Sign in to follow this  
Guest B1900 Mech

Approach Speeds

Guest DSN

Hello all,I'm looking for some rule of thumb numbers for approach speeds. Since there are no speed restrictions in FS2004, I would like to try and mirror the speeds that the AI fly on approach (any where below 10,000 feet) so I dont' get over run by other approaching aircraft.ANy thoughts?thanks-DSN

Guest Max Cowgill

Class B airspace speeds must be below 250 kts. I believe it's 200 kts for Class C & D. Actual approach speeds vary with each aircraft. If you can, try and get your hands on a POH for whichever plane you're planning on flying. Are you flying heavies or GA a/c? -Max Cowgill

Guest ssurjap

If you look at the kneeboard, it will also give you the speeds for the various Vs.

Guest B1900 Mech

The NAVY has the best approach method, AOA, or angle of attack. I try to maintain about 1.5 to 2.5 degrees positive pitch on final. This will also warn you of any flap missettings. For example, a high AOA would indicate that your flaps were not lowered enough, Or your A/S was too low. But if the flight model is correct, Use the published approach speeds in the applicable manual. Also if you can get ahold of a US Govnerment Book of terminal procedures (Approach Plates) There is a rate of decent/ airspeed chart for diferent glidesliopes. This will give you a very good indication of the expected rate of decent on the approach. Why is this info usefull? What if you have an airspeed failure?!!! Jim