Sign in to follow this  

...better loose weight before flying Southwest.....

Hi there,has anyone heard the news that SWA is considering charging overweight people double?! Nope, it's not April 1st. Man, I better loose weight before my next trip ;-)Maybe I should talk to my wife (she's an attorney, divorce attorney that is :-roll ) and figure out a way how we can file a lawsuit and become rich (just kidding).....Just wondering what people think about this?Cheers (with water now, rather than Pepsi)Petehttp://home.neo.rr.com/zaehringer/pipersignature.jpgPIII600,512MB,Win98SE,DirectX8.1,Geforce32DDR(Det.22.80),SBlive(4.06.703)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Does that mean skinny people can get their tickets at half-price? :-lolI don't have to worry about either one.Brent

Hmm, Perhaps a "Fly with SouthWest and a supermodel friend flies FREE!" ad campaign? ;)It was on every news cast here today in Chicago, Most failed to mention.1> United has already had this type of policy for few years, though personally not familiar with its extent.2> It covers FULL flights only. ie If the overweight flyer buys "double" ticket and the flight is not full the person will receive a refund for that 2nd seat.Course if I were overweight dont think I'd like pouring myself into 1 of SW's 737's narrow seats. Would rather fly American's expanded's coach with the bit more leg room if nothing else or try to fly on a wide-body, no pun intended. ;)

Guest DNelson

According to CNN the policy has been on the books since 1980. They're just going to enforce it more consistently now.Dan

Does that mean they get 2 seats then ?? Plus - how do they define "overweight" ?? Are they looking at your height / weight ratio or are they talking about people over a certain weight ??

Probably if they need more than 1 seat to be seated.....They are considered overweight. I find that a bit odd though, since many people I know cannot fit into airline seats. They should try decent seating accomodations before they enforce a policy like this (Which IMO is very sickening, and violates the simple morals of decency)

From what I saw yesterday it's up to the ticket agent, he makes the call whether or not a passenger will need two seats and they supposedly do get two seats.I don't remember right now if SWA even has reclining armrests?!Cheers,Petehttp://home.neo.rr.com/zaehringer/pipersignature.jpgPIII600,512MB,Win98SE,DirectX8.1,Geforce32DDR(Det.22.80),SBlive(4.06.703)

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Hmmm I think that the airlines should rethink that. I also have had problems on charter flights (where they pack you in) due to the fact that I am 6'7".Last time I attempted to book at a travel agents (whilst actually standing in front of the staff) I said that I would need extra legroom so I could fit in the seat, I was informed that if I could provide a doctor's note then it would happen else it wouldn't. Needless to say I couldn't be bothered to book where the staff were quite that dumb !!!!

I think they should charge by the pound and by the mile. Just like freight. They treat you like freight. Might as well charge that way. I also think they should let us smokers lite em' up again. But then, who am I, just a light weight smoker who fits nicely into one seat!!!!!!!!! At least we can still drink!!!!!!!!! But what goods a drink without a cigarette????? Enough said. hehehe.

So know, not only do you have to cram your bag into that little carry-on container, but now you have to cram your ##### in there!