Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Why merge the POSKY/PMDG 747?

I see a lot of discussion surrounding the merging of the POSKY and PMDG 747. My question is why do this? The PMDG 747 has always worked fine for me, so I wonder why anyone would want to merge any aspect of it with the POSKY version. Can someone shed some light on this tactic for me? Am I missing out on something?

I see a lot of discussion surrounding the merging of the POSKY and PMDG 747. My question is why do this? The PMDG 747 has always worked fine for me, so I wonder why anyone would want to merge any aspect of it with the POSKY version. Can someone shed some light on this tactic for me? Am I missing out on something?
I was thinking the exact same thing but as long as they have paid for it they can do whatever they want, that includes painting it pink and flying it through the Grand Canyon inverted.Oh and no your not missing out on anything, except dodgy flight dynamics and a host of other problems.

Rob Prest

Because a lot of people, including myself, believe the Project Opensky 747 models are more accurate overall than that of PMDG's.

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

True, but every simmer flies differently. I never do a complete flight in a VC, it's just my preference and it will likely remain that way until I ever invest in TrackIR. I like to fly with the 2d panel during times obviously where you need to (setting up approaches, adjusting the autopilot, etc. etc.) but I love to watch the aircraft in spot view most of the time.

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

True, but every simmer flies differently. I never do a complete flight in a VC, it's just my preference and it will likely remain that way until I ever invest in TrackIR. I like to fly with the 2d panel during times obviously where you need to (setting up approaches, adjusting the autopilot, etc. etc.) but I love to watch the aircraft in spot view most of the time.
I think thats the main point, some people like to look at the aircraft in spot view a lot. Others use it as a proper study sim so each to there own. The only problem I see is a merge screws up a lot of features of the aircraft and they will get zero support, so not a good trade of in my eyes. A lot of stuff goes on under the hood in the top end payware so it's not a good idea to mess around with it.

Rob Prest

1. Posky models look awsome (not that PDMG models look bad)2. Posky models have different animation and lighting quality (someone may like it more)3. Posky models have some gorgeous repaints4. Posky models have a great Utility pack allowing inbuilt animations on the ground5. Posky models allow you to get wingviewsIf you are successful with the merge and you don't use the VC (yes, not everyone does), I see nothing strange in it.The fact the merge is not officially supported by either Posky or PMDG is understandable to me.

Have to agree with the other guys here if you dont use the vc and love other designers model then thats one good reason for merging it. Hiroshi the modeler from posky who built the 747 is a huge fan and he does it out of pure love so its natural for something to come out really great if you pour your heart into it. I'm not saying the the pmdg model is bad its great model but some would prefer other model. there have been a few times when I was just really disappointed with the outside model but was satisfied systems wise and interior. I will pick the 737 from wilco as in example, I like it alot but dont like the outside model so some people merge it with the 50North 737 only bad thing about merging is that you lose the vc and maybe a few other things.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Yes, each person has their own preference, since it gives them the enjoyment....For me, I like PMDG model as it is...Tri

Have to agree with the other guys here if you dont use the vc and love other designers model then thats one good reason for merging it. Hiroshi the modeler from posky who built the 747 is a huge fan and he does it out of pure love so its natural for something to come out really great if you pour your heart into it. I'm not saying the the pmdg model is bad its great model but some would prefer other model. there have been a few times when I was just really disappointed with the outside model but was satisfied systems wise and interior. I will pick the 737 from wilco as in example, I like it alot but dont like the outside model so some people merge it with the 50North 737 only bad thing about merging is that you lose the vc and maybe a few other things.
This is one of the nice things about FSX, is it gives you the ability, not only to merge the 2D panels, but also the VC's. I've done it with the Wilco Airbus A320, A318, and A319 with the Project Airbus models, as well as the default 737-800 VC (With ISG gauge addon) with the Posky 737's.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

How do you merge the vc?
No way.

As someone mentioned a long while back now. I wonder how much more could be invested in the VC systems and dynamics if we had no model to deal with. I am wondering if any developer has ever thought of doing that?I only ever look at my plane from the external views when on the ground but Cpt Mike Ray did say once that the thing he loves most about flight simming is the ability to look at your plane from the exterior any time you want.

Never ceases to amaze me how VASTly different simmers are. As a now die hard (fs9) vc only user I'd rather stop sim flying altogether than 'merge' anything. Fullscreen/VC to me is THE most immersive experience hands down, even if that vc is less than the best graphics wise. To me even a PSS777/Posky merge is too much of a loss - the external benefit is utterly irrelevant compared to the loss of the vc. Plus, most payware models are linked to panel systems, so features are often lost.To each his own though - have fun.

Regards,

Mark

Talking about POSKY, maybe little bit off topic, but I always dream of a true 777. I love their exterior,VC and also FDE. I wonder if will there be any chance someone can use these from POSKY to do a full 777 system.Less time,less job but it should be better than starting all over again. Unless POSKY doesn't want to share or sell.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5