Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

FS2004 AWOS help needed

Guest Stompy

Here's a weird one I hope someone can help me with. Starting my flight at Airlake, MN (KLVN), I bring up the weather dialog and tell it to pull down real-word every 15. Checking the map, I can see two reporting stations in the near vicinity. One is at the airport itself, and the other is pretty close to it. I can see the pop up weather info and such, and so far everything is fine. The problem is that once I'm in the cockpit, I can't tune in any sort of weather report from Airlake. I've checked several charts, and even the airport info in FS is correct, but I can't tune the freq. I think the number is too low if I remember correctly. I can get the others okay, but only once I'm in flight and reasonably close to the station (just as it should be, which is nice, but not in this case!) Is there a way to fix this? I was starting to get really peeved for a while because I couldn't find the altimiter setting anywhere...it doesn't show up on the weather map, and the other stations are too far away for me to rely on. Especially if I start a flight from further South. Luckily I remembered that if nothing else I could just set the altimeter to field elevation and go from there With two stations seemingly within spitting distance of the airport, what do I have to do to be able to get a little ATIS?!Thanks!

Guest Stompy

But is there a way to modify FS9 so that I can actually tune in the KLVN ATIS? Maybe just change the frequency it thinks it should use or something?

Guest TheSidewinder

I'm familiar with Lakeville to a degree. I don't think there's an ATIS either. (I think you're supposed to use the ATIS from KMSP?) As far as I remember (granted I only flew in there twice) there is only Traffic, no ATIS. And it's definitely untowered, that much I remember for sure. Mark

Guest Stompy

Yes, you're both right. Sorry, lemme start over.On the screenshot below you can see the two weather reporting stations near LVN. FS does not know of any radio frequencies to use to contact those stations, and the real world sectional lists an AWOS-3 at 115.7, which is too low a frequency to tune in the sim.Is there any way to add a new radio frequency in the sim that will let me get the weather information from the two stations that are there? I mean it knows about the weather there, surely there's a way to make it give that info to me via the radio...

My airports AWOS is on 118.175 (Morris C09) MSFS will transmit it on 118.17, and when i turn on the ATC, it gives me the option to tune into 118.175, but the panel in the plane I am using doesnt have a small switch in it like the plane I fly in real life has and only tunes to 118.17. It works on the ground, as well as in the air for some distance. If you want to listen to the real Morris Mun AWOS, dial (815)941-1815.The AWOS/ATIS/ATOS systems won't work with MSFS in multiplayer mode as far as I know.http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...a3f313f4297.jpgU.S. Department of Defense: OVER 1 BILLION SAVED

Guest TheSidewinder

Ya know, it's been too long since I had to stop flying, so I don't remember this for SURE, but isn't an AWOS actually "attached" to a VOR station? Seems to me you have to dial in AWOS on the NAV1 radio rather than the COM1, then enable audio on NAV1 to hear the report. Or am I thinking of something else?Mark

Guest Stompy

Hye, that'd be cool! I'll give it a try.

If I am understanding your question:A ground reporting station doesn't necessarily mean it is an awos or an atis.The frequencies I provided in the above post are the actual stations you can tune-either atis or awos that are the closest to your airport.If you wanted an actual report from a ground reporting station that is not served by atis or awos-you would have to contact a fss in the air-something which msfs does not do at the present time.

Guest Stompy

Okay, that does help clarify things for me. I had assumed that since it was located at the airport that this was just an oversight on Microsoft's part or something.Man, this still blows though. Anyone think we'll ever be able to edit something that will let this work? I hate getting weather reports (from the air, not the ground) that are for the most part, very wrong compared to what I'm actually seeing.Too bad I got rid of FS2K2 so quickly. I don't remember now what it was like at LVN in that version.Well, if anyone ever comes across any info that could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it.Oh, and for what it's worth, the sim even lists the FSS frequency for LVN. But then my guess is that's just pretty much a text dump of Jeppesen data...maybe it'll be implemented in the next version? :-)

Guest Stompy

Ah, but in real life, it does. It's an AWOS-3 at 115.7, as I said. In fact, my guess is that it's actually supplying the weather information that Jeppesen is gathering that the sim is then pulling down to display. But in the sim I can't dial 115.7 (haven't been able to try this on the NAV radios yet). So that's why I want to edit something. That weather information is just sitting there, but because the frequency is too low for the sim to let me tune in, I can't get to it. I really hope the NAV trick works, but if it doesn't, I'd like to bend reality just a bit and add a frequency to the list for the airport so that I can listen to the weather report.Actually, I'm trying to make things more realistic by tuning in to a weather report for the airport I'm actually landing at, instead of one 30 miles away. ;-)Make sense now? :-)

I am on the road so can't check.But my flight software didn't show that as a nearby freq with awos.However-to dial it-you would set it in the nav radio-not the comm. Then hit the nav button (nav 1) so you can listen over the vor.If it is a correct freq. it will work...http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest Stompy

Well, I finally got the chance to try it last night. Y'all were right...as it turned out that was the same freq as nearby Farmington VOR. I could certainly tune it on the NAV radios, and I got something from it. Unfortunately all I got was the Morse code identifier of the VOR. :-(Dang.Oh well, it was a great try...