Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

FSW: Fps and Fix for Fs2004 Available Now!

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Paul,> "Radeons do not AA alpha textures at all">>Thanks Paul, Msfs use many of Alpha texture, this is probably>why :-rollTis the same reason you will see a lot of Radeon user "shimmer" post as with high quality LOD settings there is a lot of shimmering to get used to.Also why I have a hard time reccomending these great cards even a $299 9800P! :(Save yer dough for a new NV38/NV40 I guess.

Chris to the rescue as always. Nice work!! One question. Could you let us know what files are for the clouds and what files are for the haze and darker night lights? I prefer FS's lighter night lights and haze as well, but would really like to only use your FPS freindly clouds. Thanks,Tim

Duh, after viewing them as thumbnails I can kinda tell what is what now. Slaping palm against my forehead.Tim

I had a telepathic message from Bill Gates - he thanks you also. The check is in the mail.Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Squitters

Hey Guys :-waveThis looks interesting..:-cool got a prob tho, I can't see any infoin the readme.doc ( a prob I have with my pc ) so how to set them up..?thankyou,Steve

Chris, you are a star :-) :-beerchug I will download the new clouds and see if it helps on my mid-range system.I also look forward to FSW for FS9, if it si anything like FSW for FS2k2 it will be a 'must'.Many thanks.

Guest Bigshot

I don't know about alpha textures. I have nothing wiggling on my screen. Running the 9700 Pro with 4xAA & 16xAF. I'm flying with the visibility at 90 miles and the default clouds draw distance maxed with is 80 miles. 3d clouds are maxed. Cloud density on high. (not maxed; just on high) Unless I'm flying in a thunderstorm, I don't even notice the clouds hitting the framerate at all. IF FS is using alpha textures somewhere, I don't see em. AA&AF work awesome everywhere. I was flying in Montana the other day and I could see the runway from 30 miles away at 28K feet.This alpha texture issue is nonsense in FS2k2 and FS2k4. It may be a problem is some other game, but it is not even an issue in the FS Flight Sim. My pic quality is awesome. Also, ATI's 2d quality literally blows away anything I've seen from Nvidia. If you do a lot of 2d work, like digital photography, use ATI. The onscreen result is just awesome compared to the washed out look of any Nvidia card gaming card.

Guest PaulL01

>I don't know about alpha textures. I have nothing wiggling>on my screen. Running the 9700 Pro with 4xAA & 16xAF. I'm>flying with the visibility at 90 miles and the default clouds>draw distance maxed with is 80 miles. 3d clouds are maxed. >Cloud density on high. (not maxed; just on high) Unless I'm>flying in a thunderstorm, I don't even notice the clouds>hitting the framerate at all. IF FS is using alpha textures>somewhere, I don't see em. AA&AF work awesome everywhere. I>was flying in Montana the other day and I could see the runway>from 30 miles away at 28K feet.>>This alpha texture issue is nonsense in FS2k2 and FS2k4. It>may be a problem is some other game, but it is not even an>issue in the FS Flight Sim. My pic quality is awesome. Also,>ATI's 2d quality literally blows away anything I've seen from>Nvidia. If you do a lot of 2d work, like digital photography,>use ATI. The onscreen result is just awesome compared to the>washed out look of any Nvidia card gaming card. Dear MG,1.Plain fact for you: Radeons do not AA any alpha textures in any game no matter D3D or OGL, it is not a limit of the hardware it is however a choice that ATI made when they programed smoothvison 1 and smoothvision 2.0 this is very common knowledge to any game developer, it is common knowledge to ATI as they are the ones who proveded the world with their white paper on it.2.You have admitted several times on this forum and elswhere that you adjusted your settings to get rid of the shimmering yourself, you stated that you changed to "performance settings" in the ATI control panel.Those settings you are using are a common adjustment for users of ATI cards when running into this problem, do you know what they do? Probaly not, but I'll give you a clue, you get to use the highest level filtering that was available to GF2 cards (what was your last card?) when mipmaping (bilinear) but that may not mean anything to you, but then do not pretend that thoise settings are of any high quality, OK?Please stop trying to defend, it is only hardware and I can only laugh for only so long... :-lol sigh....no really.Thanks.

Anyway I'm very happy with my Radeon 9800pro quality, clear graphics and nice anti-alias.Maybe some clouds with dark edges that I see are the missing alpha textures ???Ulisses

Guest Bigshot

_____________________________________________________________________2.You have admitted several times on this forum and elswhere that you adjusted your settings to get rid of the shimmering yourself, you stated that you changed to "performance settings" in the ATI control panel____________________________________________________________________I think you're remembering inaccurately. I run performance mode 16xAF because it gives a huge performance boost and provides for a perfect transition between high res textures close up and low res textures far off. That's by choice just cause I like the look better. ATI gives a high gloss look to quality AF which I didn't particularly care for in FSim. I force trilinear back on in the sim settings so I'm still seeing trilinear filtered textures whether in performance mode AF or quality mode AF. I think what you're remembering was my issue with Gerrish's GTL trees which twinkled pretty bad and was driving me nuts. I'd reduced the card's mipmap setting from max to high and got rid of that twinkling. After a while, not liking the way the other textures looked, I turned that mipmap slider back to max and got rid of Gerrish's GTL trees, replacing em' with his connifers. They were much better. I'd always had a slight shimmer way off in the distance in FS2k2, but that had nothing to do with performance mode or quality mode in AF and was never anything near as bad as what I'd seen on my GF2GTS card (which was terrible in comparion; but then it was only a GF2). It had more to do with the Cat 2.3 drivers I was using. Switching from the Cat 2.3 to the Omega version of the 3.6 cleaned up any minor shimmer I had left left in FS2k2. Besides, FS2k4 wouldn't run with the Cat 2.3 drivers so I had no choice but to get the latest.I'm now running FS2k2 texture and scenery from the world folder in FS2k4 in FS2k2. It's awesome. If FS clouds are not alaised, that's a good thing, I say. Not wasting resources on something that shouldn't be alaised in the first place. Maybe that helps explain why the ATI cards tear through the clouds like they're not even there. I don't see any jaggies on the way through. Just puffy clouds.

Guest dirk1000

He Chris,I did this little job to have a numerical indicator of the frame rate increase with FSW clouds textures.The lefth column is with the default FS9 clouds textures, and the right one is whit FSW clouds texures.You can see the best increase in FPS is when the sky is more and less half the screen visible (no much diff. in both ends).Numeric FPS results in screen-shoot.For this test I used:FS9 Setting/Display as recomended.User-defined weather.Cluods: Overcast. 1 cu

Chris, I believe that these clouds have removed alot of the stuttering that I was having. You are THE MAN! Great Job.Todd