Sign in to follow this  

U.S. Navy is staying with FS 2002

Guest Simpit

I was wondering when the navy scenery would show up.Can you point out where in those webpages they say they are not upgrading? I couldn't find a current news page.Simpit

Guest DreamFleet

Good catch on the use of the word "staying"! ;-)They no doubt will use FS2002 until they get around to uprgrading to FS2004. They started with FS98, and I had the pleasure of chatting at length with one of the gentlemen responsible for this program several years ago, George Alexander. ;-)It might be be better to say: "U.S. Navy is using FS2002". No where did I read that they are staying with it, no more than they stayed with FS98. It all began with a naval aviation cadet who started using FS98, and started some of his friends using it also. The US Navy wondered how he progressed through his real training so well, and when he told them, well, at first there was some concern, to say the least, but quickly the cost-saving advantages were seen. The rest is history.Notice this T-34 panel they use is almost straight out of FS98.https://wwwcfs.cnet.navy.mil/microsimptt/im.../screen_002.jpgNote the slide-out keyboard underneath the monitor (below).https://wwwcfs.cnet.navy.mil/microsimptt/im...orkstation2.jpgMaybe I'll have to download / install that upgrade they have. Might as well find something to do with FS8! ;-)Regards,Lou

Guest Simpit

Thanks for the download page - as Lou pointed out below, it's merely the software they've been running for a while now.Simpit

It has nothing to do with scenery, it's an aircraft add on that they train navy pilots with to supplement pilot training. It's brand new software that they haven't been using. Check the download again, it's a new beta version dated June 2003, and uploaded to the site on July 10th 2003.11JunBeta.zip Read the manual, here's the link https://wwwcfs.cnet.navy.mil/microsimptt/do...oads/Manual.pdf

You can see the stick he's using in this pic.

Guest Simpit

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of what a Part Task trainer is, and I also know that it probably installs a few aircraft and updates some training fields, like NAS Corpus Christi or Pensacola, in order to be more faithful to the lessons installed. I'm more interested in the scenery than the lessons!Simpit

Guest Simpit

Oh - and if you follow your own advice about reading the manual, you will see on the cover page that it is version 2.0, dated January 2003... so it can't exactly be "brand NEW software that they haven't been using"... just the latest version. If you don't believe me will you believe CNN? http://edition.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing...26/missile.idg/Please check the date on the article.Simpit

I have been using msfs since 1992, and I have known the U.S. Navy has also been using msfs since the late 90's, but I consider fs2002 brand new software compared to fs98, that is what the Navy was using in regards to your CNN article.Anyway none of this matters to me anymore because I have to get back to the 737 manual and get ready for real sim in a couple of weeks.737 Type rated soon.