Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

FS9 -- I'm about to give up

Steve,I agree with geofa and others' sentiments - this sim is much better than its predecessors. The subtleties alone are innumerable. With time, it will show its true colors.With regard to your problems, I can't offer too many suggestions. I've had some problems with compatibility (none with FS9, however, and I don't get the stutters you describe) that were all solved by reinstalling drivers- First I uninstall video and audio, then I install video, then audio, then reinstall directx (now 9.0b). It's always worked for me.I have my fs9 locked at 21fps. I run 80 mile vis, 80 mile clouds, 100% density. Mesh, autogen, ai, all maxed. I have the global texture setting one notch below maximum, as my geforce ti4200 only has 64mb ram. My PC is a P4 2.26/533FSB/768MB PC2100RAM. I get 21 FPS everywhere except at the biggest airports (KEWR, KJFK, KLAX) where it dips to the teens. Also, overcast drops my fps to single digits (I can't understand that - is there really that much difference in polygon count between 7/8ths and 8/8ths?). You should be expecting the same or better.When is the last time you clean-installed the OS? Format and start over?Do you regularly run RegCleaner? Do you disable your virus scanner when running FS9? Soundblaster has some new drivers up for audigy cards (july), have you tried to see if there are new versions for your card?That's all I can suggest - keep at it. You will find a sweet spot. I believe that the problem is not related to FS9, per se, but something with your machine that is hitting FS9...Best of luck, sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Steve...When you launch dxdiag with the ghost option and look at inactive driver entries, the option that appears is called "backup". It moves the driver entries over into a reserve registry key in case you need to restore them.-John

sg, The last clean install of my OS was in late March when my PC was custom built. I defrag about every other week -- last time was last week. I use Reg Clean after almost every reboot. My virus scan (McAfee Online) is totally disabled unless I want to run it (about every two-three weeks) and then I check the boxes in the Run:msconfig boxes. I am using DirectX 9.0b and close out every other operating program except Explorer and Systray before I bring up FS9 (0r FS2002).I have a sound blaster 5.1 card and may try lowering the acceleration in DxDiag (I had to do that when I first ran FS2002 with my old PC). As you can read in the string above, I've tried to change my video driver to the 30.82 but seem to have some problem maybe in the registry. My video card is an AGP card and not a PCI card. The installer is looking for some PCI ID in an .ini file. Could that be an issue?

Guest cw1011

I really think its something system related. I'm running a 2.6 gig with a Radeon 9700 Pro - since the 2.6 is using a socket adapter I'm guessing that it's performing more like a 2.4, and am having absolutely no problems. The flashing with the radeons and the instability in full screen mode can be managed until a new set of drivers comes out - but my performance in the sim is very solid 20fps just about everywhere except in broken clouds near the ground with a busy airport ahea. Hang in there - unistall any add-ons and start adding them on one at a time. You might also want to start thinking about a new card.Colin

Guest JEH

Den: I just got an FX 5200 and it works good. I have FPS problems around high density airports and city scenery, but everyone seems to be having similar problems w/ FS9. The FPS swing between 15 high and 6 low at LAX. Away from high density scene areas I get to my locked 22.Hope this helps:)

Guest flying_pilot

Hi!I'm sorry being a black cat here.. but how did you managed Bill Grabowski's ERJ panel works in FS9? I did installed the panel, but not success.

I'm one of Bill's beta testers -- did the FS2002 beta for him. I got it to work in FS9 by copying over everything into FS9. If you unzip the files into FS9 it replaces the GPS_export.dll in FS9 with one that doesn't work. Keep that file in place. Also, edit in the following into your FS9.cfg: {Oldmodules} FSSound.dll=1Check out the ERJ discussion at http://www.fsnordic.net/ under the ERJ Project Support Forum -- click on Discussion first.Good luck!Steve

Guest flying_pilot

Wow.. what a quick reply... I'm heading to the ERJ forum. Thanks :-).

Steve, refer to my earlier post..when you get those 1 fps stutters please do ctrl-alt-del and check if it shows 10% or so allocated to fs9 and system idle is 85-90%. If thats the case then I have found a solution and i'll mail you. Let me know.

I have a similar rig, and I keep my settings about where you do. I had problems with the 44.xx drivers. I also had 512mb ram.Added another 512, changed the drivers back to the 31.40's and BAM. I can now run the PMDG 737NG with almost all sliders up, and average 18-20 fps. Even in weather!PS, I set antialiasing in riva tuner at 2x with anti filtering at 2x. I leave it off in FS

Steve,I can't say for sure that your video card drivers are causing your problem but if I was in your position I would not be happy until I could uninstall video drivers cleanly.If you can uninstall your existing Nvidia drivers when you reboot your PC should use the standard VGA display adapter, if it doesn't you need to force it to.Either from your normal windows or from safe mode (whichever works), go into device manager and set the display adapter to standard VGA.Once running with standard VGA mode open c:windowsinf and look for nv_disp.inf files or they may be nv4_disp, rename them so that you can get them back if needed. I usually just change the last letter to '#' so you get 'nv_disp.in#'.Open any other INF file that has 'nv' in its name and read the contents, if it says at the top of the file it is for Nvidia rename that file.All this should clear out any INF file relating to Nvidia so you should be able start a fresh.Now install whichever driver you want to use, it should pick up on the card in your system and do a clean install. If not go into Device Manager and change the display adapter to the Nvidia one you have and select 'have disk' then point it to where you have stored the drivers.if that doesn't work then use Install new hardware -> display adapter and again 'have disk' and point it to where the drivers are.HTHI also don't think increasing RAM past 512MB will help and above 512 can cause problems with Win98.Upgrading to XP will give you a more stable platform and does manage memory better than Win98 but I am not convinced that will solve your problem either.Best of luck.

Are you using Win XP? I'm still with Win98Se. I have a problem with my video drivers (as described above). For some reason the installation of the 30.82 drivers says that it can't find a PCI ID for my card. That's funny since my card is an AGP card.

Babua,have you tried checking FS that way when it is running with good frame rates and without stutter?I ask because I *think* that when you do CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up Task Manager FS goes to 'sleep' and will show only 10% CPU usage. It is a while since I tried it so I may be wrong but it is worth checking just in case.Rgds