Sign in to follow this  
Guest patch10

FSX MD-11 GO AROUND

Guest patch10

Hi,When trying GO AROUND at SOME airports (not all airports fail ) although I initially seem to follow the Flight Path I entered into MCDU in AUTOPILOT, I suddenly get differing failures. Sometimes I get an FSX error which causes me to shut down, sometimes an apparent failure of AUTOPILOT although cockpit indications show me as still being ok. I even get situations where the aircraft is still flying seen by looking out of the window but the displayed flight path seems stuck in the same place.It may be coincidence but I have been successful (eventually)at all airports except Heathrow. Although I use an "add-on" I get the same results with it disabled.Can anyone give me a proceedure that allows me to do GO AROUND in Autopilot with a successful Auto landing?

The missed approach procedures are included in the sidstar file for that location as part of each approach. The problem might be there, or it might not be a problem if there is no procedures such as "FLY XXX HEADING ALTITUDE XXXX EXPECT VECTORS" What do the charts say? Always refer to the charts if you have questions about procedures.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest patch10

The airport chart I have is that provided by AEROSOFT's MEGA AIRPORT LONDON HEATHROW X. However, it only provides a holding "circuit" so I make a GO AROUND Flight Plan using the available Waypoints that can be displayed on the ND. I always use the valid sidstar for the particular airport. This "system" may not be correct but it seems to work for other airports except Heathrow. Should it work?

I am no expert, but this is what I think maybe the problem. The MD11 comes with a set of navaids. Your Aerosoft Heathrow comes with a chart that lists a procedure for use with navaids in use at the time the chart was printed. The MD11 navaids and the Heathrow chart navaids may not be in agreement since navaids get updated all the time.You could try to download the lastest navaid database and the latest Heathrow approach chart. You can get an updated navaid database from Navigraph, but you do have to buy the updated database. You can get updated US approach charts from Airnav. Sorry, but I do not know where to get updated Europe approach charts from, but they are out there someplace.

Yeah, the scenery doesn't have the missed approach procedure, just the eyecandy. The navaids such as VORs are in the facility database that cannot be altered by scenery, but they do contain approach navaids such as ILS because these are defined with the runway which is part of the airport scenery. I recommend you get the Heathrow charts from here: http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/publicuser/...ic/pu/login.jsp (you have to register but it is free)

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest patch10

Hi, I'm back again and after a lot of trying I think I have now got it working correctly.Firstly, I made my Go Around plan with gentle turns although I'm not convinced this was necessary and it resulted in a lengthy (in miles) flight plan. I finished this short of the original Flight Plan to ensure no overlap.At about 500ft above runway I hit the Go Around button, click on the NAV switch and increase height displayed on MCP by at least 500ft.Raise flaps as per speed tape and also gear. Check on NAV/RAD page that ILS/HDG is still displayed at L4. Enter it if not.Complete Go Around route but only enter RWY on STAR page.Reduce height on MCP to that of approach height. Click on PROF.Reduce speed, lowering flaps and gear as and when appropriate. Follow normal proceedures for autopilot landing.I think the important bit which I obviously missed was increasing height above that of approach height and clicking on NAV. This seemed to make it all like a normal "take-off".Don't know if anyone has any comments to make about any of the above.