Sign in to follow this  

RPC SHUTDOWN! FIX

There is a serious secruity issue with remote attackers gaining access to a lot of computers. Port 138 is the access point. If you have this issue please go here and download the correct patch for your system. Windows ME is not affected. FOr Window XP with SP1 download this:http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.asp...&displaylang=enWindows 2000 use this one:http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.asp...&displaylang=enHope this helps![h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

yea I think I was having that problem this morning, I was getting "SVChost has generated errors and will shutdown" and after I got that error I could not copy and paste anything, and could not play any media files for some reason. The problem got fixed after the patch. :-)AndrewPS. The problem would happen everytime I started Windows and connected to the internet starting this morning.

Thanks for posting this. I just installed XP and was having a lot of these errors.Couldn't be better timing.Ed

Thanks for the heads up, I was having lots of these errors tonight.Cured now :-).Francisco Aguiar

Francisco Aguiar

Guest Leonardo

Whew...I've been working on my rig for almost 4 hours to repair damage...the damn MSBlast thing, check it out on Symantec.Unfortunately some of the workarounds didn't work and so had to restore (backup often! :-cool).Then after the restore the dreaded "svchost.exe" problem...a lot of time to figure out what the hell was wrong. :-madSo, if you notice strange behaviours like sudden crashes of svchost.exe or "Cut&Paste" not working nor "Open in new window" you've got a problem... :-hang

>Whew...I've been working on my rig for almost 4 hours to>repair damage...the damn MSBlast thing, check it out on>Symantec.>Unfortunately some of the workarounds didn't work and so had>to restore (backup often! :-cool).>Then after the restore the dreaded "svchost.exe" problem...a>lot of time to figure out what the hell was wrong. :-mad>So, if you notice strange behaviours like sudden crashes of>svchost.exe or "Cut&Paste" not working nor "Open in new>window" you've got a problem... >:-hangTechnically, msblast does not do a bit of damage to your computer. msblast comes to your computer because you have no firewall, and it just makes your computer restart every 60 seconds. On Aug 16, this worm will use your computer to help launch a DoS attack on windowsupdate.com.This virus/worm really causes no damage. It's just a security threat to Microsoft and a nuisance. Visit neowin.net for better information on removing the worm.

My opinion is that as long as you are vigilant, there is nothing to worry about. Sitting there with no AV, no firewall, and no OS udpates isn't even permissible on relatively secure Linux and Unix systems. Some people just expect everything to be done for them :-hmmm