Sign in to follow this  
Krister

Time frame getting from KMDW to KORD?

Perhaps someone with knowledge of the Chicago area could be so kind and provide some info!I am going to the EAA AirVenture again in Oskosh in July and intend to visit some friends in Sarasota before heading back to Finland again. Air Tran arrives at Midway at 01:56 PM and then my flight back to Sweden is scheduled to leave O'Hare at 04:25PM. So there is on paper 2 h and 30 min between arriving and leaving, but considering traffic in the city and how smooth the operations at the airports are, is there any cause for concern whether I will make it in time?Any feedback much appreciated!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Without having any knowledge of the Chicago area, I think you may be cutting it fine a little...You need quite some time for check-in and customs/immigration in any major hub.Assuming you land on time ;)You will need to get your baggage then transfer to ORD... that is going to take a good hour I would guess...EDIT: I just checked MDW ORD transfer on google and found that it should take 30m +45m + transfer times to get to and from the necessary transit stations, so call it 1 hour 30 minutes... I would say you would be cutting it too fine, given the time you need to check in and clear customs/immigration for your intercontinental flight...Maybe doable, but the stress factor is high, with so many variables available to put a spanner in the works...Andrew

Without having any knowledge of the Chicago area, I think you may be cutting it fine a little...You need quite some time for check-in and customs/immigration in any major hub.Assuming you land on time ;)You will need to get your baggage then transfer to ORD... that is going to take a good hour I would guess...EDIT: I just checked MDW ORD transfer on google and found that it should take 30m +45m + transfer times to get to and from the necessary transit stations, so call it 1 hour 30 minutes... I would say you would be cutting it too fine, given the time you need to check in and clear customs/immigration for your intercontinental flight...Maybe doable, but the stress factor is high, with so many variables available to put a spanner in the works...Andrew
Many thanks for your input Andrew! Actually, I will only be carrying hand luggage and I would expect customs/immigration to be slightly swifter since we are leaving the country compared to when arriving. Or? Also, If I recall correctly I can also check in with my carrier to Europe, SAS, over the Internet whithin 24 h before the flight leaves, which should buy me some time!Again, I appreciate your answer!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

rule of thumb for flights in the midwest, east and south USA during late spring, summer and fall: if at all possible depart before mid-day. why you may ask ... thunderstorms. these are more likely to cause their delays and cancellations later in the day.traffic in and around chicago makes for SLOW over-ground travel. expect to average 20-30 mph. i've only had one fast over-ground trip through chicago ... driving to a wedding on 14 sept '01.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

That is cutting it very tight.. over-road transit from Midway to O'hare can be a mess.Your best bet is to grab a taxi, and tell the driver his tip depends on how quickly he gets you there..

That is cutting it very tight.. over-road transit from Midway to O'hare can be a mess.Your best bet is to grab a taxi, and tell the driver his tip depends on how quickly he gets you there..
Ok, thanx guys! Taxi is the only option I have considered but regardless I realize from your comments that it'll be tight - nothing is allowed to go wrong. I have to check whether the Airtran flight can changed, but I think we didn't choose that option... ouch!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Does one actually need to clear customs/immigrations when leaving the United States? I'm not sure I remember ever having to do that. :(

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I think you're mistaken...when you're leaving customs/immigrations is at your destination.
danny:you are correct for leaving the US.i got messed up in that you go through US customs twice when returning/entering by air: at departure airport and again at arrival.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Customs also depends on how many are ahead of you and how much they luggage they have.

Actually, given the responses I've received here and from other sources, I'm looking into rescheduling my Air Tran flight so that I arrive at Midway the evening before instead. I just checked the booking list for the SAS flight to Sweden, and while they are still places left they cost some 2,500

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------