Sign in to follow this  
maxter

GPS500: when GPS in XML is a show stopper

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi,It seems that since at least FS2002, there is still something wrong in FS GPSs whatever the bezel they are encased in is, or the development technolgy used. Of course, it is not because of XML this happened. Here are two screenshots to better explain what the problem is as compared to the reference GNS530. Look closely at how the aircraft or the runway are wrongly oriented.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/29170.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/29171.jpgI've not been able to find a menu setting to change the orientation but would gladly hear about this if it is found.Hope this helps!

Guest Grey_Wolf

So far my expierence has been, that COF needs slight movement before the GPS shows your orientation corectly. It also seams to have a low refresh rate, so it tends to be a few seconds behind your actual position. Its at its worst when you've first started and when making sharp turns taxiing.

Guest DaveKDEN

Edit for a little clarification;Looks like the possibility of the difference between True North vs. Mag North to me. Or; You can set the default FS9 GPS to have North up or track up. Try adjusting it to track up and see if it makes a difference. Also, hit "D" to adjust your heading indicator.Dave

I've read through most of the GPS manual from FS2004, and it does not mention where I can change the track orientation. Can this be done? In FS2002 we had some options to make changes.Thanks,Cloud9

Guest DaveKDEN

>I've read through most of the GPS manual from FS2004, and it does not mention where I can change the track orientation. Can this be done?I was experimenting with it yesterday and discovered it by mistake. I'd have to take a look again though as I don't rmemeber what I did.Dave

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Russ,In short, XML is a description language. It is used in FS to build some gauges (like the stock Baron). They are limited to the default gauges structures (basically displaying bitmaps in different shapes and rotations), and with FS2004, the GPS is built in XML but calls FS2004 modules functions (this is the trick to it).Make sure to visit the Aircraft and Panel design forum to learn more about this!

What happens if you drive the plane forward at ~20 kts?I don't know how the GNS530 simulation works, but with the FS default GPS, you have to be moving for it to recognize which direction you're facing. It doesn't actually detect which direction you're facing, it only detects which direction you're MOVING. This is actually more realistic since this is how it works in the real world.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest paulri

Suggest you read it again. In one "view", it is oriented in directsion of flight. In another, it is oriented NORTH. I think thatNORTH is on the Map view. But it is plainly spelled out in the Operators Manual. Paul

Russ,Extensible Markup Language (XML). From XML.com..."XML is a markup language for documents containing structured information.Structured information contains both content (words, pictures, etc.) and some indication of what role that content plays (for example, content in a section heading has a different meaning from content in a footnote, which means something different than content in a figure caption or content in a database table, etc.). Almost all documents have some structure.A markup language is a mechanism to identify structures in a document. The XML specification defines a standard way to add markup to documents."CheersChris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Pentium IV 3.0GHz (800FSB) Socket 478 pins CPU w/Hyper-Thread Technology MSI 875P NEO FIS2R, AGP 8X, i875P ICH5R Chipset with Gigiabit LanKingmax 512MB PC3200 Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM CAS-2.5- 400MHz Rated x 2BUILT By ATI (Original) Radeon 9800PRO w/TV Out & DVI 128Meg DDRTEAC DV-W50E, 4x DVD-R/ 2x RW, 16xCD-R, 8xCD-RW, 16xDVD, 32x CD-ROM Internal Drive Only Western Digital Raptor 36.0GB HDD IDE, 8MB Cache, 5.2ms, 10,000rpm , S-ATA, w/DataLifeguard WD 40Gig HD for dataATX 470W Pentium IV Power Supply CESkyhawk Jupiter Aluminum CaseHyundai -ImageQuest P910 , 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby