Sign in to follow this  
MikeAdamo

A way to add better fps/smoothness to a rw download

Here is a problem that can be helped manually.On duats/metar forecasts-when the visibility reported max is usually 10 miles. (Actually my duats today reports better than 6 for my area-active sky (metar) reports better than 10). You will never see 15 miles visibility, 25 miles visibility etc. reported. Why? Because poor visiblity is what interests pilots-if better than 10 not really that important.I have noticed that it seems fs interprets better than 10 as "unlimited" in the visibility section of the weather tab. I don't see how this could be "fixed" as there is no data for fs to retrieve to give a more specific visiblity when it is better than 10.I have also noticed from all flight sims I have used-one of the biggest performance enhancements one can do is reduce visibility! Reducing from unlimited to even 50 makes a huge performance increase!Now I know there are areas of the world that regularly have unlimited visibility. Where I live though-10 is usually excellent-20 great-and 40-50 a only several times a year event.So for example-today I downloaded my real weather under a nice high pressure system here. Fs set the visiblity at unlimited and I had about 12 fps sitting on the runway. What is the actual visiblity here?-I don't know-I just know it is greater than 10 which is what duats/metar are reporting(if I went up in the plane I could determine). After getting the real weather download-I went into custom and reduced the visibility to 20 miles-still what would be great in my area of the country and probably more realistic.FPS jumped to 19-21 upon doing this.....I haven't gotten the new fspuic yet-but I don't remember if there is a switch to limit the visiblity in a way like this.But if your real weather downloads are sluggish-check the visibility setting-if unlimited turn it down some-and watch the fps go up!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest hassata

Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but yes I beleieve the registered FSUIPC has a section to limit visability under different sky conditions (clear, rain, etc.). I did try it and it did boost frames, although Peter suggests you leave this one alone as FS2004 handles visability-limiting elements such as haze much better than 2002. I limited visability vis FSUIPC to 20 in clear conditions (default), picked up a few fps, and could still see downtown Seattle from Sea-TacAm I missing something?

Hi Geof,Yes reducing visibility is another sure fire way to increase performance and gain a few extra FPS. I took the plunge and purchased FSUIPC thinking that I could set the visibility limits with it but, it seems it's not programed that way anymore. Here's a question a user asked on Pete's support forum and Pete's answer:If I install FSUIPC, (haven't purchased it yet) can I get FSUIPC to limit the visibility to under 50 mi. regardless of what weather I download?Pete's answer:At present, not with localised weather downloads, no. The weather filtering only operates with weather provided by external programs such as those you mention, or global weather which you can set up by clearing all weather then setting your own.Here's another post you may find of interest:Post subject: Visibility settingsI can say without a doubt that when I load in FS Real Time Weather it by-passes the FSUIPC settings I have set and displays what it received from the METAR file. If I set my own weather, then FSUIPC will set the vis based on how I set it within FSUIPC. Like Pete stated, we have to wait on the 3rd party developers.http://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

Nope - you got it. You can adjust the vis in FSUIPC. I've done that myself and like the effects. "Unlimited visiblity" in an area is usually designated as "9999" in Europe or some default number in North America depending on where you are. However, that doesn't mean you can see forever. Hey, if you are standing in the outskirts of Portage-la-Prairie, Manitoba, or Wichita Kansas looking east, the very furthest you can see is 12 km (8 mi) due to the curvature of the earth anyway. Now as you go up in altitude, that range extends out quite a bit, but seeing 60 miles is quite a feat even from an airliner at altitude. So it's not at all unrealistic to drop your max vis down to 60 in clear weather, AND you do save some fps'. I've got my slider in FS9 set to 80 miles, but I've got my vis in FSUIPC set to 60 for clear wx. I suspect you need only set one or the other.Glenn

Ahh, I posted my thingie before reading this, so I stand somewhat corrected. I use FSMeteo with FS9 so perhaps my setup isn't having the effect I anticipated afterall. However, a quick question here is, you mention, "The weather filtering only operates with weather provided by external programs... . Does this not mean that if you are using an external weather program such as FSMeteo, then the FSUIPC settings WILL override that program, or is it saying that you must have the "Prevent External Control" option selected in FSUIPC before it can override anything?Thanks, and I should have read your post before submitting mine on this.Glenn

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Glenn,can you please share your FSUIP - FSMeteo trigger settings in programs or via .ini files?It sounds a bit too complicated to me to set by myself :-hmmm Thanks in advance for helpingLuigi ;-)

Hi Glenn,If you're running FS9 with FS Meteo then you should be able to adjust your vis settings within FSUIPC as you described in yout original post. To answer your question, yes, from what Pete posted on his support forum; 3rd party weather utilities such as FS Meteo Weather Center etc... work in tandem with FSUIPC. If on the other hand you're using JUST the MS FS9 downloaded weather then no, FSUIPC will not adjust the settings. Another variable is if you clear the weather from within FS9 and set the weather yourself, then the FSUIPC settings will work. Basically, the option many of us could stand to benefit from doesn't work :-)Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg