Sign in to follow this  

FS2002/FS2004 hybrid: best of both worlds!

If you've got FS2004 but are planning to keep FS2002 on your hard drive, consider this:I love FS2004 (especially the new scenery textures), but because for now I have a GF2 MX card I've had to give up a few things that I really miss like reflective and chrome textures on my planes, plus I can't see the new water reflections. And the PSS Dash8 is on hold, waiting for a patch.But I made a copy of the FS2004 Scenery/World/Texture folder (187 MB) and moved it to FS20002 SCENEDB/WORLD folder, backing up my original FS2002 SCENEDB/WORLD/texture folder first.Now I've got vastly enhanced scenery running in FS2002 (absolutely stunning with FSGenesis landclass), plus as a bonus I'm getting the new water reflection effect that I couldn't see in FS2004 with my card. And, of course, all my chrome is back.Don't get me wrong. I'm going to be staying with FS2004 for the most part, but for those straddling both systems, you might want to think of your FS2004 purchase as not just a whole new flight sim, but a fantastic scenery enhancement/upgrade/addon for your old FS2002 as well.John

Very clever, John. Thanks. I'll try it tonight for sure.Regards.Gianluca

Yes this seems to be spreading,with all kinds of new stuff from 2004 copied to 2002. Do you thinking going the other way would work and solve some of the bridge problems?I copied my C182RG default from 2002 over to 2004 and wow it worked. no tweaks. I was actually shocked when I clicked on the GPS and the Garmin came up. I thought I would get an error and the program shut down.Yes I think we have a hybrid in the making. FS2004 is a great shareware addon :-)

Now everyone that asks where to find FS2003 wont have to look like such an idiot to more educated users :)

One thing which doesn't work, I'm sorry to say, is the porting over of FS2004 default aircraft to FS2002.... The aircraft show as invisible in the selection screen and spot view. I would have loved to carry over the Mooney. This leads me to suspect some changes were made in the model compilation--and it may explain why we only have dynamic shine avail for glass reflections.Otherwise, I've played with swapping out the textures as well. But it can cause issues with Autogen, since the autogen would be based on FS2002's agn files. Autogen may not align properly with the underlying texture, depending on how much it changed between sims...What I'm anxious to see is the new water reflection effect in FS2002.... Can you post a screenshot of that over in the screenshots forum?-John

Hi John,Your idea is so simple that it's been missed by us all until now- and thanks for sharing it. I now can't wait to get home and try this. FS2004(9) scenery and textures with PIC, awesome possibilities...Bruce.

Bruce,Yes, it's exciting, especially for people who might have to wait awhile for a hardware upgrade to run FS2004 well. This way I'm getting FS2002-style performance with great frame rates, plus all my FS2002 addons can still be used, and the overcast cloud setting I can't seem to duplicate yet in FS2004. But I'm enjoying FS2004 ground textures and water reflections (optional). When I fly over lakes I can see my stratus overcast reflected on the surface.John

John,I'm not sure how perfect the autogen alignment is because I like the views above 10,000 AGL. And there's probably no reason why the new FS2004 autogen resizing textures couldn't be merged into FS2002 just as an experiment. Regarding the water reflections in FS2002, there are screenshots and much discussion here http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DC...mID21/2803.htmlJohn

>One thing which doesn't work, I'm sorry to say, is the>porting over of FS2004 default aircraft to FS2002.... The>aircraft show as invisible in the selection screen and spot>view. I would have loved to carry over the Mooney. Yes the reverse doesnt seem to work. I actually think the mooney in 2002 flies just as well if not better than COF. One thing I can tell in COF you have to fly the mooney and ensure you switch fuel tanks periodically. FS2002 gave you a menu option to fly on both tanks so you would get an even burn off. COF is more like real life but it was nice to have it in 2002 for lazy pilots :-)Bill

Guest Mike20

>If you've got FS2004 but are planning to keep FS2002 on your>hard drive, consider this:>>I love FS2004 (especially the new scenery textures), but>because for now I have a GF2 MX card I've had to give up a few>things that I really miss like reflective and chrome textures>on my planes, plus I can't see the new water reflections. And>the PSS Dash8 is on hold, waiting for a patch.>>But I made a copy of the FS2004 Scenery/World/Texture folder>(187 MB) and moved it to FS20002 SCENEDB/WORLD folder, backing>up my original FS2002 SCENEDB/WORLD/texture folder first.>>Now I've got vastly enhanced scenery running in FS2002>(absolutely stunning with FSGenesis landclass), plus as a>bonus I'm getting the new water reflection effect that I>couldn't see in FS2004 with my card. And, of course, all my>chrome is back.>>Don't get me wrong. I'm going to be staying with FS2004 for>the most part, but for those straddling both systems, you>might want to think of your FS2004 purchase as not just a>whole new flight sim, but a fantastic scenery>enhancement/upgrade/addon for your old FS2002 as well. >John>Hi all I think this idea needs to be put in the locked thingy at the top of the forum as it could be just what we are all looking for if we cant run FS9 at least we can upgrade FS8 with the blue coasters and that way it wont be such a loss I checked the message forum mentiond here and hope fully some one will post a how to do for all us non computer guru's it sounds great to me regards Mike>

Guest N73GX

OK, I dont know what I did but I messed something up. Al my runways have black on them and after messing around I found that the runways (Even during the day) are textured for night as if I had my landing or taxing lights on - during the day. I will check it out and re do it and see what happens but what I did is took everything in fs9's scenery and put it in fs8's scendb folder and did the same to the FX folder and over writ everthing. I will mess with it some more to weed things outThanks

Guest N73GX

Found it. It's in the Texture folder. I would recomend scrutiny in copying files overThanks