Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

PMDG

I've been considering getting a PMDG (please exuse me if I have the initials reversed, I am dyslexic) I usually buy captain sim airplaines, and was wondering if there is any real re learning I would have to do to fly one of PMDG aircraft, and what do you feel about them?

Worth every dime. Awesome simulation. It's slightly different to boeings and because of it's system complexity it has quite a steep learning curve, but it's probably the best airliner simulation out there

You'll get some people who disagree, but I think it is fair to say that PMDG make the best commercial airliner add-ons for FS. That's not to say Captain Sim ones are not impressive, but PMDG ones are probably ever so slightly more refined. If you want my personal opinion on PMDG stuff, I think their 747 is the most impressive aircraft that has ever been made for flight simulator.Since PMDG go for as much realism as they can reasonably manage, that means you do have to fly them properly to get the best out of them, and in the case of the MD-11, that is going to mean doing some tutorial stuff and reading the manual, because the MD-11 does differ from Boeing and Airbus aircraft in a number of ways. The MD-11 has been compared in some respects to a Boeing with a touch of Airbus, since it is essentially a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 that had some flight protection systems and other modern avionics added to it. That makes it unusual in comparison to a lot of other airliners, but it also makes it an enjoyable challenge to master, so you definitely won't get bored with the thing. On the other hand, ff you are happier with a Boeing, you might prefer their 747, which like their MD-11 is a truly excellent simulation, which pilots of the real thing are known to use for practicing with, but which one you go for is up to you.If you have been flying a Captain Sim airliner properly, then you will certainly not have a problem flying a PMDG one properly either, providing you read the manual of course, and you'd have to do that for a Captain Sim jet too, so there's nothing too different about that. You do get what you pay for with PMDG, and you can regard the P in their name (precision) with a good deal of trust.On a related matter, since you are dyslexic, it is also worth noting that PMDG's support forum here on Avsim is frequented by many helpful people who will doubtless be happy to assist you, so if the prospect of reading a complex manual seems daunting, don't forget that option.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

MD-11 is awesome, and your Captain Sim training will stand you in good stead. Just keep in mind it is not a Boeing and some things are a little different. Also, unlike Captain Sim products, you will find an excellent tutorial that ought to ease the learning curve.You would probably be pleasantly surprised about the FPS bump with the MD-11; the 747 Al is talking about is closer to Captain Sim when it comes to frame rates. All of these airplanes are very nice and I have them, although I fly the CS stuff as a little more approachable for my tastes.

PMDG make the best airline simulator airplanes for MSFS, period. If your looking for a "simulator" experience then you will not go wrong with PMDG.The MD-11 tutorial Tim mentions is excellent as he stated. Very easy to follow...

I agree with what everyone said about PMDG, they make wonderful airliners. Although for FSX I only own the J41 its really a work of art and I cant wait for the 737NGX to come out.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm not much of a big jet enthusiast, in MSFS... A year ago, I bought the CS 757 because it was on sale.. and must say I was impressed. It gobbled up all of simming time, learning the systems and learning to fly it by the book. I drifted back to light props when I was developing the Bonanza.. and never really went back to "jett-ing". The other day, I was poking around in BestBuy, and saw the boxed, PMDG 747X for $29, so I grabbed it. Like the CS 757, it's a full-time job just learning all the ins and outs, even WITH my 757 experience... but it's WELL worth it. Like any model.. you can figure out a way to just get it airborne and go zoom-zoom.. but if you treat flying this model realistically, it will demand realistic preperation and piloting out of you. Flight-planning, loading, fuel-loading.. stepped climbs, careful attention to landing weights.. pre-flight weather briefings (especially for winds aloft).. Most of the "work" (as it should be), is done before you sit down in the cold and dark cockpit.. and knowing that you've gone about as though you really WERE about to fly this giant, makes all the pre-start, and start-up work particularly exciting.As wonderful as the CS 757 is... this model goes a step further... I can't put my finger on it, but PMDG has a masterpiece in this 747.. They've managed to capture the feel of flying a big jet.. right down to the landing.. I'd imagine the MD-11 is just as nice..

Lovely add-on. Top-notch. One of my favorites.For a more detailed impression of my views, my review is on Mutley's Hangar...http://mutleyshangar.com/features/martw/md11.htm

This is one of the few Flight simulator add-ons that have taken me by surprise right from the first flight. For example, a broad smile crept across my face the instant I heard the aural alerts. For a split second there I thought I was on the bridge of Captain Kirk

I've been considering getting a PMDG (please exuse me if I have the initials reversed, I am dyslexic) I usually buy captain sim airplaines, and was wondering if there is any real re learning I would have to do to fly one of PMDG aircraft, and what do you feel about them?
Once you go PMDG, you won't go back to CS... The MD-11 is easily the best airliner available for FSX.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

CS products are good visually but FM and aircraft systems simulation are not so good. It is necessary to apply many user made fixes to bring CS products to acceptable level. Top PMDG products (i.e. heavy airliners) are very good overally good but also expensive (at least for some time after release). I think PMDG's strong point is long and careful beta-testing process so it is hard to find significant bugs in their top products. At present you should try 747-400X which is now sold in reasonable price. Yet if you are not hurry you should lay aside some money and wait for their 737 NGX. It will be out in several months in MD-11's price-tag as I suppose. This plane will most probably become FSX iconic airliner.

supporter.jpgpilot.gif

CS products are good visually but FM and aircraft systems simulation are not so good. It is necessary to apply many user made fixes to bring CS products to acceptable level. Top PMDG products (i.e. heavy airliners) are very good overally good but also expensive (at least for some time after release). I think PMDG's strong point is long and careful beta-testing process so it is hard to find significant bugs in their top products. At present you should try 747-400X which is now sold in reasonable price. Yet if you are not hurry you should lay aside some money and wait for their 737 NGX. It will be out in several months in MD-11's price-tag as I suppose. This plane will most probably become FSX iconic airliner.
This is absolutely correct. You will be looking in the CS forums to find fixes for autopilot anomalies and wierd sound problems that all require config file changes. The PMDG MD-11 is a very nicely tested and refined product and I agree with everybody here. It is the best heavy payware product available today. I own the CS 757,767 and C130.

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

I also have some comparison: CS 727 versus PMDG MD-11 and 747. I would say CS beta-testing is a complete failure. They released four patches for 727 and several crucial bugs are not fixed until now. For instance two numeric VOR2 indicators are associated with the same NAV1 radio exactly as VOR1 indicator built into RMI gauge! Also this plane is very underpowered so one smart guy created almost completely new CS 727 flight-model much more similar to real thing. Unfortunately frontal wheel went a bit underground during that process...real mess. :(

supporter.jpgpilot.gif