Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fortress

Wilco or PSS A320?

Guest BAW463

What do you guys think in general is better: the Wilco A320 or the PSS A320? I read both reviews here on AVSIM and the PSS seems better overall but I thought I'd get live feedback from you.Opinions, critisism, jokes, philosophy all welcome!cya!Mattiedit: I'm asking because I've got money to burn (for once) and I don't know which one to buy...Matti

Hi Matti,PSS has the best graphic and overall quality. However, they do lack in systems simulation, only the basics are covered on the overhead panel, etc, and Flight By Wire is not modeled. There are also no failures in the PSS model. PSS has a loadedit by default and PICA320 has a 3rd party one.What I love about PIC is that it was the 1st 3D clickable VC, it really gives you the impression of "being there". The pitfall with PIC is that you must have a high end machine to really enjoy the sim. Otherwise you need to turn your sliders to the right and who wants to do that? ;) The PIC review did not mention anything about patch1 or that you can save view settings for the VC (ie save a landing view CTRL1 and CTRL2 would be something else. I personaly dont care about the external model, PSS is definitely the best for this. I would say that if you are into lots of systems and want to set up failure and experience FBW, go with PIC.. If you like great graphics and less complicated and easier to fly, go with PSS.I do own both and this is what I would recommend....get both ;) John

PSS offer support, superior performance, better visual modelling, carefree installation (Wilco has a lot of issues...).Yes PSS don't model every nut and bolt, but do you really need to have the emergency oxygen systems simulated?

>Hi Matti,>>>I personaly dont care about the external model, PSS is>definitely the best for this. I would say that if you are into>lots of systems and want to set up failure and experience FBW,>go with PIC.. If you like great graphics and less complicated>and easier to fly, go with PSS.>>I do own both and this is what I would recommend....get both>;) >>JohnSo, from what you've seen of the PIC A320, how does it compare to 767PIC in terms of systems fidelity?

Guest BAW463

What I'm worried about is performance, I run an Athlon 1200Mhz with 512 RAM, and an ATI Rage Fury Pro 32MB graphics card. I don't know if it can handle Wilco. The guy in the shop said forget it with an ATI card but I'm willing to give it a try if it's worth it. I can get it for about $30. The PSS is cheaper though so I'm not sure at all what is better... Anyway, thanks for your opinions, they're very helpful. Anyone else willing to share your knowledge with me? :-)cya!MattiP.S. Can I get both and incorporate the PSS panel with the Wilco VC so that I can get a great VC with a good 2D panel? Thanks in advance!Mattiedit:which one eats more system? Wilco or PSS?

Guest A32X

If you want to simulate real A320 operations go for the PICA320. The guys who produced it are an excellent team of programers and everything works as it should - check their unoffical forum it's a great spot. If you want an easy ride, very simplified systems etc go for the PSS A32X which has sold something like 5000 copies and this isn't because it fly's like the real thing. PSS are good at what they do; I'd called it "flightsim entertainment." (However screening in their forum, I have heard, is very biased.)If you're a hardcore "AirbusNut," I doubt you'd be able to fly the PICA320 on a 1200 MHz satisfactorily.The choice is yours..........

Guest Fortress

>If you're a hardcore "AirbusNut," I doubt you'd be able to fly>the PICA320 on a 1200 MHz satisfactorily.Hey Matti, I'd have to agree with this... I'd give up on the idea of Wilco if I were you....and if you can't trust a fellow BAV, who can ya trust! ;)Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

Hi,Having tried both on my 1,8 AMD + GF4 Ti card, I can honestly say forget the A320PIC if you don't upgrade your system completely. With the PIC, I had to create a separate fs2002.cfg file in which I had lowered the sim detail a lot, including lowering AI traffic level almost to zero. And still I'm not able to use resolution high enough to have the CRT screen as readable as I'd like. The preset views and the ability to change them using the POW hat compensates a lot for that though. The PSS bus should run smooth in your system I think..Systems- and immersionwise I think A320PIC is totally on another level as compared to the PSS version. Being able to click on almost all of the buttons in the 3d cockpit is cool once u get the hang of it.On the downside there are quite a few annoying bugs like not being able to use Direct-to function as it clears the flightplan and the Go-around mode isn't modelled at all so landing is a one-shot deal. Also, it's not possible to save games or watch replays as the sophisticated way it's programmed makes it go crazy, and even crash the sim. All of us bus drivers are still waiting for these faults to be patched but I've heard the authors are really having hard time patching it to work in FS2004 as it is, so it might take forever..If you really have money to spend, upgrade your system A LOT and then go for the PIC. If not, get a second-hand copy of the PSS bus as I think a lot of them are around, and use the change for beer :-beerchug

Guest crashing_pilot

hi,forget that frikkin scare-bus,go fly a DC8!that'll learn you how to fly by the numbers,instead of pushing knobs.regards

Guest BAW463

Well the thing is I only have about $100 so upgrading is for now out of the question. On the other hand I am an AirbusNut and only fly them. Maybe get it so it's there and then upgrade later on. I'm going to get a new PC for FS9 so the need for upgrade is there anyway. This one is almost two years old. I'm going to get a summer next year and with that money I'll buy a PC (hopefully). Thanks for all the replys people! It's really helpfull! :-)cya!Matti

> (Wilco has a lot of>issues...).Name them....BTW you mention a publisher here not a developer so you could take your statement as Wilco's PIC 767 has a lot of issues (try it in the dedicated forum here), Wilco's A 320 has a lot of issues or Wilco's Airport 2002 has a lot of issues, etc.In the same vein Microsoft has a lot of issues... or dare I say it Jeroen has a lot of issues...

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

PSS definatly steals my vote. Hands down. A five star release! :-hahCheers,Greg WillsGood day from England! :-wave

Greg Wills

sfo_a320.png

EASA Commercial Pilot License | Multi Engine / Instrument Rating | Flight Instructor | ATPL Theoretical Knowledge Instructor

Guest BAW463

Ok people, you got me convinced, I'll get the PSS as soon as possible...Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciated it! :Dcya!Matti

Guest Fortress

Matti, Althought you say you're going to get a new PC for COF, if you're currently using FS9 you might want to wait. The current A319/20/21 package doesn't work in the new version of FS and there's going to be a bit of a wait before a patch comes out (PSS will release their newest aircraft - A330/A340 - before they even look at fixing the earlier Airbus). They're out to make more money from new sales rather than support current customers.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

Guest BAW463

Hi Paul!I'm not getting FS9 till next year I don't think. But then again, I might run ok on my current system. What do you think? My specs are higher in the thread.cya!Matti