 after about 40 minutes:I have Windows 7 64bit and FS9 is Large address Aware. Processor is an i5 750, I have a GeForce GTX 275 896MB, 4gb DDR3 RAM, so hopefully the computer is not the issue. Could you please suggest anything I could try to solve this? At the very least, is there a way I can get the sutogen back without having to relaod flightsim, as refreshing the scenery etc deosn't seem to work?Many thanks,Mike

I see these are replay videos. You checked in real time during these flights that the autogen was gone in 40 minutes right, as reply sometimes has some funky graphical glitches. Assuming you have done that, if you simply pause flight sim for a bit when you notice that autogen disappeared, does it ever pop back up?Also, whats your FPS like after 40 minutes compared to what you have it locked at?

Guest mikebagwell

Thanks for the reply.The effects are the same in normal flight - I just used replays to make it a bit easier to take the two shot from roughly the same place. the two shots are actually from two seperate flights.Pausing doesn't restore the autogen. The only way to get it back is to restart the sim.I have my fps locked at 40, and in both shots the fps was never more than 2-3fps from 40 - it never really deviates from this.Mike

Guest mikebagwell

HiYes, the effect is the same without AI, and when flying with default aircraft. However, I have just flown for 1.5 hours with clear weather with 100% AI, PMDG 747, over London with max autogen without this occuring, which leads me to think this is linked to REX.Can anyone suggest a way of being able to keep REX without losing my autogen?Many thanksMike

Guest mikebagwell

I have posted a question on the REX forums, but now I'm beginning to suspect another culprit.I replaced my Large address aware fs9.exe with the original one, and the problem disappears.Of course, this now reintrodices the problem of CTDs after a while, so I'd like to go back to making the exe large address aware, but is there something about doing this that could affect my autogen? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?Any thoughts?

What value is this line in your .cfg set to?AUTO_LOD=Also do you run a frame lock or have it set to unlimited?

Guest mikebagwell

HiMy AUTO_LOD value is 0I currently have the frames locked to 40, but the same occurs with frame rates on unlimited.

I've puzzled over this since it was first posted, and have a theory. This may be complete bunkum, but bear me out. Others have had this sort of thing before, and I think the solution was often a bad bgl - sometimes quoted as being "on the other side of the world".So here goes. I know from experience how easy it is when writing exclude files to include/omit a crucial minus sign. That puts an exclude somewhere often miles away from where it was intended. As it isnt seen when testing the scenery, that particular exclude can easily be totally forgotten by the designer and left in, and the user is then baffled when after installing scenery in say, France, a month or so later he notices a chunk of autogen has disappeared in Oz!The confusing bit here is why the effect only shows after a while and not immediately. Well this part is real conjecture. "New" exclude bgls, compiled from xml code are pretty straight-forward, and I believe the above simple error is pretty much the only one to cause errors (not strictly true I know of course), but the "old", scasm type bgls were a bit more complicated, and often include excludes and other code. The area in such files is defined in several different places. Now suppose the file main area define is for one place, and the exclude (or faulty object) is actually outside this area. As Fs loads/unloads different areas you fly through, it gets confused and throws a wobbly, eventually using the badly coded exclude. All only theory, I'm afraid, and I'm ready for somebody to shoot me down as a complete loony. :( Of course the only way I can think of finding the culprit is the old trick af disabling/enabling different sceneries until you find it (hopefully).DaveBlast!Just noticed that you say replacing your Large address aware fs9.exe with the original, solves the problem, so that about crushes my theory here! However you do add that "Of course, this now reintroduces the problem of CTDs after a while" Not sure why you say "of course", lots of us run 32 bit without CTDs. CTDs in my opinion are almost always the result of faulty add-ons, but I sure aint starting that old argument again.

Guest mikebagwell

Dave,Many thanks for your help, and your suggestions.After more testing today, it seems that memory really is the culprit here. For as long as the RAM usage stays below 2GB, the autogen appears. As soon as it goes over that, it disappears. I find this a bit suprising given that this happens even when FS9.exe is large address aware. I go back to the question of whether there is something else I should be doing to be able to make full use of my 4gb of RAM?As for the "CTDs after a while", I was referring to the infamous OOM errors that a lot of people seem to get. Making FS9 large address aware has of course solved these, only to introduce this irritating autogen issue. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it eventually!Mike

MikeWell I'm stumped. But I've a few more (probably daft) suggestions for you to try and pinpoint the problem.Does the non diplayed area follow you around or stay in just in one spot? Interested to see top-down shot to see shape.You obviously know more about Large address awareness than me, but have I read somewhere not to implement more than 3 point something Gb?Presume you've tried turning off all addons?I still have doubts that ooms/cdts are solved by mem tweaks rather than disguised. :( You have a pm.Dave

I still have doubts that ooms/cdts are solved by mem tweaks rather than disguised. :( Dave
Dave, in some cases you may be right but for the most part both FS9 and FSX are applications that once seriously bloated with add-ons (or in FSX's case bone stock) will not adhere to the limitations of a 32 bit OS. The only way to overcome this issue once encountered is to make the application in question LargeAddressAware and allow it to exceed that 32 bit OS limitation... (Hence 64 bit OS's)So this is not a mem tweak, it is a repeatedly confirmed FIX... Even ACES realized it after enough of us screamed about OOM errors after the initial FSX release, hence SP1 which made FSX largeaddressaware...As you mention you are not too familiar with LargeAddressAware and the /3GB boot.ini settings or a 64 bit OS so I just wanted to clear that up...Again, not a mem tweak disguising things, a fix resolving an issue the original coding did not... Had ACES developed true 64 bit applications with support for multi-core cpu's, true multithread apps and SLI support we wouldn't have these issues but they didn't so we do... ;)Just my .02,-PAs for dissapearing autogen I would suggest Filemon to see what FS is doing/thinking/executing when the issue arises. That and disabling all add-ons including restoring your Pre-REX textures... Perhaps one of the texture files was duplicated or corrupt when installing REX. I have personally stopped using REX as I had CTD's with REX I never experience without it... I am going through each setting in REX to try and isolate which causes the CTD...Just my .02,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg