Sign in to follow this  
dolin

Your worst experiences with a PMDG aircraft

This is a discussion topic about our mishaps caused using a PMDG aircraft.I'm sure everyone here (me first) has caused some "disasters" while flying any PMDG aircraft, maybe for inexperience, maybe for distractions, maybe for a series on unfortunate events.This topic is for sharing our mistakes that build up our experience, learn from them and maybe have a laugh togetherPS: this is not meant to humiliate anyoneWell, I've made a BIG error just yesterday: I was about to depart from RCTP when I began pushing back with parking brake set!I realised my mistake only after pushback as I saw BRAKE TEMP on the upper eicas, and the temperature readout in the GEAR page was 9!!I thought OMG!, read the manual and decided to contunie anyway, as I knew brakes would work as normal (failures were disabled)I had to keep the gear down after takeoff until 5000 feet to cool them a little, anyway the brakes didn't cool until way later.Waiting for your stories!

mastery.jpg

Specs:

Windows 7 64bit / Intel Core i5-3550 @3.30 GHz / 8.00 Gb RAM / ATI Radeon HD 7800 2Gb

landed in KATL on 26L with the Low Decel Rate option on the MD11, landed with autobrake Min, engaged reverse thrust only to find #1 still operating at ~40% fwd thrust. Used up all the runway plus some ILS antennas.

I've had a few that I can think of during the many hours of learning these planes.Landed on an 8000' runway at YSSY with the MD-11F at MLW with flaps 35 and autobrake set to min. I found that using that landing configuration would have been better on a 10,000' runway as I did some MD-11 offroading.There was a few times in the past where I forgot to set the take off trim on the Queen.Ran out of runway a few times with the MD-11 during takeoff while playing with flex temps when it first came out for FS9 (use UTOPIA now)There was the time that I found out that PMDG modeled frozen fuel in the MD-11 when I lost my outboard engines on a flight from PANC to KEWR.More recently, I keep forgetting to press ALT SEL in the J41 during altitude changes. I forgot to release the stop locks once, but at least I haven't melted an engine yet! :(

Flew for miles after lift off from KLAX in a straightish line.... trying to work out what was wrong with the 747 as I couldn't turn. wouldn't follow the lnav, etc... Took me about 50Nm before I realised the autopilot wasn't engaged after turning all the knobs lol.Struggled to get down to land the J41 and just about managed a landing with excursion onto the grass.... wrong airport of course lol.Probably not noticing the time when flying is the biggest distraction though.John Ellison

Got graphic corruption thanks to my 750i motherboard while flying SBGR-EDDF.... It was like someone had emp'd the bloody plane >_>Saw a new bios update, flashed up to date, hope that thing doesn't happen again.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

I was doing loops in the 74X over and over again at 4,000 feet.It was caused by a bug but I can't remember what is was now. Sure looked good from the external view though.

The MD-11 models frozen fuel?My worst flight was with the 744 on a landing at RJAA. I left the A/T on to maintain 145 knots, and somehow forgot to turn it off as I did the flare.Needless to say, by the time I turned off the A/T, idled the thrust levers and touched down I lost most the runway and had to burn some rubber, some blast barriers, and some houses. :( Apparently I forgot the lessons about Go-Arounds at ERAU.Ken Smith

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Have melted the engines on the Jetstream numerous times, and more recently embarassed myself on VATSIM when I forgot about the stop locks."EZE739, from Y1, runway 23 cleared take off.""Cleared takeoff runway 23, EZE739""Vacating left at D1. Engine #2's gone, and Engine #1 isn't responding properly. Left hand turns preferable, EZE739""EZE739, no problem, taxi stand of choice""Stand of choice, much appreciated, EZE739!"

The MD-11 models frozen fuel?My worst flight was with the 744 on a landing at RJAA. I left the A/T on to maintain 145 knots, and somehow forgot to turn it off as I did the flare.Needless to say, by the time I turned off the A/T, idled the thrust levers and touched down I lost most the runway and had to burn some rubber, some blast barriers, and some houses. :( Apparently I forgot the lessons about Go-Arounds at ERAU.Ken Smith
I did the same thing at the same airport!! It was heartbreaking after an 8 hour flight.

The MD-11 models frozen fuel?
Oh yeah it does, if the fuel hits it's freezing point bad things happen. It's kinda cool because when it get's close the fuel system will run the pumps to get it circulating. On page two of the init screen you can specify what kind of fuel your going to use; JP4 is your best bet if you know your going to be flying in some cold weather. I'm going off of the top of my head but I think the freezing point of JP4 is -58C.

I've torched the J41 engines several times by forgetting to put the condition levers to taxi after landing lol...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I have yet to torch a JS41 engine on VATSIM. (Crosses fingers) I have forgotten to disengage the stop locks a few times and once, forgot that if they are not engaged, the prop will turn back to feather. Wondered why the engine wouldn't light, then had to wait 15 minutes for the EGT to drop so I could try starting it again.2 worst incidents have happened in the 737. Once, I was landing in a really, really gusty Louisville. About 10 feet from the runway, I got hit by a wind gust, which lifted me up and slammed me down again as I was trying to go around. FS claimed that I snapped the left main gear off. (Probably wasn't that hard). The other time was on TO from San Antonio. At about 200 ft, my throttle spiked, and reset to idle. I had a deck angle of something like 18 degrees, so the speed bleed off faster than I could recover. Clipped some trees on the end of the runway.

Joe Sherrill

good thread, very interesting to read.well, my worst experience would have to be....Well, this was when i first got my computer and was about to try a flight from EGLL --> KJFK. I started in cold and dark at the gate, started it up, all was good so i taxi'ed after setting up A/C. So there i am sitting in a huge line of ai waiting for clearence, finally im ready to roll. Engines 50% check everything over set toga away i go....One problem, as i said it was my new computer, i forgot to set elevators up in controls, i realised after using up a good 6/8th of the runway. I pause the sim and set them up. I was in a rush and selected elevator trim instead of elevator. Big mistake...I pull back hard and my nose rises up (i didnt realize i was still on elevator trim :( ) then it keeps pitching, i was thinking "what tha :( ". I obvioulsy stall and crash into the nearby houses :( . Ok so i tried again, restarted from the gate, same thing happened. Then i lost interest in doing the long haul B) The next day i realize what was going on, I'm such a Genius B)

Well, my most recent one was that I torched one of the engines in the J41 after forgetting to monitor the EGT. I had the condition levers set to 98% as advised, but the thrust was too high.Yeah, that was a fun landing.