Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

RAM added today....Big, Big difference.

I read many threads about EXTRA Ram being added and whether or not it made a difference in FS2004. My Dell came with 512RDRAM, and even though I had a 2.8gig processor and a 128mg ATI Radeon 9700 card, I was getting occasional Stutters and slow "cockpit and plane drawing times". Well, today I got 512 more of RDRAM from Dell ($398.00), and all I can say is...it was really worth it. Slow drawing times are a thing of the past, and I cannot detect any stutters. My frames didn't change that much (locked at 20), but the FLUIDITY of the sim is phenomenal, and that is what gives the illusion of flight. I used the Eaglesoft Beechjet 400 as my test. Flew it a lot yesterday, and once today before I added the extra Ram. Stutters were everywhere, and I use Real Weather in Seattle for my test. After 15 minutes of pulling all the connections of the back of my 8250, and adding the two sticks of memory, I connected back up, and flew the same plane again. Big, big difference....very obvious....and fun to fly. A "gig of memory" sure makes an impact for me.If you can do it, it may make a big difference in your FS2004 experience. Stan

Hi Stan,Hey, that's encouraging. I should be receiving my extra 512MB stick of Crucial PC2100 DDR in the next couple of days.Mike

Are you using Win XP? I'm still using Win98SE and I think I'm limited to 512 Mb of RAM. I've had up to 640 in another PC (AMD900) and didn't have a problem with Win98...

You can put more ram in win 98 just need to set something in the vcache settings or something like that, I ned to find out becuase I want smooth here!Hornit

Guest Bigshot

IS the 400A & the Premier completely smooth with a gig. How's the framerates in FS2k4 when flying those. Is switching inside and outside views when in the 2d pit immediate or do you still have to wait a second or two for the panels to appear.

Hornit - This article outlines what you need to do to run with more than 512MB : http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htmDoug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

That's interesting, Stan. I've got the same system (almost) and have the same problem. Frame rates in the twenties all the time, but occaisional stutters. Too bad RDRAM is so expensive!

Doug, Thanks for that link!!! :D I can get another 512Mb of PC2100 from A2Z Computer for $89 and they're right here in Aurora, Ohio, where I live!Steve

To answer some questions:I'm using WinXp Professional. Very stable and never a "blue screen of death". With 1024 of RDRAM, changing views in the Beechjet is superb. No waiting for "re-draws". With 512MB, it was re-drawing EVERY time. My FPS stays at 20 or slightly below sometimes in clouds, but still remains fluid, and smooth. Supposedly the hard drive doesn't have to be accessed as much with this much RAM.My wife also tried the computer with some of the graphically intensive Embroidery software that she uses (her hobby). She even commented to me that she noticed a great deal of difference in speed in her applications. That's good when your wife approves your purchases for MSFS. Very good!I honestly believe that that 15 minute upgrade for me last night made all the difference in the world for the enjoyment of this sim...NOW and in the FUTURE. I can't wait to get home tonight and fly.ps. I flew a 757 last night with Lonny's panel and that also was extremely smooth (with 512MG...it too was jerky). Lookin' forward to downloading some challenging planes and panels now. Stan

Doug, I purchased the extra stick of SDRAM but can't get it to work. It's an exact match of the 512 Mb stick I already had in the PC. I followed the instructions in the article you linked. First I added MaxPhysPage=40000 to the windows/system.ini file and saved. Turned off PC. Added SDRAM Restarted PC PC hung on start up with the A Drive (3.5" disk) light remained on. I did this 5 different times. There must be something I'm missing. Any idea what it is? I just spent $95 and have nothing (yet) to show for it. :-mad Steve

Steve, After reading that article a bunch of times I think you do NOT need the maxphysusage line unless we go ABOVE 1Gig. I would put in the maxfilecache line limiting it to 512mb though for vcache optimization. Try it with that maxphysusage line edited out if you can.Hornit

Guest Max Cowgill

>Doug,> Thanks for that link!!! :D I can get another 512Mb of>PC2100 from A2Z Computer for $89 and they're right here in>Aurora, Ohio, where I live!>>Steve$89 for 512MB of PC2100 RAM? That's a ripoff. You can get name brand PC3500 RAM for about the same price (maybe $10 more). Try pricewatch.com for more reasonable prices.-Max Cowgill

If the PC booted as normal after you removed the new RAM again (but without changing your system.ini settings,) then I'd suspect a faulty RAM board. They are Quality Control checked, but occasionally a duff board gets through.Alastair

No, I found the problem. Dumb Sh** Me..... *:-* I bought a stick of DDR266 512Mb. I finally removed my original RAM to swap sockets and found out that I have DDR333.... Duh. Do I feel STUPID. Back to the PC Store and tonight I'll get it installed.As to the other guy saying that the $89 being was a ripoff: Sure, I could buy off the internet and wait 5 days for FedEx but I wanted it NOW and A2Z (Internet Dealer) is 6 blocks from my house!

Hornit, Being an engineer by training, I'm probably too detail oriented. I was thinking that 512 + 512 = 1024 > 1 Gig..... After I get the proper SDRAM (See above as I bought 266 vs the 333 I needed), I'll try it without the MaxPhysPage setting. I'll be sure to put in the Max on VCache as 512000 or whatever that suggested number is.Steve