Sign in to follow this  
dolin

Your worst experiences with a PMDG aircraft

Participating in a Cross the pond event on vatsim, that is flying between airports on each side of the Atlantic, landing at KBOS after some 8-9 hours of flight with my Queen, adding throttle to quickly taxi off the rwy since there is a long que of AC's lined up behind me on approach, nothing happens, more throttle, no movement at all, getting nervous, FULL THRUSTH!! Nothing! Realizing I have landed with gear up. DISCONNECT!!! One of my more embarrasing moments on Vatsim and there are plenty to choose from...

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Participating in a Cross the pond event on vatsim, that is flying between airports on each side of the Atlantic, landing at KBOS after some 8-9 hours of flight with my Queen, adding throttle to quickly taxi off the rwy since there is a long que of AC's lined up behind me on approach, nothing happens, more throttle, no movement at all, getting nervous, FULL THRUSTH!! Nothing! Realizing I have landed with gear up. DISCONNECT!!! One of my more embarrasing moments on Vatsim and there are plenty to choose from...
Egads! What happened to your aural alerts and annunciators!? :( Landing a Boeing 747-400 at Boston with the gears up takes dedication. :( Ken Smith

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

"Landing a Boeing 747-400 at Boston with the gears up takes dedication" haha, that was a good one, but i have done that a few times my self :(

Not counting the J41 which I have clearly not spent enough time in the manual to avoid INSTANTLY setting the engines on fire, I've been pretty lucky so far. Trying to land a World MD-11 at Bangor, Maine in a heavy snowstorm with what was apparently a bad AFCAD file proved very stressing on my neck muscles. No ILS and basically zero visibility, but I somehow managed to land after multiple go arounds (NOT the MD-11's fault). The other was an BA EGLL-KJFK flight which I encountered a severe fuel imbalance on because I wasnt around to change the pump switches when tank to engine time happened (before I realized that I could just re-load the fuel and it would all balance out). Engines kept flaming out trying to re balance the load, had to complete the last 1/4 or so of the flight at around 14,000 feet. It was awful!

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

. . . . not having flown the NGX yet !!!!!

I've torched the J41 engines several times by forgetting to put the condition levers to taxi after landing lol...
Same on IVAO yesterday, impossible to vacate the runway ... shame on meat least one or two pilots trained their go around procedure ;)Louis PerrinLFPN

Had a hair-raising landing of the 747X while on a leg to China. Had a smooth approach and was caught by surprise after passing 200ft when a strong crosswind blew the aircraft right off the centerline. Decided to go-around and give it another shot using the opposite side of the runway. The same thing happened and even worse. I was forced to divert the flight to my alternate in the interest of safety, with only 2,000 lbs of fuel remaining after landing successfully.

Had a hair-raising landing of the 747X while on a leg to China. Had a smooth approach and was caught by surprise after passing 200ft when a strong crosswind blew the aircraft right off the centerline. Decided to go-around and give it another shot using the opposite side of the runway. The same thing happened and even worse. I was forced to divert the flight to my alternate in the interest of safety, with only 2,000 lbs of fuel remaining after landing successfully.
Interesting thread, after reading I was struck with that thought that we may need a new FS product/service developed simulating the NTSB (or country of origin equivalent). :(

Ran out of runway a few times with the MD-11 during takeoff while playing with flex temps when it first came out for FS9 (use UTOPIA now)
What is Utopia? Never heard of it before. I tried a google search on it and got no results. Is it like Topcat? Because I love that program.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

LOL yeah, and a Virtual Air Crash Investigation series

Interesting thread, after reading I was struck with that thought that we may need a new FS product/service developed simulating the NTSB (or country of origin equivalent). :(
I'm pretty sure I'm the crappiest simmer on earth, got so many stories of failed flights that I wouldn't know where to start :(

BBC News Report: Earlier this morning an MD-11 Commercial Airliner flying with Precision Manuals Development Group crashed at Georgia's Hartsfield-Atlanta International Airport after the pilot attempted to depart the runway with the control-yoke disconnected. No-one was injured when professional pilot George Morris forgot to ensure his flight controls were connected to his aircraft before the failed departure. PMDG's Robert S. Randazzo was not available to comment, but the groups help desk suggested this was a common occurrence. The crashed MD-11 was written off, making this is the eight-hundredth hull loss of a PMDG aircraft this month.After a brief investigation, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) commented by saying "ROFL!"

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

BBC News Report: Earlier this morning an MD-11 Commercial Airliner flying with Precision Manuals Development Group crashed at Georgia's Hartsfield-Atlanta International Airport after the pilot attempted to depart the runway with the control-yoke disconnected. No-one was injured when professional pilot George Morris forgot to ensure his flight controls were connected to his aircraft before the failed departure. PMDG's Robert S. Randazzo was not available to comment, but the groups help desk suggested this was a common occurrence. The crashed MD-11 was written off, making this is the eight-hundredth hull loss of a PMDG aircraft this month.After a brief investigation, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) commented by saying "ROFL!"
That was brilliant.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

That's great!!! :(

HAHAHAHA Absoulutly brilliant, i think you were taking a stab at my silly mistake, but i liked it :(

Hi.Here's what happened to me using the PMDG J41:The first time was my first flight after completing the tutorial flight and my left engine caught fire during engine start. I do know that this one was caused by the props still being feathered at engine start!The next attempted flight was only slightly better. I decided to do a flight from Melbourne (YMML) to Adelaide (YPAD). I was holding short of the runway, I received ATC clearance and so I added power to taxi into position. Imagine my horror when my right engine caught fire! I couldn't believe that I didn't even get to my takeoff roll and my plane was out of commission! To make things worse. On my next five flights that I tried, ALL of them ended when taxiing into takeoff position and having an engine catch fire. I still don't know what I did wrong on these flights.This all meant I came oh so close to throwing the darn J41 out and never flying it again. But I persevered and now I fly it often without problems. It's a really great plane and I now enjoy flying it regularly!Mark