Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

FSW: Fps and Fix for Fs2004 Available Now!

Hi, Theses files are only created to replace the original Fs2004 default texture for much better performance on clouds for lower mid and high system with all variation and many layers, fix the horizon at sunset and a darker night lights environment. These files do not meat FSW standard quality; they are only created to temporary fix some performance on clouds and fix.- You will notice better performance with clouds using detailed clouds even with many layers on lower mid and high system, but the clouds quality is reduced for better performance, the stratus are not affected in quality, still 10x better then the simple clouds option in fs2004. - Recommended to use the Ms Ultra High Setting in the DisplayWeather and move the clouds percentage to 100%- On High end computer system, you can try to increase the clouds draw distant slowly more then 40 mil and test the performance.- You will notice there will be no more line in the horizon at dusk/sunset when the sun sleeps.- You will notice darker environment at night and less brighter clouds at night. You should NOT see any clouds at night if you saw them this is neans, your monitor is have too much brightness, reduce it until the clouds contrast is gone.-A complete redone Weather/Environment is in progress from scratch with Fs Sky World 2004 for Fs2004. Like I change the weatherenvironment Fs Sky World 2002 for fs2002, you will see even better result in Fs2004.Available at FSW Web Site and Avsim: Read the Readme.doc Before!http://fsw.simflight.com/FSWFs2k4fix.htmlThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Eric

Hello, Thanks Chris, much much better frame rate with clouds and better black night time :-)BestEric

Guest pez_man

Yes, thanks a lot! Downloading as I write!!rgrds/fredrik

Guest bigun

Chris,Thank you. Great clouds, great frame rates, great night time.I'm happy:)Good job!George Stoddard

Guest wathomas777

You mention that they are not to FSW standards (which I have found to be quite high indeed). How do the compare with the Default FS2004 clouds though? Your thoughts?

>You mention that they are not to FSW standards (which I have>found to be quite high indeed). How do the compare with the>Default FS2004 clouds though? Your thoughts?As far as I understand, the clouds are the same but the bitmaps have been scaled down to reduce memory load on the video card.Is that correct, Chris?I tried this on my 128MB Radeon 9500 pro and the fps stayed the same in clouds. Perhaps this update is most effective for people with 32MB and 64MB cards, which will run up against their memory limit with lots of clouds.What I am really hoping for is some improved imposter clouds, 'cause the 3d ones kill my system at high res and 4xAA/4xAF.

Hi, "I tried this on my 128MB Radeon 9500 pro and the fps stayed the same in clouds. Perhaps this update is most effective for people with 32MB and 64MB cards, which will run up against their memory limit with lots of clouds."They are not the same performance, 2.53 ghz, 512 ram I got gforce4 4200 TI 128 meg they are considerable higher in peformance when they are dense and more clouds layers, 6/8, 7/8. 5/8 and overcastUsing 4AA is not recommended with clouds. 2x at max.-As far as I understand, the clouds are the same but the bitmaps have been scaled down to reduce memory load on the video card.Is that correct, Chris?yes and no, edited and customized for smaller size. This update fixe the clouds performance, double line at dusk/sunset on the horizon and the night light.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi, "You mention that they are not to FSW standards (which I have found to be quite high indeed). How do the compare with the Default FS2004 clouds though? Your thoughts?"they are the same as fs2004 with less detailed on edge of the clouds, but you will get higher performance, already said the difference on other web site also.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest SoarPics

Thanks, Chris. Once again FSW offers a wonderful enhancement to our sim. Definately better frames in heavy clouds and multiple cloud layers.I reiterate my suggestion that you should be "Flightsimmer of the Year". Your contributions to the hobby are truly fantastic!!!:-beerchug

THANK YOU CHRIS! MS should have you on their payroll!But then again...:-abductWE NEED YOU HERE!! :)

Thanks Chris...Visually, at the low res I run at, one would be hard press to notice any loss of cloud quality. But fps wise, the smaller textures allow me thicker layers, and the same performance vs. a greater draw distance. Even 40 vs. 30 miles, and 3000 ft. thick layers vs. 1000 ft. thick layers add a ton of realism.Thank you again...-John

Guest PaulL01

Just a heads up for you Chris, the Radeon card owners will not see much of a change in performance with AA on as the Radeons do not AA alpha textures at all, something that is great for performance but visually poor as the rock steady look of filtered textures as done with GF3/GF4/FX cards is completely missing.This is not a driver issue, it was a design decision that put ATI in the corner with their "Smooth vision 2" instructions.As far as AA goes I have narrowed it down to just two choices using my over burdened TI4600, if I want to do VFR over Photo realistic terrain like Mega scenery or my Rochester scenery I run FS at 1600x1200x32 @ 2xAA/4xAF other than that I run 1280x960x32 @4xS/4xAF.Some like to run 8xAF with these cards though visually stunning to the whole scene in the FS world, to the performance of the card 8xAF absolutely kills it, even 4xAF practically cuts the fill rate in half.Just some thought food. :)

Guest PaulL01

Nice work Chris!But other than loading time how does this work differently performance wise from changing the texture size setting or LOD setting in your drivers setting tab?I am probably answering my own question here; this texture set allows for discriminate use of cloud LOD? But don't we have that already? Pauly is confused! ???PS:please read the Radeon reply.