Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

New System & a couple of questions concerning SSD's

I am in the process of building a replacement rig for my current my FSX system and had a few basic questions about SSD's...When using SSD's is it necessary or advantageous to still put the OS on a separate drive? IOW's would it be best to buy a small less expensive 40GB SSD for Windows 7 64 and then a larger 160GB drive for FSX and its add ons or simply buy the biggest SSD I can afford and shove it all onto one drive?Thanks in Advance.Robert

RE Thomason Jr.

I am in the process of building a replacement rig for my current my FSX system and had a few basic questions about SSD's...When using SSD's is it necessary or advantageous to still put the OS on a separate drive? IOW's would it be best to buy a small less expensive 40GB SSD for Windows 7 64 and then a larger 160GB drive for FSX and its add ons or simply buy the biggest SSD I can afford and shove it all onto one drive?Thanks in Advance.Robert
I have my W7 x64 on a Seagate 7500 rpm drive and two Intel X-25M 160 ssd's, one for games and one for flight sim'n. I believe putting the o/s on an ssd would only aid in a faster booting system. I don't think my games would run any faster. And I have read that when putting an o/s on an ssd that it is suggest that the swap file be put onto a mechanical drive; but I don't have that experience to make an accurately subjective recommendation. If you go with ssd's make sure you upgrade the firmware first, then format them. My W7 o/s recognized them immediately and adjusted the system as necessary. No need to worry about Trim. My ssd's have been in use for about two weeks now so hopefully they will run forever.For more technical help join this forum --> http://www.sevenforums.com/http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-024-_-Product

You are always better off putting FSX on a drive different from the OS. As far as oputting FSX on a SSD - you will gain initial load time but nothing else and considering the cost and current reliability of SSD's, it's not a good idea. get a WD Vraptor or other superfast HDD.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

McCrash that's interesting what I have read and understood till now is that there is no reason to move the Swap/page file off from the OS unless you running a network raid setup and have never heard of formatting SSD?

You are always better off putting FSX on a drive different from the OS. As far as oputting FSX on a SSD - you will gain initial load time but nothing else and considering the cost and current reliability of SSD's, it's not a good idea. get a WD Vraptor or other superfast HDD.
Thanks for the advice, I already have a 300GB Vraptor but I wanted to either use all mechanical drives or all SSD's I realize that with W7 it is possible to use AHCI on some ports and shut down AHCI on others but I'm not really interested in doing that. I completly understand the dollar/gig rational for staying with a mechanical drive but 160GB SSD's aren't too steep these days so I think I'll push forward with the SSD route since I already have a 40GB SSD for the OS. I'm also looking to trim down my current installation of FSX to only the add on's I really like and use. Reliability does not scare me as much as just dealing with a new medium I'm not familiar with. It'll be a learning experience, hopefully not a painful one!Respectfully,Robert

RE Thomason Jr.

Hi Guys!Which one would be better for FSX, I have two options. The two are basically the same, the only differences:System @1 is an i7 930 2.80 ghz overclocked to 3.6 ghz, and it has a point of view geforce gtx 470 1280 mb gddr5 graphics card.System @2 is an i7 930 2.80 ghz overclocked to 4.00 ghz and it has a his icooler v ati radeon hd 5850 1024 mb gdd5 graphics card.It is now sure that I will choose between the two - both is an i7 930, both has 6 gb ddr3, the only difference can be seen above. If I choose the 4.00 ghz CPU then I will get a less powerful card, it seems. If I choose the 3.6 ghz CPU system, then I will get a great card, but a less powerful CPU... Which one is likely to run FSX smoother, resulting in more FPS? Your kind advice and feedback is greatly appreciated!Thanks:

Hi Guys!Which one would be better for FSX, I have two options. The two are basically the same, the only differences:System @1 is an i7 930 2.80 ghz overclocked to 3.6 ghz, and it has a point of view geforce gtx 470 1280 mb gddr5 graphics card.System @2 is an i7 930 2.80 ghz overclocked to 4.00 ghz and it has a his icooler v ati radeon hd 5850 1024 mb gdd5 graphics card.It is now sure that I will choose between the two - both is an i7 930, both has 6 gb ddr3, the only difference can be seen above. If I choose the 4.00 ghz CPU then I will get a less powerful card, it seems. If I choose the 3.6 ghz CPU system, then I will get a great card, but a less powerful CPU... Which one is likely to run FSX smoother, resulting in more FPS? Your kind advice and feedback is greatly appreciated!Thanks:
You have a third, and better option: Take the first option because the 470 GTX is vastly superior to the 5850 in FSX, spend 10 minutes exchanging emails with me (or many others here) on how to overclock your i930 from 3.6 to 4.0 or more, take 5 minutes following instructions, and one restart, and enjoy a great FSX experience.Stephen

Ughh...Getting back on topic does anyone have some tips or recommendations on setting up their FSX machines for use with Solid State Drives?Using the search function yields a bunch of previous posts covering SSD usage but has much changed in the last 6 months? I'm mostly following the information provided by Colonel (Ret) Bob Scott.BTW Stephen, we have very similar rigs so I might call on you in a private email for some setting advice especially using the MSI program set up your GTX 480.V/R,Robert

RE Thomason Jr.

Talk to Bob (W6KD username)I recommend the Intel X-25M series...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-024-_-Product

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Talk to Bob (W6KD username)I recommend the Intel X-25M series...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-024-_-Product
Hi, I have just purchased a new comp. iIhave a 30gb ssd, and a one TB 7500 rpm drive. the manf. intalled the OS on the ssd drive, I would rather have it on the hdd drive, and my game on the SSD drive ,any easy way to do this?. thanx.