Sign in to follow this  
DaryllB25840

Geforce 4 MX Reflection & Water Motion Fix

Guest ScottPilot

Hello!After doing some experimenting with the Display.cfg file in FS2004COF, I finally got the aircraft reflections, water wave motion, waves on the beach, and water detail working! I also got a noticable increase in performance with this change.I wanted to let those Nvidia Geforce 4 MX series video card owners know that I am getting aircraft reflections and water motion (waves, beach waves, and textures) in FS2004COF along with a boost in smoothness and FPS using this entry in the Display.cfg file.You can use the same "fix" that was used in FS2002 in FS2004.The only thing that I haven't been able to get to work yet, is the water reflections in FS2004COF. I did copy the texture folder from FS2004 to FS2002, and am getting the FS2004 water reflections and motion in FS2002.So, just like in FS2002, open the FS2004 Display.cfg file and add the following section to this file:;NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440[000010DE:00000171]DriverValidate2=1(Since I have a Geforce 4 MX 440 64MB card, I only added the reference to that card under the GeForce 3/4 heading and deleted the others.)So pick your specific card from the list below, and hopefully it will work for you!Happy Simming!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real aviation world.Nvidia Driver Version: 44.03 WHQLHere's the new section(s) that you need to add to the DISPLAY.cfg file in the FS9 folder:;----------------------------------------------------------------------; GeForce3/4;----------------------------------------------------------------------;NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460[000010DE:00000170]DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440[000010DE:00000171]DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420[000010DE:00000172]DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA Quadro4 500/550 XGL;[000010DE:00000178];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA Quadro4 200/400 NVS;[000010DE:0000017A];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X[000010DE:00000181]DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440SE with AGP8X[000010DE:00000182]DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce3;[000010DE:00000200];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200;[000010DE:00000201];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500;[000010DE:00000202];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA Quadro DCC;[000010DE:00000203];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600;[000010DE:00000250];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400;[000010DE:00000251];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA NV25;[000010DE:00000252];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200;[000010DE:00000253];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL;[000010DE:00000258];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL;[000010DE:00000259];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL;[000010DE:0000025B];DriverValidate2=1;NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X;[000010DE:00000281];DriverValidate2=1MY FS2004COF SETTINGS:Under GENERAL tab:Log Flight Time: ONPause on task switch: ONPrompt on Exit: ONTime: System TimeText Display: ContinuousUnder DISPLAY-SCENERY tab:Terrain Mesh Complexity: 70Terrain Texture Size: HIGHTerrain Detail: LAND AND WATERWater Effects: LOWDawn/Dusk Texture Blending: ONExtended Terrain Textures: ONSpecial Effects: HIGHScenery Complexity Slider: EXTREMELY DENSEAutogen Scenery Slider: VERY DENSESun Glare: OFFLens Flare: OFFDISPLAY-AIRCRAFT tab:Virtual cockpit gauge quality: HIGHReflections: ONAircraft Shadows: OFFLanding Lights: ONDISPLAY-WEATHER tab:Sight Distance: 60 milesCloud draw distance: 40 miles3-D Clouds: ON3-D Cloud %: 100Detailed Clouds: LOWDISPLAY-HARDWARE tab:Target FPS: 15Resolution: 1024x768x32Render to Texture: ONFiltering: TRILINEARMip Map Quality: 4Hardware Rendered Lights: 5Global Max Texture Size: MASSIVESound Tab: MEDIUMMy average FPS run around: 10 to 18 FPS with 3D clouds and with no stutters.Here is a shot from FS2004 after I altered the display.cfg file showing the reflections on the spinners and the wave/water textures. Of course they are in motion in the sim:

Scott I finally got FS9 working to my satisfaction. I tried just adding the gf4mxdsp nvida lines to the FS9 default display cfg. I wasn't happy. I decided to just copy whole gf4mxdsp file into FS9. I still wasn't happy until I noticed the "Copy Display. cfg" was still in FS9. Since I wasn't asked to over write I guess the windows explorer generated it. Anyway I moved it out of the FS9 folder. I'm real happy now. The Mooney paint job looks like a wet emeron paint job now. Truthan's water has turned on and its beautiful. I didn't know there was OceanFX2 available. It makes Truthan's water real easy to use and change. Ocean FX 2 lets you use the same set of zip files, oceanstx.zip and oceansfx.zip, for both 2002 and 2004. Only one thing, the engine inlets on the American Pacific 737 aren't a bright shinny chrome like 2002 was.Mip Map to 4 got rid of the shimmers in the scenery. Global Max texture size to Massive.I noticed you are using nvida 44.03 WHQL drivers, what windows are you using XP or ME? I'm using ME and have 4345 drivers, thay are not WHQL but seem to be ok.

