Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob I

FS9 DH Comet... No Fly..

Guest Bob I

Hi,Can't steer the darn thing, let alone flt it. Tried asymmetric power and brakes, and a combo of both. Any ideas. I thought I could fly a tail dragger until this one came along. Beta testers must have looked the other way on this one. Big Smile.Layabout

Guest outtatimeiii

That is how it really is LOL. It is a pain to taxi the thing. It has no tail wheel, just a skid. I think de Havilland made this plane for speed, not comfort or taxiing LOL.

Rudder, some rudder, and a bit more rudder for luck.You really need a rudder for this one.Or use auto-rudder if you don't have one.She swings quite violently at first as there is not a lot of air over the rudder to counter the turn. Once shes moving the rudder comes in to play and she gets easier to controlAlso push down gently to get the nose up - once shes nose up the tail fin helps stabilise her.Once shes up though shes a real beauty.Landing isn't so bad as you have power right down, which calms the turning right down.P.S. Whrn you have here up go to external view - mixture to max - cut mixture completely - then to max again as soon as she splutters. You will see a burst of black smoke from the engines as she coughs and splutters and burst back to life.Eye candy it may be - but it sure as hell is cool to watch.Cheers Stuntie.

Guest Bob I

Hi,I have egg allover my face, and many other places. I won't tell you how many years I have on tail draggers, both flying and maintenance. Are you ready... well, if you look at the top of the Comet instrument panel. And you take the little handle and LOCK the TAIL SKID, she will go down the runway like it was on rails. I have a PFC setup with Pro pedals, and never had to touch them once. Oh, put in a bunch of nose up trim prior to roll, she unsticks a little better. A nice aeroplane, a little slick. Don't land her to hot. OK, OK, I heard that... did someone say read the xxxx CHECK LIST....Dumb Bob