Sign in to follow this  
Noel

FSW: FPS and Fix Re-Uploaded Again

Wow, thanks loads for the cloud fix on fs2004. I can finally fly through clouds without jerking like the engine is on fire.Thanks again for your continued support of our hobby.Capt Mac

I've played around with these new textures quite a bit and there does seem to be a fps improvement. It is hard to quantify with data, because FS2004 will do different stuff with the clouds every time you load a scenario, but I am able to use full 3d clouds for the relatively tame scenarios without a big fps hit--up till now, I Was runnning about 50% 3d clouds even for fair weather.Heavy overcast still murders my system at anything above 1024x768 (especially if I am at altitude looking down at it), but I expect that Chris' future projects can only continue to make things better for us.Thanks, Chris. Flight simmers are lucky to have folks like you in the community.

Guest sdickson1968

Chris,Thanks for all your hard work, it's much appreciated.Would it be possible for you to upload a set of textures that address the sunset/sunrise horizon problem but which don't change the stock cloud textures? I'm actually quite happy with the performance using the stock clouds and don't want to change them, but would like the horizon fix.Failing that, would it be possible for you to list the files needed for the horizon fix only?Thanks.

Guest sdickson1968

Thanks Chris! Don't you ever sleep??

Thanks Chris! I very much appreciated the clouds, rain and other effects in FS2002.Are you, per chance, working on the ocean color?! You can get the weirdest reflections, particularly off low fog in the mountains. I hope someone can fix these areas. It's either amazingly good looking, or just plain awful!Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Hi, "Are you, per chance, working on the ocean color?! You can get the weirdest reflections, particularly off low fog in the mountains. I hope someone can fix these areas. It's either amazingly good looking, or just plain awful!"I have already works before on the new reflection and the complete new water for fs2004 to remove the light blue on some situation and others things, still need works. But I will need some tester for the water, it take too much time alone for testing.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest in_04

Hi Chris and all other,maybe this is a stupid question but why reduce the cloud quality?I'm currently runing my Pentim 4 2400 MHz, 1 GByte DDR 400 with Radeon 9800 (128 MB)@1024x768 4xFSAA 4xAF at 18 fps fixed and get only values below the 18 if I arrive at busy airports, because there are so many Ultimate Traffic planes.In normal flight, even with 8/8 clouds in three or more layers I got my 18fps. So do I somthing maagig or did I something wrong not having the slow downs from the 3D-clouds? My cloud settings are 100% 3D clouds up to 80 miles and a visibillity of 90 miles with all shadows on, rest of the slider are right except mipmapping wich is 4.Could someone suggest me a cloud setting where I should get heavy fps drop?Sorry for this question of not having problems (so far)ByeMarkus

"But I will need some tester for the water, it take too much time alone for testing"Great work you do.Count me in for a tester if you would likeP4 2.53GF4 Ti4600 128mbWindows XP 512mb RamFS 9I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to programming and such..but I can install textures and know what water is supposed to look like!!.kel429@hotmail.comKel

>maybe this is a stupid question but why reduce the cloud>quality?>I'm currently runing my Pentim 4 2400 MHz, 1 GByte DDR 400>with Radeon 9800 (128 MB)@1024x768 4xFSAA 4xAF at 18 fps fixedWell, Markus, you've got a pretty powerful system. Not everyone is so fortunate, and--especially on lesser video cards--the clouds give a big performance hit.You are also running at 1024x768. Some folks prefer high resolutions, but the fps drop with clouds increases dramatically at 1280x960 and 1600x1200. I can also run at 1024x768 in overcast just fine, but 1600x1200 is much more immersive and beautiful to look at (of course), and any tricks to help me with 3d clouds at that resolution is a good thing.So ... glad you've got your system tuned and running well. I don't think this indicates a problem.

Good luck with fixing the reflections and water color. I can't believe MS released it with those glaring (pardon the pun) graphical problems.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X