Sign in to follow this  
Guest VFRDude

Making Mesh

Guest VFRDude

Hello,I am trying to develop mesh for the Virgin Islands. I've been having a lot of troubles. I've read (and downloaded) tons of guides, but none seem to be working correctly. They all seem to say that I need .hgt files, however no matter what/where I download the mesh, all I get is:-ASTGTM_N18W065_dem.tif-ASTGTM_N18W065_num.tif-n18.dt2-n18w06.bil-n18w06.blw-n18w06.hdr-n18w06.prj-n18w06.stx-METADATA.dbf, .prj, .shp, .shx, .xml-Six .adf files-Arc.dir, arc0000.dat and .nit, arc0001 .dat and .nitI haven't found any .hgt files or anyway to convert to them. I'm not sure what I can do with these files.I did try converting the .bil to .hgt using SRTMFill but the mesh was about 105000 feet high. :( Thanks,Pierre.

Hello Pierre,I suppose that there really is no problem using tif or bil files, although that will require changing parameters in the inf file. However, you can also get the hgt file at the NASA Shuttle Radar Topography Mission FTP site at:http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/or you can use the US Geological Survey Seamless Web site:http://seamless.usgs.gov/index.phpalthough they will send you to Earth Explorer for SRTM data:http://earthexplorer.usgs.govNormally, you will find a certain amount of voids in SRTM data, particularly in hilly or mountainous areas like the Virgin Islands, so you will need to interpolate the data in order to fill them.That region is missing the elevation for Tortola and some of the smaller islands, as you have noticed. I mentioned that to the developers during the beta test, but they were too busy with all the other problems and could not fix it, so I made my own back then. If, for any reason, you cannot make the mesh yourself, just let me know and I shall gladly send it to you.Best regards.Luis

Guest VFRDude

Luis,Thanks for the help. I have downloaded the HGT files for the region, however Tortola is my main focus for mesh, so could you perhaps send the mesh to me? If not, that's alright, I'll see what I can do with what I have.Thank you very much!Pierre.

Guest sandyshimpson

The solution to your problem is really interesting.I have some more points regarding this.I have bookmarked your post and reply you soon.

Luis,Thanks for the help. I have downloaded the HGT files for the region, however Tortola is my main focus for mesh, so could you perhaps send the mesh to me? If not, that's alright, I'll see what I can do with what I have.Thank you very much!Pierre.

Looking forward to it, thanks. Here are some comparison images.Default TortolaModified TortolaDefault Beef Island airportModified Beef IslandDefault Beef Island airportModified Beef Island airport with Delblond terminalBest regards.Luis

Luis - Do you happen to have the mesh for St. Barths? If so, is it available for download either here or Flightsim? I really enjoyed your mesh for FS9 and would like to improve FSX but don't know how to make mesh. I've read till I'm blue, but can't seem to grasp it.Thanks.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Sure, glad to share it with you, please provide an e-mail address (use the Private Message function of the forum if you prefer.)Best regards.Luis