Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Problem with addisp window

I run RC 4.3 over a network and I have encountered problems in displaying the advdisp window. I tried a flight with PMDG 747-400 in FS9. I have setup FSUIPC to hide/display the advdisp window with key 'm'. When I start RC the display window is displayed as normal. I can hide it by pressing 'm' as expected. But the problem I encounter is that sometimes it's not possible to bring back the window again by pressing 'm'. What could this be? If I quit RC and restart I will get the advdisp window back.

I run RC 4.3 over a network and I have encountered problems in displaying the advdisp window. I tried a flight with PMDG 747-400 in FS9. I have setup FSUIPC to hide/display the advdisp window with key 'm'. When I start RC the display window is displayed as normal. I can hide it by pressing 'm' as expected. But the problem I encounter is that sometimes it's not possible to bring back the window again by pressing 'm'. What could this be? If I quit RC and restart I will get the advdisp window back.
advdisp isn't used any more. you can delete it from the \modules directoryfsuipc now handles the menu displayjd

advdisp isn't used any more. you can delete it from the \modules directoryfsuipc now handles the menu displayjd
At any rate it is the menu display I can't get back

In PMDG "M" is used for bringing up the main 2D captain's full instrument view as opposed to "Z" to "Zero-In" on the main cluster instruments. You can check the PMDG setting with FS open on the aircraft. Go to the FS window menu bar and you should find a PMDG entry. Click it for a dropdown and select keyboard assignments. If you see "M" is taken then you can try reassigning it for the PMDG but I recommend picking another key combo in FSUIPC. I use Ctrl-X. I see that is called in the list Advanced Display Toggle.(In much older FSUIPC versions I had to manually edit it in FSUIPC.ini)See if changing the assignment helps.

In PMDG "M" is used for bringing up the main 2D captain's full instrument view as opposed to "Z" to "Zero-In" on the main cluster instruments. You can check the PMDG setting with FS open on the aircraft. Go to the FS window menu bar and you should find a PMDG entry. Click it for a dropdown and select keyboard assignments. If you see "M" is taken then you can try reassigning it for the PMDG but I recommend picking another key combo in FSUIPC. I use Ctrl-X. I see that is called in the list Advanced Display Toggle.(In much older FSUIPC versions I had to manually edit it in FSUIPC.ini)See if changing the assignment helps.
Note that it is small 'm' not capital M I use to hide/display the window, also sometimes it works pressing m to bring back the window and always to hide it. So I doubt this is the problem.One more thing I maybe should have mentioned is that I have FS2crew for PMDG 747-400 installed. But I never avtivated it when encountering this problem

I ran a test with the PMDG 737NG default key assignments. Even though in the PMDG keyboard assignment showed "M" for panel switching it only worked with "m". If I used "M" while in the 737 it switched power sources or something. I did not investigate this further.The newer format for FSUIPC key mapping shows a four field parameter as such in the Keys section (ctrl-x is the sample):2=88,10,1073,0This acted somewhat slower than what I was used to with this statement in the General section:AdvDisplayHotkey=88,10but that might be for FS9 only.I'll query Pete Dowson about this interaction difference.Does this happen with default aircraft as well?Another item is perhaps your machine and network performance. It appears that this function now passes these key commands via windows interprocessing messages. I'm not sure the original function did this.Since you say this is intermittent I still lean toward key assignment interference and the timing going on as Windows negotiates it interprocess communications traffic.

I ran a test with the PMDG 737NG default key assignments. Even though in the PMDG keyboard assignment showed "M" for panel switching it only worked with "m". If I used "M" while in the 737 it switched power sources or something. I did not investigate this further.The newer format for FSUIPC key mapping shows a four field parameter as such in the Keys section (ctrl-x is the sample):2=88,10,1073,0This acted somewhat slower than what I was used to with this statement in the General section:AdvDisplayHotkey=88,10but that might be for FS9 only.I'll query Pete Dowson about this interaction difference.Does this happen with default aircraft as well?Another item is perhaps your machine and network performance. It appears that this function now passes these key commands via windows interprocessing messages. I'm not sure the original function did this.Since you say this is intermittent I still lean toward key assignment interference and the timing going on as Windows negotiates it interprocess communications traffic.
There are no such keyboard assignment for PMDG 747-400, m or M isn't used. I tried yesterday again and this time hide/display worked all the time for RC. Only difference compared to earlier occasions with the problem was that this time I didn't run ASE for weather

ASE is known to be very performance demanding and has created several issues in timing involved interaction. It probably slows down also the server/client communications on a WideFS setup as well.I think there have been service packs related to ASE demand from Hi-Fi Simulations. Their support forum is here on AVSIM.Where does ASE reside in your setup? Client or Host.

There are no such keyboard assignment for PMDG 747-400, m or M isn't used. I tried yesterday again and this time hide/display worked all the time for RC. Only difference compared to earlier occasions with the problem was that this time I didn't run ASE for weather

Where does ASE reside in your setup? Client or Host.
Client like RC 4.3. But this has worked fine before with other planes.

After making the flight again yesterday I have found out this. It seems to have with ASE to do. If I start RC before running ASE then hide/display window worked until the end of the flight.Then nothing happened when I pressed 'm'. Then I pressed '2' and then the window displayed and I was given the evaluation of the flight. When I started up ASE before RC , 'm' for hiding displaying the window didn't work after I had opened the FMC window. Any new ideas on how to solve this?

It sounds like ASE may have trapped m before it got to RC if it has any hot keys when you started ASE first.Also you are running FS9, right? Therefore ASE is using FSUIPC to interface with FS9's weather engine. In this case starting ASE before RC would tie up FSUIPC communications to a great deal especially with DWC on. Since you are using FSUIPC in FS9 try turning off DWC in ASE and let FSUIPC do any wind smoothing, etc. That was actually on their support forum as I recall and/or in their manual. I don't know if ASE will pass its wind smoothing options to FSUIPC as in earlier versions so you might have to set them in FSUIPC yourself.Remember also that the PMDGs are more resource intensive as well both in graphics rendering and in process communications. A great deal of FS graphics rendering is in fact in the main CPU as opposed to the graphics card. Put it altogether with ASE demands plus FS itself and you've got a lot of CPU process competition going. In you O/S shut down any not needed processes. If you download a weather archive (same date and proper time) before flight, then you can turn off your Internet connections and stop your anti-virus processes from running.With the demands of ASE it can also have your net communications tied up. You might try running RC on the FS host and ASE on the client. I think it would not hurt to have ASE FS communications on a lower priority if that would do it.