Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

should I wait for pentium5?

I'm going to order following hardware:Pentium 3.2 w HTNvidia FX5900 2561024mb RAMbut..... It looks like intel is going to release new Pentium5... should I wait? Currently I have athlonxp2100, geforce4ti4600, 512ram.Can someone tell me how FSCOF will perform on 3.2, fx5900 and 1024ram?Thank YouJacek

Guest Max Cowgill

Jacek,you can wait for the next biggest thing until you're blue in the face but eventually you have to take the plunge and just get something. You have to take the following things into consideration and make a decision: how much power do you think you need, how long are you willing to wait for it, and how much are you willing to spend. Once you weigh these things against each other you can more easily make a decision.There's nothing wrong with the hardware you picked out (other than poor AA quality) and I'm sure it'll run FS just fine, so if that's the hardware you want get it! Don't sit around and wait for the Pentium Ultra 47 when it comes out in 2035, you're buying hardware to run software that's already out so the best hardware today *should* be able to run said software acceptably. Of course, MSFS is generally the exception to this rule and it always needs the most power you can throw at it but one can only wait for so long...Anyway, good luck with your decision, and as I recommended the last time you posted a thread along these lines, you may want to consider the Athlon 64 and Radeon 9900 Pro when they are released next month.hope this helps,Max Cowgill

Thanks, I think that I will go for hardware which I selected, but is it worth spending around 1500$? will I notice big difference in fps?eeeh, I have to decide finally...Jacek

Someone once wrote in some PC magazine that it makes little sense, from the economical/performance point of view, to upgrade your CPU if your clock speed is not at least doubled. But he was not talking about flight sim users - just general folks deliberating whether to upgrade or not.Powodzenia Jacek.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest Max Cowgill

Going from your current hardware to what you're planning on buying you should notice a pretty big difference. I doubt you'll be disappointed in the performance. Whether or not it's worth the money is completely subjective, however. If you're really not that sure then wait until next month and see how the new hardware compares to what's available now. That is, of course, if you can wait that long. Look at it this way though: if you can wait a month or so you're guaranteed to have the option of buying the absolute fastest hardware available or saving some money.-Max Cowgill

thanks, I think that I will wait little longer, afcad and some other things are not updated yet so new cpu can wait...ThanksDzieki MichalJacek

Guest Max Cowgill

You choose wisely, grasshopper :-kewl

Guest cw1011

I chose to just upgrade my processor for the time being, and hold off on a new box until the CPU speed gets up to around 4 gigs or so. I also added a Radeon 9700 which is a good enough card to have some legs and make it into the next system. I'm just not convinced that even a 3.2 gig P4 will deliver outstanding performance with all the bells, whistles and new clouds. My $.02. Colin

You will be waiting a long time then. I have read that Intel will most likely top out with the 3.6 Prescott CPU by 4th quarter 2004. What 2005 brings is anybody's guess but my money is that we will not see a 4.0GHz chip until at least 3rd quarter 2005.

Eric 

Guest Scoobe

Im somewhat of an upgrade junkie. I sold my 2.8 to a friend and bought a 3.0 and saw a 2 fps increase. Shortly after, sold that to another friend and got a 3.2 and got a 1 fps increase. Was it worth it. NO. Would I do again. Probably, I can't hel myself im too far gone to stop upgrading my PC. I would wait for the P5 if I were you. Even with a 3.2, some things in Fs2004 need to be turned down a little. I don't like anything less than 15 fps. If you can tolerate 12-13, then a 3.2 can run it all sliders set to max. Rob

Guest Max Cowgill

>Im somewhat of an upgrade junkie. I sold my 2.8 to a friend>and bought a 3.0 and saw a 2 fps increase. Shortly after, sold>that to another friend and got a 3.2 and got a 1 fps increase.>Was it worth it. NO. Would I do again. Probably, I can't hel>myself im too far gone to stop upgrading my PC. I would wait>for the P5 if I were you. Even with a 3.2, some things in>Fs2004 need to be turned down a little. I don't like anything>less than 15 fps. If you can tolerate 12-13, then a 3.2 can>run it all sliders set to max. >>RobYour video card plays a significant role in this matter as well... What kind of video card are you running and with what settings (AA, AF, resolution, LOD bias, clock/mem speeds, etc.) as well as what settings in FS? I'm not saying you're lying or anything, just curious as to what kind of CPU/video card combo produces these results.-Max Cowgill

>You will be waiting a long time then. I have read that Intel>will most likely top out with the 3.6 Prescott CPU by 4th>quarter 2004. What 2005 brings is anybody's guess but my money>is that we will not see a 4.0GHz chip until at least 3rd>quarter 2005.It sounds right based on some articles I saw on Tomshardware. It seems Intel wants to slow down its typical rapid CPU frequency climb in lieu of beefing up other parts like faster FSB, memory, etc. I believe it makes sense - other pieces of hardware that contribute to performance have been neglected for too long and many point out to growing disparity between CPU clock and the rest of the system.Michael J.

Michael,Yea, I was just over at CNET and Tomshardware and both are saying basically the same thing. Intel is going to lower the price on the current Northwood(A) core 3.2P4 on Oct.26. That would indicate that P5 (Intel has not choosen this title yet but that is what everyone seems to be calling it) will be released then as well at a clock speed of 3.4GHz. I read that we would already have it if AMD released there Antholon (SP?) 64 by now but Intel held off to get more life out of the older Northwood 3.2. I was getting ready to order a new system from Dell but think I will wait till the P5 hits in early November. It will have 1MB cache over the current top of 512KB cache in the current 3.2 which will help.

Eric 

Guest Scoobe

My video card is a Geforce FX 5800. I don't use AA at all. Im running at 1280*1024 and I don't see many jaggies so turning it off has increased my FS a little bit. Also I overclocked my 3.2 a little which gained me one fps. In FS2004, I run everything set to max and usually run the Building storms weather theme. My FPS are consistantly in the 15 - 25FPS range. 15 around busy airports and cities. 25 (locked at 25) up over the clouds.System Specs belowP4 3.2Asus P4C8001 Gig 3200 DDR RAM2 WD 250 Gig Drives (8 meg cache)HP DVD3000 recorderPioneer DVD PlayerSouund Blaster Audigy 2 PlatinumNew Q GoldHaupaugh TV & FM cardeluminx lighted Keyboard19" KDS Rad 9 LCD MonitorEnermax Aluminum CaseEnermax 450 watt PS.Lots more...(Below is a pic of just the tower.)Robhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/30449.jpg

Guest cw1011

Well, it may be a while buyt I'm still not convinced its worth $1,500 to go from 2.6 gigs to 3.2 gigs - what it would be for me because I've upgraded my box as far as it will go. I think I'll sit back and wait a while until the jump is substantial enough to make it worthwhile (and worth all the hassle or installing software etc. Colin