Sign in to follow this  
jackcford

T Staffan Ahlberg...

Dear Staffan:I just saw the posting at your panel website. Another loss of a great talent that brought so much enjoyment to so mant flight simulator enthusiasts...so sorry to see you go. This screenshot is dedicated to you, my thank you for so many enjoyable hours of some of the best panels around. Be Well..http://hem.passagen.se/primeavihttp://southwest.corpmerchandise.com//asse...s/200015138.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MDhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/29908.jpgEDITED: First and second image violate AVSIM's image size limitations.

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Thanks Alex,I really apreciate your words.However, I simply feel that I don

Staffan

Staffan,wow, I just read the announcement myself and I'm really sorry to see you leave. As a matter of fact I just re-installed your DC10 panel in FS2004 and it works like a charm!Being an old schooler myself I really hate to see you go but I fully understand and respect your decision. Please stick around in the forums, so that maybe one day we can "bring you back" ;-) Thank you for all the wonderfull work you have done since FS4 back in the day, I always liked and appreciated your work.Stick around Staffan,Cheers,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAthlonXP2000,AbitKX7-333(latest4in1),512MB/2700SDRAM,WinXP,DirectX8.1,Geforce3TI200(128MB)(Det.30.82),SBlive(WDM5.1.2601.0)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Guest Speedbird1

Staffan,I, too are sorry that you felt the need to make this statement but as Pete has said, I fully understand your thoughts and agree with your statement.I enjoyed your panels a great deal Hang on in there mate !!!BRITISH AIRWAYS VIRTUAL - Freeware and proud of it.

Guest Brent Hebert

Staffan,Just wanted to wish you all the best in your new endeavours. I share your sentiments about this community and it is definitely not like the old days. I have seen on this very forum, those who pose any kind of negative comments about FS2004 treated with hostility and called trolls, mainly by those who have received free complimentary copies or were beta testers, and not here only but on other forums as well.Some of the testers are very kind, patient and considerate and offer advice on how to remedy any problems that the user has. For those I say Thank You.When we all got along as a community, there was never a mention of greed of developers or being takers or bottom feeders for those who anxiously awaited the newest projects from freeware developers.Everyone had something to share and contribute to the community, both developers and simmers. Remember developers are sim fans too and enjoy the work of others.The issue of payware vs. freeware has been discussed in great length so there is no need to even go there, just do a search of this forum to see the opinions expressed. This is not an indictment of commercial developers, but an indictment of those who are quick to jump on the bashing bandwagon just because someone is disatisfied with a product.Many of those are new users and new to the forum systems and should be treated with the same level of respect as those who have logged several hundred post, which is not what I am seeing. Remember, we were all newbies at one time. Brent Hebert

Guest wathomas777

Amen, Couldn't say it better my self. Staffan "got it". He understood the meaning of community, as a developer, he provided very high quality work, and people recognized him for it. He knew this community was one of give an take. He did his work, knowing that he would be rewarded by someone elses work. Perhaps a scenery, perhaps a plane. So for every panel he made, he knew that he could reap 10 fold in freeware from others.The problem with so many "commercial" endeavors, is that it makes freeware even less valuable. Developers like Staffan knew that he could depend on others to do things he didn't have time for. Such as modifying the scenery of his favorite area, or perhaps a very nice 707 for his panel. Now, if you mention the loss of community you're labeled a whinner. For those who DON'T know, Staffan was NEVER a whinner, and NEVER a freeloader. Steffan, You will be missed.

Staffan, your work was always magnificent and will certainly be missed; that's the first part.The second is that far too much of what you've said is true. Perhaps what you feel forced to do will awaken enough people and re-create more of the old-time atmosphere again.If that happens, then you will have made another long-lasting contribution to the hobby.Thank you for all of your efforts and your fine work.Best Regards and much respect,

StaffanPlease rethink here. It is easy to be upset by the influence of a few bad eggs in this community and, yes, there are some unpleasant smells; but I firmly believe that this community as a whole is unique, interesting, interested and very, very friendly. Most in these forums, are helpful or try to be.Your name, whether you like it or not, is already a legend in flightsim. Please don't go the way of other designers who have let the interference of a few spoil the enjoyment of many. Losing your files will hurt many who love or could love them; losing you would be far worse. Hang on in there.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Rich

I can only agree with all of the above statements!Thanks and good luck!

Steffan and AllHaving been an avid simmer since the Sub-Logic ATP Compuserv days I know exactly how you feel.I might not have posted much but always felt that we were all together in what we loved to do.I feel that along the line the almighty dollar has sunk it fangs deeply into our hobby and the way it used to be is not coming back.I also find it interesting the way some simmer`s are treated when they speak up about flaws in payware as though it is not a right anymore even though it is most definately a commercial transaction and every paying customer should have the right to express his views without the fear of being abused or having to get into debates with others.I share Steffan`s frusrtations and agree 100% that this is no longer a community as we knew it no matter what other`s may think.I have no trust or respect for anything I read on these forums anymore and instead share views with a core group of like minded simmer`s that I developed friendships with over the years and that I guess will be enough to keep my interest in this hobby alive.I just want to thank all the freeware developer`s that have given so freely of themselves to enable us to enjoy the hobby that much more and their contributions will not be forgotten weather they leave the hobby or not.I really miss the Project Freeware forum and wonder if anyone remembers the Boeing Test Pilot thread?That was the best thread I ever read and even he was shown more respect than what I see here now.

Sad news :( This community is becoming filled with money grabbing gluttons ...... and mouthpiece-types who attack any unconventional view :-mad I can see straight through these "characters", and their connections with vested interests!!! As for payware groups who abuse their customers .... they're unprofessional, selfish, devious, disrespectful, and greedy.Good luck to your future, Staffan, and thanks for all of the stuff! :)PS. As FS2004 approached release ... MANY freeware groups and authors became payware at the same time! They saw an opportunity to make cash, and didn't want to be left behind!The FS community has changed its view on freeware/payware of late: gone are the days when they were equal ... if you want to be considered a PRO simmer you MUST have the biggest collection of payware imaginable .... this is FS materialism!I really can't wait for a rival to MSFS .. OR a MAJOR change in the community .... I used to be a regular on this forum in a previous guise, but I got bored with all the bickering and people comparing their hardware like they were comparing genital sizes .... I have a REALLY old PC, but I still LOVE FS!

I await the mouthpiece types to join this discussion, and attack our simplicity :-roll

I hate to see it come to this Staffan. I've really enjoyed your work over the years. But, given the current state of affairs, if I'd freely contributed as much as you I'd probably give it up also. With everything now being driven by egos and cash flows the game has changed forever. And not for the better. Somehow things aren't all that much fun anymore.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Having used your DC-10 panel in "former" times and simulators (;-)) I also like to thank you for your work. Nowadays there seems to be a kind of "brainwashing" - attempt going on, complaints of customers simply are not allowed anymore, point.Responses you get are:case 1: complaint about flight-modelanswer: they deliberately made a lousy flight-model! Sim XXXX is just a game! Buy a 15 000 000 dollars simulator, if you want some kind of realism.case 2: if you paid for something but did not get it within 3 days.answer: be patient you idiot, the software-developers have better things to do than deliver your product (for which you only paid 40 dollars anyway - just the price of a meal).(Well, of course THEY cashed in your money AT ONCE - after all 40 dollars are better than nothing!)case 3: you have problems with the "anti-piracy-protection":answer: sorry, but other people steal our work, so YOU have to pay the price for that!case 4: you detected 70 or more bugs (as happened recently with a new product):answer: sorry but we cannot afford more than 20 beta-testers. So you have to pay for the product, you have to pay for the security-software, too, you have to deal with the problems of the security-software and then you have to become our (unpaid) beta-tester for the next three months, installing, testing, removing patch 1, installing, testing, removing patch 2, installing, testing, removing patch 3 and so on. And DON

......... and another trend has appeared ...... gone are the "mature" majority, who are now replaced with "gamer-types", who only want eye candy and a flame war .... they're emotionally disturbed! :-lol That's why FS2004 is more game-oriented :(