Sign in to follow this  

Default Caravan Amphib lowrider

The Caravan Amphibian, in Fs 9, bounces on its front wheels severly after a good landing on a runway- sometimes going out of control. I haven't been able to control it from the aircraft config file (contact points), weight distribution or changing AIR files from FS2002. Im out of ideas. Also it seems that taxing on water includes kind of attempt to portray waves by having the plane shake and vibrate at less than take off speeds. Trying the whole default Caravan from FS2002 doesn't work any better. An add-on cessna 140 with floats will skip and hop til it ususally crashes on water, which worked fine in FS2002. The recent popular LAKE 270 add-on works fine.Any one else seeing this and or have any ideas?Thanks Greg

Guess you're finally seeing it properly modelled...The Caravan amphib works just fine in FS2004. If it's harder to taxi than the wheeled version that's because of the peculiar layout of the landing gear causing a larger turning circle.If it shakes a bit on water that's normal too, water isn't glassy smooth and you WILL bump a bit.Better learn to fly properly...

Proper flying isn't the problem. I said a good landing. Whats happening is bouncing after touchdown off the front wheels (like an old car with no shocks) which if the landing is a little heavy can lead to the plane going out of control and 'crashing.' Ive been flying FS since FS2 and can after all these years fly pretty well thank you. Maybe its my copy but if its working right I wouldnt spend 1.8 million on a real one just to get killed. :()Thanks for the response. Greg

Just thought I'd follow up on my self for anyone that might be interested. I have to admit part of the problem was being a little heavy on the brakes. At speed the wheels evidentlly locked up causing the front to bounce and then both pair of wheels, causing a wild ride.FIX part: In the aircraft config file [Contact_Points]:Points 0&1 Position #8 was 0.3 I made them softer at 0.5 (Fr wheels)Points 2&3 Position #8 was 0.4 changed to 0.5 (Rear wheels)This evened out the suspension front to back and made the plane handle more realisticly. Also on water the "wave effect is not as severe as it was and is more realistic.I deleted the 140 on floats so don't know if this was its problem. Greg

>I deleted the 140 on floats so don't know if this was its>problem. > I put the cessna 140 float plane back in fs9 and the above completely solved its problem too. Guess the contact point was too hard and the plane didn't penetrate the water or the other way around. :)

Water landings require you to be (almost) absolutely level and have a very low vertical speed.Flaring is vitally important!in a real floatplane you'd use ground effect to settle down to the water. As ground effect isn't perfectly modelled in FS it's a bit harder but can certainly be done.The FS2004 flightmodels are improved upon the FS2002 ones, so expect the aircraft to behave a bit differently (and indeed possibly be a bit more critical on things like acceptable abuse).I've just taken the Caravan for a testrun on the waters around Seattle and it handles quite well.If your aircraft is shaking a lot during takeoff and landing, pull up the water rudders. They're meant ONLY for very low speeds and will cause vibrations if used at higher speeds.

Are you saying the over-bounce fix is more the increase in the numbers than evening them out? (I'm thinking of 3rd party acft that will bounce themselves to oblivion if your view wanders off watching AI in another view window)

Guest aafuss

I was amazed at the smooth, 'fulid' takeoff of the C208 Amphibian in FS2002-the engine sounds are similar to 737/747/737 engine sounds.

>Are you saying the over-bounce fix is more the increase in>the numbers than evening them out? (I'm thinking of 3rd party>acft that will bounce themselves to oblivion if your view>wanders off watching AI in another view window)The "fix" was mostly due to increasing the numbers (static compression, which I think are the basic stiffness of the suspension)which softens the dynamic contact between the landing gear, or floats, and the surface (either water OR land). As stated in notes in some config files "0=rigid". Too hard and the craft bounces excessively. This 'problem' was the result of braking and locking the front wheels on roll out causing the C208 to start jumping around severely. This 'fix' calmed that down to be more realistic and not self destructive, and also helped the unrealistic water action. And allowed the Cessna 140 Floats to water land and taxi well, rather than acting like a skipping stone. I've just tried this in FS2k2 on some of the Add-ons that self destructed when taxiing off runway, and it has worked. But its easy to go too big a number and not get any gear flexing from bumps which is also unreal. I think the evening out just dampened the more prononced bounce in the front set of wheels on the floats on the C208.Greg

>Flaring is vitally important!>Please read the message you replied too closer. YOu were initially correct the main problem was technique. Agressive braking caused the suspension in the C208 floats to go nuts when the front wheels locked and the plane began bouncing around severely and unrealistically. Also a less than greased landing caused the same thing. Initially I was very disappointed that "they" had screwed the flight dynamics up. But a closer look showed they were in fact much better, a little too much. >>The FS2004 flightmodels are improved upon the FS2002 ones, so>expect the aircraft to behave a bit differently (and indeed>possibly be a bit more critical on things like acceptable>abuse).I agree over all, but there are a couple things like this that are too good. And in the case of the Cessna 140 float that skipped like a stone when the flight perameters were performed in spec, the environment change from fs2k2 to Fs9 was too much for it. And the 'contact_point" adjustment solved that problem too.>>I've just taken the Caravan for a testrun on the waters around>Seattle and it handles quite well.It works better now, on the water and land, for me.Thanks for your help. I checked out your airline -- very nice!Nice looking help too. I just attend a wedding last month on St Thomas(otherwise I probably wouldn't ever have got there other that virtually) It was fun to do for real what I had done in the simulator by flying down there. Greg