Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

You Can Have Your Cake and Eat it - Part II

Hello again,As reported last night, I managed to get FS9 running on my system with some degree of consistency. The following posts will outline what it was I did to help me find my systems "sweet spot" and run in the area of 20FPS which is where I have it locked. I've broken the reading down into 7 parts to make it easier to read and to refer to if only one section appeals to you.DISCLAIMER - This has to be said on the front end before you go on reading.First and foremost, this thread would probably apply more to people who own an ATI video card but, there should be similarities between what I did and what you can do with a non-ATI card.No two systems are the same so what worked for me may not necessarily work perfectly for you and your system so don't expect this post to be the be all end all fix for FS9. It's really all about trial and error! Another thing I MUST convey is that FS9 is about acceptance and choices. You MUST accept that you WILL have "times" when your frame rates will drop into and around the less than 10 and high teens area. I say times because my experience now is it happens less frequently than more. The choices part is all about NOT having your sliders all to the right (maxed out) just for the sake of being able to say "I run FS9 with all my sliders MAXED and get xx FPS". If you want smooth "game play" you must choose which sliders are going to get moved out of the coveted right side. If you're one of the lucky ones whose system can run FS9 at a constant 25 - 40 FPS then this thread is not for you and you should be flying and enjoying FS9 rather than reading another how-to post:-) Personally, I think a patch should be released to address some of the performance issues but, I

Processes & Windows ServicesOne of the first things I did was to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to open the Windows Task manager and under the Processes tab I noted down ALL the items in the list on a piece of paper. When I had everything noted I went to Google and did a search for each one of those items to see what they were and if they were essential to have running. By taking the time to research these items, I was able to cut down the number of processes running on my system from 38 to 19. Now, some processes are accessible from MSCONFIG and some others were

Seems like every 5 minutes somewhere in the world a new set of drivers for a video card is being released :-) Some drivers are good and others make you wonder what the driver team was thinking when they released them!! The following link has probably one of the BEST tips I read for un-installing and installing new drivers. This is geared towards ATI owners but I

There are some great tips on what to adjust in your FS9.cfg file right here at the top of the forum so I won

After spending the better part of my day composing, formatting and re-testing FS9 for this document; If only 1 person benefits from this, it was WELL worth my while!! At the end of my tweaking last night I had one last thing to do and the following screen shot shows how confident I am that I

Guest Len

>ATI Radeon 9700TXYes. I've found someone with a 9700TX and maybe I can now rule out my problem. I seem to be the only one with this peculiar livery problem. I've spoken to various people with no solution. When I install a livery everything shows up fine in FS - both FS2002 and FS9. Problem is when I get the plane up the gear will not retract. I need to then completely reinstall that aircraft config to get it back to normal - simply removing the new entries doesn't help. I take it you are not having this problem with your TX? I'm trying to rule out what may be the source of the problem. I'm using Catalyst 3.2 because the latest Omega driver (based on the 3.6) and the 3.6 itself caused various display problems such as the VC of PMDG 737 missing gauges and having holes in the panel.P4 2.8 ghz 533 FSB, 1 gig DDR ram, 9700TX 128 mb Radeon, 200 gig drive (Dell 4550 series).

WOW - I've never seen that befor!! Can you tell me which aircraft you're having this problem with. I've got pretty much all the main stream freeware aircraft loaded and I've never experienced this problem. I can't see how the video card could affect your landing gear but hey - anythings possible I guess :-)Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

Guest CargoMun

>TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=8.500000>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=5.500000>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4 :) Cheers for all the work!!

Guest keattchr

Well done for this post - I now have the best EVER flight sim experience! My spec is similar to yours (P4 3Ghz, 512mb, Ti4400) so I followed every setting in your post. Just 2 little changes I made for my PC.Result is an amazingly clear and detailed view out the window. FPS stay at 20, only dipping when several layers of clouds are visible. Damm nightime view is so real its scary!Any doubts I had about FS2004 have evaporated after this post - the visuals are a masterpiece!Damm good post! Ray Keattch.

Hi Cargomun,>TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4 <--I borrowed that from my FS2002.cfg file. I can't find the printout I made of that tweak from way back when but I seem to remember that the vaule of 4 gave crisper looking ground textures. I'll dig up the original post and confirm that. You can try both values and see which one gives you better detail.Thanks for the kind words!!!Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg