Sign in to follow this  
TrevorS

Editing flight dynamics using AirEd

There are one or two air files which AirEd does not open as they have been coded (wilco CRJ). I believe there is a simple work around.Does someone out there know a work around (please keep it simple !!) and able to assist ?ThanksTrevor

I've tried AirEd only once, for the PSS Airbii. I remember seeing some Export option in AirEd, which enabled me to edit easily some .air parameters. Why don't you try it?Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Thanks. However, it doesn't work. I need more info.Anyone else with a definite solution ?Trevor

There are one or two air files which AirEd does not open as they have been coded (wilco CRJ). I believe there is a simple work around.Does someone out there know a work around (please keep it simple !!) and able to assist ?ThanksTrevor
I cannot answer your question but you have aroused my curiosity.Never having had a problem opening and editing .air files before, are you getting an error message of any kind when attempting to open the Wilco .air files or does Aired just refuse to work on them?Unfortunately I do not have the Wilco aircraft in question so cannot try to duplicate the issue.Just curious.

Never having had a problem opening and editing .air files before, are you getting an error message of any kind when attempting to open the Wilco .air files or does Aired just refuse to work on them?When you open the air file, only the first six fields appear. In the sixth one (file name), there appears to be some hex coding.I can open the air file with Aircraft Airfile Manager but find it easier working in AirEd.If I delete the hex code in field 6, then the file no longer even opens with AAM.I believe there is a simple solution.Any other takers ?CheersTrevor

What is 'field 6'?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

If I delete the hex code in field 6, then the file no longer even opens with AAM.
Don't delete it, change it to zero.

Thanks.But changing it to zero doesn't appear to help. It still doesn't fully open with AirEd.Trevor

You actually haven't answered my question. :(

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

As far as I remember, some "protected" air files have 6 leading "00" bytes at the beginning of the file that prevent AirEd from opening them (although they are perfectly functional). If this is the case, removing these 6 bytes with an HEX editor will "unlock" the file. Of course make a copy before performing such a change. Also be aware that it could be considered as a "Copyright infringement" by some companies if this is a commercial product.

a good question is why trevor want to 'get into' the .air file? if he chooses to play around on his own he does so at his own risk. if he tries to edit/hack the air file and redistribute he is in clear violation of the EULA and copyright.my guess, and only a guess, is he dislikes the slow high altitude climb performance of the -200 ... which is realistically modeled by the simulation. the -200 is underpowered in real life once she gets above FL210.the -700 has much more 'pickup'. the -900 is similar, but a bit less than, the -700.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

a good question is why trevor want to 'get into' the .air file? if he chooses to play around on his own he does so at his own risk. Trevor knows EXACTLY what he's doing inside an air file - therefore there is NO risk!!if he tries to edit/hack the air file and redistribute he is in clear violation of the EULA and copyright.The use of the file is purely for Trevor's own entertainment.my guess, and only a guess, is he dislikes the slow high altitude climb performance of the -200 ... which is realistically modeled by the simulation. the -200 is underpowered in real life once she gets above FL210.You guess wrong!The reason is to tame the vicious rotation. The climb performance is indeed spot on.I've tried to dampen the sudden lift off in the cfg file but that only helps a little. To correct it properly (as indicated by an active CRJ 200 captain) I need to get into the air file.What hex editor does one use ?Trevor

The use of the file is purely for Trevor's own entertainment
In such a case, there is I think no problemWe had in the past very agressive reactions from some commercial designers on the AvHistory.org forum (the old one that doesn't exist anymore) when we pointed out the way it could be circumvented. These posts were removed.Thera are several free HEX editors availableA pretty good one here: http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/Google for more