Sign in to follow this  

Flight yoke null zone and sensitivity settings

Hi! Congratulations for this new forum. I have been flying with every MS FS. Now, I have just started flying FS2004 and I would like to know the correct settings for null zone and sensitivity that resemble the ones in a real aircraft, in order to take flying lessons as accurate as possible.Thank you in advanceMiguel Otero

MiguelI will start off by still saying what i have said for a few years.That is that FS is still to sensitive compared to real aircraft and that there isnt the difference in control feel felt through the range of speed.Try this as an experiment with any FS flight model. Abuse it! ie pull the control column forward and back left an right and do the same with the rudder pedals but in that case left and right.No aircraft will react in that way as with a real aircraft you will get a strong reluctance to move from its trimmed state. Trying to do so will result in heavy out of trim control forces.the FS models will react like puppets on a string to differing degrees.Even the better models behave this way although they have moved in the right direction over the recent development phase.With a real aircraft at slow speed you will use a large amount of control input for a desired effect and the aircraft will feel sluggish.Speed it up and the control movement becomes tiny. this is very poorly modelled.Fact is that you have to fly the sim in a different way and that is with tiny movements in comparisonSet the sensitivity and null zones to suit your control hardware and work it to be as lacking in twitchyness as possible.Best regardsPeter

Thank you for your replies. I forgot to mention that I use CHProducts Flight Sim Yoke. I am really happy with this device, but sometimes I feel that the smallest movement makes abrupt maneuvers in the sim. I have always flied the sim as real as possible and tried different settings for null zone and sensitivities but I have never been sure if I

I have been flying many different a/c in FS2002 since it came out using just a Microsoft Joystick. Now it it perfectly obvious to me that this is nothing like real life flying and never can be! -- first of all, real a/c don't have MS joysticks and secondly RL pilots tend to fly just one aircraft at any one phase of their life - and don't swap around between a/c as much as us simmers do.So - for me, what is most important, is not how "twitchy" the controls in the Sim are (although I do find that annoying) but how I use the Sim as an "intellectual" excercise to be able to fly the Sim a/c to the "numbers" and follow the procedures that are also followed in RL..Hence , it seems to me that if we worry less about how it feels in the Sim and concentrate more on the intellectual side of what we are doing, then this puts the Sim to its' best use.Barry

I'am going to go ahead and lock this thread you can continue the discussion in the msfs general forum :-)

Hi Joe,I moved it to general for ya!:)

Thank you for all your answers.Miguel Otero