Sign in to follow this  
KERNEL32

Call for Devs: Less Sterile Option?

There have been some excellent releases of payware aircraft recently for FSX. I wondered if I was alone in feeling that almost all of them (while looking great and flying great!) feel a bit too "sterile". What I mean is that they are always perfect. They never break down, there are never consequences for some of our bad behaviours.That is, except for a few aircraft out there...most of which are made by A2A simulations (accu-sim). And recently I found out that it seems the Level-D 767 also has some consequence actions that we can set via the failures menu.I'm not talking so much of a "random failure" but a problem that occurs due to our failure to recognize and follow procedures. For example - full throttle on the beechcraft Duke from takeoff to 30 minutes in flight with the cowl flaps completely closed. There's no reaction to my stupid action of doing this.And when it happens sometimes it can be a total surprise (random failure BUT based on part fatigue by misuse OR age). That means keeping track of hours flown, hard landings, etc.Anyone agree?

Guest Pittnuma

Would be a nice option, I have the Accusim B-17 you refer to and it is a nice option.I don't fly it as much as I would like as I spend most of the time at FL37 in a long longbus taxi.Howevere the option of a failure like that would be nice, I am not keen on ticking the option for failures, once you tick it you have a fairly good idea it's going to happen and with what system.But like the Accusim version it is down to maintenance, handling and a/c husbandry.Would be nice yes.

The DA Dornier Do-27 (see: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=DO-27 ) is another good example.From the blurb at the link:"Instruments are affected by flight conditions; the panel may vibrate, instrument needles may be influenced by vibrations, g-forces, or other disorders.- Engine and gear can get damaged by a number of factors.- The flight model is affected by a number of different conditions - so it means you must pay attention in Pro mode.- Structure and controls can get damaged through high speeds and extreme maneuvers.- Windows get dirty."Nice bird, though there's a FPS hit.

Paul Skol

Off the top of my head, I can recall these ones having some of that stuff...Aerosoft's Consolidated PBY Catalina has some sophisticated engine modeling that can cause problems if you don't do things as you should. You can experience engine fires, fouled plugs, flooding and shock cooling damage. It's perhaps not quite as in-depth as the A2A Accusim stuff, but it is very good all the same. The Aeroworx B200 has a wear and tear module on it, and although it is an FS9 bird, you can get it into FSX.The Golden Age Simulations Boeing B40 can overheat and get an engine fire if you are not careful to manage the engine settings properly.The Alphasim F-104 Starfighter can get itself into a terminal flat spin, as indeed could the real one.The Uiver DC-2 can experience engine fires if you are not careful with it.Quite a few FS Spitfires emulate fuel starvation in the carburetor if you push neg G on themThe Fighter Leader FSX P-51C manages to emulate the slightly evil stall characteristics of the real thing in certain flight regimes.Not FSX, but all the gliders in Condor can experience flutter if you go past VNE, and if you stay at that speed, the wings come off, which does make for some interesting judgement calls if you are in a close multiplayer race to the finish line and decide to push things.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

To add to the list, the PMDG JS4100 has plent of consequences if you dont handle the engine properly.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wait till you guys see what we're doing for the NGX wear/maintenance simulation... :(
I didn't think I could get anymore excited about the NGX, that is until I read that comment.Frankly, out of all the airliners I own now, including the J41, I don't think I will be flying any of them very much, if at all, once the NGX comes out.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wait till you guys see what we're doing for the NGX wear/maintenance simulation... :(
You've made my day!!! Can't wait to see this.

I can just see it now, the most realistic simulation of an NG ever - sorry Captain, you can't fly it, we've got four systems down that are required for dispatch and the parts haven't arrived from Denver yet, so you'll have to fly the default 737 instead, but on the plus side, there are only four things on the checklist for that one, so you'll be away in no time. LOLJoking aside, like many other airliner sim freaks, I'm really thrilled at the prospect of PMDG's new 737.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest 413X3
we can't wait, so just let us all beta test it now!!

PMDG has a good set of failures based on your actions. The other day I was on approack with the MD11 and it seems I had pushed the engines too hard, as #2 was literally on fire on descent. Extinguished, shut off, landed and taxiied with #1 and #3