Sign in to follow this  
Guest in_04

FS2k4METAR freeware weather program uploaded to avsim!

Guest in_04

But Chris showed the reason in his post.You must install the program in the FS9 main folder in a folder called "FS2k4METAR". Sorry for didn't show this clearly in the README file.The harddisk activity seen by other is the search in the registry for the FS2004 path and the reading of the waether stations.The "error 2 at reading metar data" means no connection to the METAR server. This could be youre internet connection or the server itself.I guess it is the server.The program was tested and developed on Windows XP home so it should work on Windows 2000 too.I also made some test on Windows98 but couldn't test the download function, because there was a firewall on the LAN runing. Maybe a firewall could make problems too. The program use the normal Windows http connections, so this port must be open for the program.ByeMarkus

Guest in_04

Hi all,I made a quick check of the METAR data server I use and got the connection.The server is http://meteora.ucsd.edu/weather/observations/airways/so check if you got connection to the server.If the problem still exist, please check if you have a firewall runing or youre internet connection need a Username/Password.If you have a firewall runing please check if the program could connect to the internet.If youre internet connection needs Username/Password you must run a browser window to establish a connection before you press the "get current weather" button.If the problems still occure I haven't a idea in the moment? I tested the program on several PC's and I only get the error 2 message if the internet connection wasn't established, a firewall runing or the server was down.If someone of you still have the problem, he/she should contact me and I will made a version of the program which try to connect to different METAR servers and use http and ftp connection. I will send this version for a greater BETA test with e-mail only. If we got the problem fixed I could make a new upload here.Sorry again for the problems, but the worsest tester of a programm is the programmer itself :-(ByeMarkus

Guest dlamb

No joy here either I'm afraid. Installed as per instructions. Made separate folder within fs9. Made connection and started fs2k4.exe but immediately got creating error log message. Using latest FSUIPC and Windows2000 prof.

Guest Josve

Still cant connect to the server.The metars from the weather folder loads just fine.I downloaded some metars from noaa server and did some cut and paste and this also worked well.Trying to save the metars doesn't seem to work.I had to open one of the other metarfiles,delete all content,paste the content of the nooa file and save.So I just wonder what txt format the program reads?? Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/zone.jpg ][/div

Guest in_04

I stupid programer forgot the Registry settings :-(Here is the file:REGEDITHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTFSWMETAR.Application = FSWMETAR ApplicationHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTFSWMETAR.ApplicationCLSID = {386B66DC-4C38-45CC-889A-4500BDFCCE75}HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{386B66DC-4C38-45CC-889A-4500BDFCCE75} = FSWMETAR ApplicationHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{386B66DC-4C38-45CC-889A-4500BDFCCE75}ProgId = FSWMETAR.ApplicationHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{386B66DC-4C38-45CC-889A-4500BDFCCE75}LocalServer32 = FSWMETAR.EXEIt contains a reg file, extract it anywhere and doubleclick. On the question if these settings should be included in youre registry, click OK.Hope that this is the fix, because I didn't have a clue what else could be wrong.ByeMarkus

Guest shaunm

Hi Markus Sorry. Still the same error message for me. Shaun.

Guest moshe_be

Don't be so hard on yourself :)But I am still getting the:Error 2 at reading metar data.Does it work for you?I was able to see the url you gave

Guest jirpe

And is this really all for registry? From where takes the program information about the metar server it has to use? Is the server name (or IP address) really hardcoded. I guess not and so I guess that either some configuration file is missing or there should be something more in registry.regards

Guest jirpe

I apologize, the servers are really hardcoded.

Guest petabread03

Hey all,I need help, I can't find the Reg file. Where is it?

Guest in_04

Did you click the Reg file?Please check with regedit if the entry is there.If the entry is there, would you be a beta tester?If yes send me a mail and I will try to reproduce and solve the problem with you (and others?)ByeMarkus

Guest in_04

Hi Moshe,>Don't be so hard on yourself :)The thing I didn't understand is that I tested the program on several PC's and it worked.>But I am still getting the:>Error 2 at reading metar data.>>Does it work for you?Yes, I checked it. I use the program for FS2k2 (another version) and this one since 2002 with the same download routine.The download routine is one from the Microsoft MSDN SDK, so I didn't know where the problem could be.>I was able to see the url you gaveByeMarkus

Guest in_04

Hi,yes the server is hardcoded. I could make a new version with two different hardcoded servers, but I didn't think that the problem is the server.I checked them several times and the program worked on my developer PC without a hitch.I didn't have a only one idea left. Did you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for youre Internet connections?ByeMarkus

Guest in_04

Hi Michael,did it work for you with the Registry settings?ByeMarkus