Sign in to follow this  
Philipp Ringler CFI

fs9.1 update won't install on Win7 Pro 32bit

Hi folks.Just upgraded to a new PC with Win7 Professional/32bit.I installed Fs 2004 from the CDs, started it up once, then ran the fs91updDEU.exe (DEU means for German FS version).It runs, does the bgl files, but when it comes to the file scenery\Generic\texture\lbelt_ln.bmp it quits with a very uninformational error message "Flight Simulator Module has stopped working". When I start Fs9 it still says version 9.0.0 instead of 9.1 as it should.Of course I ran the update as "Administrator" (right click -> Run as Administrator). And of course I ran the fs91updDEU.exe from inside the FS9 folder as suggested. And the Fs9 folder is NOT inside the "Program Files" folder where Windows' virtual directory could hit me.Anybody else with this problem?PhilippEDIT: This is the generated crash report:QuelleMicrosoft Flight Simulator ModuleZusammenfassungNicht mehr funktionsf

Flight instructor and commercial pilot. Flies everything that has propellers. CFI(A)-SE, CFII, CPL(A)-MEL/SEL/IR TW/CMP/HP/HA

X-Plane core team (Avionics and GPS)

CRJ-200 and 757/777 developer

Follow me on Twitter @XPlanePhil

Hey, i got a little but further. I set the access rights manually to "Read and Write" for "everybody". Now the update doesn't crash anymore, but instead stops with "Error 25". Okay, this is what I got via google: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...amp;x=4&y=8So my download is presumably corrupted. Well, there is this invention called md5-hash with which you can verify file integrity quickly. But what do they say?? "After you have finished downloading the update file, you must verify the file size of the update file." ROTFLMAOPIMP, are they serious?? Hey guys, md5sum was invented about 20 years ago and you honestly believe you can detect download corruption by the comparison of file sizes.Honestly, thats like verifying your UPS-delivery is intact by weighing the packet you received, without looking into it. This is ridiculus.Well, I have downloaded the file about twenty times from different PCs now. If you have any other suggestion, post it here and attached to a car bomb placed in front of the MS headquarters, in that order.Philipp

Flight instructor and commercial pilot. Flies everything that has propellers. CFI(A)-SE, CFII, CPL(A)-MEL/SEL/IR TW/CMP/HP/HA

Hey, i got a little but further. I set the access rights manually to "Read and Write" for "everybody". Now the update doesn't crash anymore, but instead stops with "Error 25". Anyone know what the error 25 is? All i could find was the error 34 which indicates a missing registry entry, buit this is no the case here.
Check your Flight Simulator 9 folder to see if you have a folder in it named BACKUP (yes in all caps).If you do, remove it and try the update again - (fs91upd.exe in English)BTW - the update exe file should be run from the Flight Simulator 9 folder rather than from a temporary folder elsewhere - that is the recommendation from MS.I would also suggest Right clicking on the update exe file and from the Compatibility tab set it to be run "as adminstrator".Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.
Did you read my OP?And I tried the english version also. It fails right awy because it correctly tells me that it cannot update this version of Fs9. Of course, it's the wrong localization.And no, the crashing update doesn't leave a BACKUP folder behind, but instead some .dlls updated to 9.1 and other still 9.0 - what a mess.

Turn UAC (user access control) off.This fs91updDEU.exe file could be corrupted.