Sign in to follow this  

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro problems in FS9

Hi Henri.Have you tried to use SmartGart to turn off FastWrite and turn DOWN your AGP to 4x?I would be interested to know if this reduces or eliminates the atrifacts. I have the belief that some motherBoards cannot apply either 8x or Fastwrite correctly.This would then not be an ATI issue, but a motherboard issue. I had some problems until I went ot Fastwrites off and 4x AGP with an MSI KT4 Ultra board.Dick

Henri,Yeah I don't think were the only one's who have this problem... I've also heard it referenced as shimmer, or the shimmering effect... I don't know excatly what causes it, but I think the Mit Mapping has something to do with it...Mit Mapping, in my understanding is a way to make 2-d pictures look 3-d. This is achived using lines that caluculate perspective and distace from whereever your looking... Anyway, I think that's what were seeing... for some reason the those mit maps are visable to us... I think this is an ATI problem, as mit mapping is powered by ATI...That would explain why g-force cards don't have this problem... And I'm thinking only 9700 and 9800 cards do... anyway... I do think ATI will fix this. For now I'll keep tweeking... I've managed to find sutible setting where this effect is keep to a minimum... I'll let you know what those setting are....later.claude

Guest Bigshot

If you can't get rid of that problem, I suggest you RMA your card. They do occasionally ship a card with bad memory on board. Happens with all hardware. Get a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't think I need a new card... as I've been fine with other apps.... No I think this "shimmer" has something to do with hardware config... and what driver you have....Henri... Try running in windowed mode... I'll try as well later...claude

Guest Henri W

Dick,Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Changing AGP from 8x to 4x was something I had not tried yet. Using SmartGart I changed AGP to 4x (Fastwrite was off already), rebooted the system and fired up FS9. For a few seconds I thought the problem was gone, then the black lines appeared again. Too bad. Thanks a lot, anyway. I appreciate your help.Best regards,Henri

Guest Henri W

Yes,If the future driver update from ATI does not work, this is what I might try. However, the fact that others have the same problem makes me think something else is going on. Thinking of the price I paid for this card, all these troubles are really too bad. Cheers,Henrihttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hi Henri.I don't see other Radeon users responding that have the same problem.This leads me to believe the artifact is caused by a defective card rather than a poor driver. I have a Radeon 9500 Pro, and have no problems like this.Dick

Don't fret Henry... I have the same problem and I doubt it's a hardware problem as there were previous games that have had the same problem... If you look on the ati site you notice this....and the fixes ati provides for these issues are new drivers....Dick... I don't think this problem applies to 9700 or earlier...I've found examples on the internet of this...(other people with this problem) But I don't have time right now to post examples...Henry Don't listen to people who say you have a hardware problem or a broken card... One must go through a more through diagnostic to come to that conclusion...Look for my post later with my display settings...some time around 12 est.thanks...