Sign in to follow this  
Guest b737lvr

Why cant i run at high?

Guest b737lvr

my specs compared to FSX requirements: http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10110/why cant i run at maximum settings? i get 10-15 FPS. WHY!?!?!?I am running SP2 but not Acceleration. so i didn't select the acceleration pack to compare my stats.My system:AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20GHzATI Raedon 4650 1GBPC6400 4GB RAM Vista Home Premium 32-bitHere is my specs compared to the acceleration pack( which i have but DIDNT install): http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10219/

FSX is a CPU intensive game and your CPU is what is bringing you down

Look at my specs in my signature, I can't run FSX with every slider/setting maxed out and get the performance I desire (20-25 fps average). It takes a seriously fast processor, fast/low latency memory, a strong GPU, and a 64 bit OS to really get FSX performing well.

The common misconception among some simmers is that FSX will run best with an overpowered video card. Though this will help, Taylor is right, FSX is a CPU intensive game, not a GPU intensive game. I have seen a ton of amazing results with the new i7's. Paired with a GTX280, REX, GEX - FSX looks amazing!

The common misconception among some simmers is that FSX will run best with an overpowered video card. Though this will help, Taylor is right, FSX is a CPU intensive game, not a GPU intensive game. I have seen a ton of amazing results with the new i7's. Paired with a GTX280, REX, GEX - FSX looks amazing!
It's all about a balance between CPU/GPU, especially when running no bufferpool. The GTX 470/480 allows for stability and higher image quality without performance loss, but no fps increase over the GTX 280/285. A GTX 480 is a perfect match for a 4.2Ghz+ i7 9xx processor, while it would be overkill for a 2-3Ghz dual core. The reasoning is that when running no bufferpool, the CPU and GPU must be in sync. The CPU bypasses the bufferpool and sends calls directly to the GPU, so the CPU must send enough calls, but not too much to keep the GPU from stalling and working efficiently.

Guest b737lvr

Paul that file that came with the second link saved me so many frames O.othank you so much!

Quite frankly the requirements on the box are a joke - that is the absolute bare minimum needed to even get it to run with everything turned down. You need a cutting edge i7 based machine to be able to run it anywhere close to maxed out.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Quite frankly the requirements on the box are a joke - that is the absolute bare minimum needed to even get it to run with everything turned down. You need a cutting edge i7 based machine to be able to run it anywhere close to maxed out.
Not to disagree that you need an i7, but at least need to get in the range of 3.75 ghz or better, whether its an older dual core or a newer quad i-series.My "older" system that I built 2 years ago, believe it or not runs FSX pretty closed to maxed out. The only slider that sometimes I have to reduce is the Scenery Complexity slider, from Extremely Dense to Dense, for a few airports, namely KDFW. Aside from that, I can run 100% commercial AI and most other settings close to or at max, except that I dont use the FSX Bloom and I used modified Ultimate Terrain vehicle files so that I can run the cars at 40%. All that being said I can usually maintain 25+ FPS when running the PMDG J41, Captsim 727, or LDS 767.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator