Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Can you recommend software for learning for Written?

Hi all,Today my flight instructor recommended studying for the written. I'd like to forego ground school if possible - would prefer an at-your-own-pace course, preferably a well-put-together software course.Can you make any recommendations / critiques?[edit: I LIKE illustrations!]FWIW I have read some go a little more into explaining/understanding, and I'm all for that...Thanks,Andrew

I am currently a student pilot, and I am mainly using the King Schools video training (online version). I love it. I also have the Jeppesen Private Pilot Training Kit. I do highly recommend King though. My father learned via King Schools videos (VHS tapes back then) back in the late 1980's.-m@

ASA Prepware is also a good choice + FAA Instrument handbook

Hi.For the written, go for Glime, to really get it all, later, get the FAA books. TV

Hi.For the written, go for Glime, to really get it all, later, get the FAA books. TV
Agreed Gleim is what I have always used. Faa books are also excellent.

Not software recommendations, but possibly of interest...I used this series of books, which are a fairly standard choice for UK PPL students: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Pilots-Manual-...g/dp/1843360640 However, they are geared towards CAA/JAR stuff so they are probably not the best choice for you since you are in the USA, so I'd go with what your fellow US fliers have recommended if I were you. Although if anyone happens to be an aviation study bookworm, they are worth a read, as they are nonetheless very informative.For an IMC Rating, or just an idea of what that entails if you are on the basic PPL, this is a good one, but again, only really suitable for UK study: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...p;x=13&y=17If all that studying is driving you nuts and you want some light relief that is still quite informative for pilots, then I'd also recommend this book, which is great fun: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloudspotters-Guid...5281&sr=1-1Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks everyone.In looking at these and searching around, someone recommended the prep software from Dauntless Aviation.Anyone try this? Demo seems pretty decent, but I don't know anyone who's used it. Pretty good interface, too. Will be making a decision this week.cheers,Andrew

Quick note:Got the Dauntless aviation program for $35. Pretty well produced. The interface is a little clunky as far as setting it up goes, but it's also pretty flexible. I like that you can choose which subjects (or combination thereof) such as Maps and Charts or Instrumentation and Avionics.It doesn't really teach, though the answers have an explanation included and are pretty helpful.Andrew