Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

is this good enough for FSX?

for someone who really knows what they are doing, I want to get the following system:this is from cyberpower for $1694 + shipping and other optional rush fees.I'm looking for something that will run FSX max terrain (or very close) with ORBX PNW and Australia scenerywith PMDG J41 and Aeroworx Twotter. with weather addon and AI traffic. - will this be ok to start? I want a system that I can grow with, add more ram, put in a faster vid card, etc.thanks for your timeBrian S Configuration * CPU: Intel

Ciao!

Guest chris493

You have put all your money in the wrong parts. Get an i7 930, 975 is really not required if you OC 930. Change ram type to corsair dominator on the config. page, the ram you have is very basic. Change the motherboard to a P6TD deluxe or gigabyte UD5, that is a very basic motherboard. Get a 10,000RPM HD for your second HD, and install FSX only to this. I don't like the looks of that cooler. Look for Corsair H50 liquid cooling, or thermalrite venemous X, or CM v10. Change all of that and then it will be a kik &@($* system for FSX.

thank you so much!I talked to a local guy in my city where I live and he had the following to say:1. don't over clock because it will just wear out your stuff quicker2. don't get a 10000 rpm drive they don't last very long because they run to fastwhat is your rebuttal to this?btw, if I get the 930 can't I in the future drop another i7 chip right in? or at least I should be able to? or at least the 980 or ?? no?also, I only have a choice of the dominator ram in 1600 instead of 1800.. is 1600 ok?

Ciao!

Guest chris493

1600Mhz ram is perfect. The i7 930 can be replaced by any 1366 socket processor, including the i7980x for some mobos. Ocing only wears out your CPU if you don't use adequate cooling. If you manage to keep the chip at the same temp as it would be not OCd, there is practically no extra wear. 10,000RPM drives don't wear out quicker. It's just rotating faster, it can't really wear out physically. I don't know where he got that info. I have been using 1 of my 10k HDs for about 1.5 years now, and it works fine. Are you sure about that price increase? The i7 930 is quite substantially cheaper than the 975.

I talked to a local guy in my city where I live and he had the following to say:1. don't over clock because it will just wear out your stuff quicker2. don't get a 10000 rpm drive they don't last very long because they run to fastwhat is your rebuttal to this?
1) That is a huge load of ****. I have my 920 2.67Ghz OCed to 4.2Ghz, running at totally nice 75C max under load, and with stock cooler it reaches 70C also when not OCed. It's all about the cooling, and I have the water for that... I have been overclocking for 10 years now, and I must say, I *never* had a chip do ANYTHING weird, if configured correctly. There is *always* a risk with overclocking, but if cooled well and you do it smartly, you have nothing to fear.2) Ehhhmmm, what?! Given also the fact that I have a watercooled boxes for my 4 drives, my raptor has the same temperature like any other 7200rpm drive and also no problems, neither I heard of any problems with these drives compared to 7200 ones. Of course, both have certain failure rate, but not different than 7200s. I think most people whose hard drives fail is because of the heat and insufficient cooling. And concerning speed, it's a whole new world compared to slower ones. SSD would also be a big step over it, but it also raises the price...I would suggest you go the 930 and P6X58D like many on the forums, this board has proven to be a very good basis, also supports 980x natively, can always upgrade... and maybe see if you can fit the GTX480 instead of 470. Heard Corsair H50 is a good thing for the CPU especially if you are overclocking.I would always say go real watercooling, but we already had this discussion months ago, and with all pros and cons, it might be out of your budget right now. It's a worth upgrade though.And concerning RAM: 1600 is OK, it will give you a multiplier which will reach natively 4200 on the CPU, without overclocking the RAM.