Sign in to follow this  
chris41

Oil temperature rise

Using fspassengers I found that while on a flight engine #2 oil temperature was rising (in the yellow soon to be red). Is the procedure only to reduce thrust in that engine (which, by the way, is something that is difficult to do using the mouse and throttle quadrant)? If after the temperature is nearing normal to that of #1 and I increase thrust again in #2 and it rises again: what is the procedure then, if not the same procedure as before?Thanks,Chris Porter

Using fspassengers I found that while on a flight engine #2 oil temperature was rising (in the yellow soon to be red). Is the procedure only to reduce thrust in that engine (which, by the way, is something that is difficult to do using the mouse and throttle quadrant)? If after the temperature is nearing normal to that of #1 and I increase thrust again in #2 and it rises again: what is the procedure then, if not the same procedure as before?Thanks,Chris Porter
Chris,You probably wouldn't increase the #2 Engine N1 beyond the setting where the Eng Oil Temp remains in the Normal Operating Range. Reduced thrust on the engine is better than no thrust, so don't increase it after you've got it under control.(I'm in the sim tomorrow - the big, moving kind - so I'm glad for the excuse to work through the QRH!)

Matt Cee

Good luck Matt, those can be torture.Interesting difference between turbine and piston. If I see an oil temp elevate that engine is shut down, which might save me lots of money if I caught it in time.

Dan Downs KCRP

The procedure for high oil temp in the 737-800 is:If temperature is at or above the redline: Accomplish the ENG FAIL/Shutdown procedure.If temperature is in the amber band: Autothrottle: disengageThrottle No._ : Retard, Retard until engine oil temperature is within normal operating range or throttle is closed.If temperature is in the amber band for more than 45mins: Accomplish the ENG FAIL/Shutdown procedure.This procedure was taken from a 737 QRH and I have only written it here for use in FlightSimulator, and should not be tried in real world flight.Hope this helps.Kevin W.