This is the best suggestion/tip since COF came out. What a difference!!! Performance jump, water, waves - all of it for such a small tweak.Well Done, Scott.GF 4600 1283.2 G P421" monitor EZIO1,000 RAMWin 2000NVidia 45.20--------------------------------------------"Lt. Will Risket, aboard high speed C45.Ace of the Base, Two in Place.Request tower for permission to execute sonic boom."Voice Report abeam Duty Runway, NAS Barbers Point

Guest Terblanche

DaryllCould you explain what you mean with:"I tried just adding the gf4mxdsp nvida lines to the FS9 default display cfg. I wasn't happy. I decided to just copy whole gf4mxdsp file into FS9. I still wasn't happy until I noticed the "Copy Display. cfg" was still in FS9."Where do you find this gf4mxdsp file and from where did you copy it?RegardsTerblanche

Where are the waves? Maybe it's time I sent my new GF4 mx440 back to the vendor. It was only $42 but even my previous TNT2 ultra showed waves hitting the shore. That and the crashes I get (with XP, that is), makes me think this is a pretty crappy card.Tim

Guest ScottPilot

Hey Tim.Sorry to hear that you had difficulties with the MX 440 card.I originally bought mine because of the multi-monitor capability and I have always had good luck with mine in fS2002 and now in FS2004.I am running Windows XP pro SP1 with the 44.03 drivers for right now and I am getting very good performance in FS2002 and FS2004COF with my lowely PIII 1GHZ 512MB SDRAM system.However, this doesn't mean that every one will.I had spent many hours (and days) when I first built this computer, two summers ago, to get it "tweaked" just right for the best gaming performance.On the oceans and most large lakes I see waves hitting the beach, the water "shimmer" and other water effects with my GeForce 4 MX 440 card just fine.If you search this forum using my user name of ScottPilot and topic #129181, I have another recent post here that lists the details of my system and how it is configured.Maybe it will give you some ideas on where to start with the configuration for a system similair to mine.Happy Simming!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real avaition world.

Guest ScottPilot

Glad it helped!I don't know if these tips that I have found will work for everybody, but I still like to share them in this forum just in case it will prevent some "headaches" for someone else!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real avaition world.

Terblanche,Some back ground for you. I have a nVida 440 MX 64 MB video card, 700 mhz Pent III, Windows ME, 256 MB. I had the video card for 3 months. I replaced an aircraft cfg file in one of my downloaded airplanes and for some change reason my reflections, aluminum, chrome, a/c windows AND water turned on for one computer session. When I restarted my computer they were all gone. I had no idea of what I had been missing in eye candy and realism. After researching AVSIM library under reflections I found the fix with Scottpilot's gf4mxdsp.zip. It was a replacement display.cfg file for FS2002. I put it into FS2002 main folder and all of my reflections turned on and stayed on after that. It was beautiful.FS2004 (FS9) came out and I wasn't at all happy with what I saw. My 737 American Pacific didn't have the reflections that it had in FS2002. I wrote Scott because his name was in gf4mxdsp file and asked him if there was a fix for FS9. He posted a response on Aug 11 saying that the gf4mxdsp worked in FS9.Instead of just replacing the display.cfg in FS9 I tried just pasting the nVida lines into the existing display cfg. It didn't seem to work. I said to myself screw this. I backed up the FS9 default display.cfg and placed the copy outside of FS9. I used the windows explorer to copy (edit, copy folder to) gf4mxdsp display.cfg into FS9 main folder. I started FS9 and I didn't like what I saw. I went back into FS9 main folder and saw a file named "copy display cfg", I'm not really clear on where it came from, but I took out the copy anyway and made sure I only had gf4mxdsp display.cfg left in the FS9 main folder. I fired up FS9 and was pleased with what I saw. I had the beautiful reflections on the aircraft and Ed Truthan's water was great. The water had depth to it and shimmer and it was animated with waves. I did have to turn off the water in the settings page of FS9 for some reason. The water slider is all the way to the left. I did NOT like the shimmers I saw in the scenery horizon but turning MIP mapping down to 4 took care of that.I am just so tickled with what I see now. The aircraft detail is beautiful, you have to see it to appreciate it.I don't know if I answered your questions or not. If you have an nVida MX video card I am convinced that you have to put gf4mxdsp.zip into the FS9 (FS2004) main folder and make sure it is the only display.cfg in there. The default FS9 display.cfg does not have any entries for some of the nVida cards, MX in particular. I even think this might apply to other nVida cards that aren't listed in the default display.cfg.You can find gf4mxdsp.zip in the AVSIM library. do a search with that name and follow the ReadMe instructions, that's what I did.Let me know if you need any help.

Guest Terblanche

Thanx for the detail answer ... and where do I get the gf4mxdsp.zip file?I would love to have my reflections and water bumps back - until the end of the month then I'm going to get a much better video card. If only I know which one to buy because it seems that everyone has an opinion on a different type of video card.RegardsTerblanche

Terblanche,gf4mxdsp.zip is in the AVSIM library.What card do you have??Before I put gf4mxdsp in FS9 I couldn't even think about using 3D clouds, now I can and still keep the fps up. It has made one heck of a difference. I think these other guys on the forum might have the same problem because there is a 3D cloud fix out there, I was going to install it but I'm not so sure now that I have to. Let me know if you can't find the file.