Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milton

Problem with the new Aero Commander 520 (with VC)

Guest Twister

Hi,I downloaded and installed the excellent Aero Commander (for FS2004).For some reason, the VC lighting blinks constantly, it is difficult to read the instruments since the panel is pitch black most of the time.Any fix ?

Guest Milton

The blinking is the "realism" of beacon lights flashing. :-/ Turn them off and the blinking stops.You are right; the panel is dark. It does help to turn on the backlighting even during the day. Unfortunately, this is controlled by the landing light switch. :-/If and when better options are available, I will try to incorporate them.I really need to explore better panel lighting techniques. When I find a better solution, it will be posted on the support website.There are certainly options that allow for brighter gauges. We felt sorry for the 50's pilots and kept them a bit dim. :-)You can always brighten up the vcpanel_l.bmp in the texture folders if you wish to experiment.I will create some options for levels of brightness of the VC and post on the website this week. Then, you can choose the one that suits you best. :-)Milton

fwiw, I think all the VC panels are too dark...and the instruments generally too small to use. When I have critical changes to make, I always have to go back to the 2D panel to make changes, especially the radio.Sherm

Guest Milton

Are you talking about all Commanders, or all VC's in general?The issue of course is trying for realism, yet not making the VC's too light at night so as to destroy night vision, while also making available the unlit portions of the panel, the non-gauges.It is very simple to lighten it up either with the vclight_fx in the aircraft.cfg (moving it forward or up), or now to lighten up the vcpanel_L.bmp for the backlighting.A designer usually tries to either be on for realism or somewhere middle-of-the-road on brightness. Regardless, many criticisms will come about being too bright or too dark. lolMaybe what we need is a variable light tuner so you can adjust to your liking. :-)I'll experiment tonight on some variations and maybe make a variety available on the support site.Meanwhile I'll hold up on the 560, 680, and Dash 7 until I have better options. If folks aren't going to like it, there's not much sense in releasing them.Milton

Guest Milton

Okay guys (and girls?),Try this out. For me things are as visible as for daytime, without losing night vision.http://www.flightsimonline.com/mas/vcpanel_L.bmpJust download and drop into one of your FS9/aircraft/AC520VC9/texture.xxxxxx folders.Let me know what you think.Milton

Guest cseidel

Milton I felt your lighting on the panel was fine. There is no problem seeing it if you turn off the lights in your computer room. I am also running a 19" monitor which I am sure helps. I was dissapointed to here you say you are going to hold off on the 560 and the 680. I think your planes are great and appreciate all your hard work.Thanks

Guest Milton

Wouldn't you know, as soon as I posted this, my website host went south. lol Can't win.Give it some time, then try the brighter light map for a more visual nite time VC panel.Milton

Guest Twister

Hi Milton,Thanks a lot for everything you've done.It was very kind of you to offer your help and assistance on this matter.Take careTwister

Guest Milton

I assure you that this holdup is temporary. I should have the 560 uploaded this week. Everything is done on it but 1 gauge and resolving this VC lighting issue for all. :-)Based on the Flightsim review of the 680 in 2002, we will have more to do to try to fix some of the issues mentioned with the panel and gauges. Bottom line on lighting is I'm going to make the VC brighter so that all switches, knobs, levers, and gauges are readable and therefore functional in the clickable cockpit. Realism on lighting must take the backseat for a useable clickable VC. Milton

Milton,Thank you for your awesome Aero Commander! When I used them in FS2002, it was the FIRST twin engine plane that I really liked flying! It is still my favorite in FS2004. Concerning the gauges in VC mode: What is the best screen resolution to view the instruments? When I use my default 1200x1600/32-bit res, I can't read the guages since they are too blurry (low res).Cloud9

sorry, Milton, if I did not make myself clear. I was talking about all VC's, which even with panel lights switched on, seem too dark...this is especially true for the radio stack. I have yet to see numerals bright enough to have confidence that I am tuning to a correct frequency....btw, love your aircraft. I'm having a new P4 built for me which I expect to make FS2004 sing like a canary. Then, I'll install your commanders and enjoy them even better than I do in FS2002.Sherm

Guest Milton

9,I am using 1024X1024 textures in the VC ... I could go for even better res just like the 2D, no problem, but FPS for lower end machines and vcards will suffer. Guess I will have to do that eventually and post an update.Be sure that you have hi res on for the virtual cockpit settings. Every gauge is readable for me at your resolution.As Herb tells me, "Pilots should stare out the window and glance at the cockpit; copilots almost the exact opposite". :-) Milton

Guest Milton

I do not know Rob. The VC has no windshield or window glass. I haven't tried putting them in viewable from outside the VC to see if rain effects work. I have used them on he inside testing reflections but hopefully ... no rain on that side. :-) I would assume raindrops only work on the 2D panel.