Sign in to follow this  
SteveLewis

RAM added today....Big, Big difference.

Guest HardHouseUK

Hello Stan and all - new forum member here (although have been a big avsim fan for a year or so now..)I have a DELL DIMENSION 4500 2.54Ghz Leadtek Ti4800 SE 128MB - and just installed another 512MB of RAM (

Now that you have 1GB disable virtual memory and you will see some more inprovements in your system: Lower boot and load times.

Well, no joy on the additional memory. I purchased another stick of DDR333 (PC2700) today and can't get the PC to boot up with it installed. I checked the new stick alone and it worked; the old stick alone works; put them both in and the bios says 1024 Mb 333 RAM but the PC hangs on Windows start up (green light on floppy drive constantly - FREEZE).I added the MaxPhysPage=40000 (I also tried 30000) to the 386Enh section of system.ini. I added MaxFileCache=524288 per the instructions in this string and at Microsoft to the vcache section of system.ini. It just will not boot up with 1024 Mb. (I'm using Win98Se).Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I have to send it to my shop (cost ~ $65) to have them set it up.:-zhelp Steve

Guest Max Cowgill

> (I'm using Win98Se).There's your problem. Win9x can't handle more than 512MB system RAM. If you want more RAM, you'll have to switch to Win2k or XP. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... -Max Cowgill

Max, I'm thinking that you're right. However, Microsoft's own websites say that you can have up to 1.5G of RAM with 98/98Se. :-hmmm In my old PC (AMD 900 Win 98) I had 640Mb. This is very frustrating. Next stop is the XP Upgrade. I have read several posts in forums of people who have done the Upgrade route and have had no problems. I can always do the full install later (it's the same software, I believe)...Steve

can anyone vouch with PMDG 737 and tell me the difference, i have 512 DDR3200, i may upgrade to another 512 if someone can justify it.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest JeffB

Hi Steve,Amazing, I also live right here in Aurora, Ohio!Jeff

Guest Fishu

If you don't have the memory, don't use biggest possible texture sizes - thats what takes up the memory.Yesterday I was having some bad loading problems with couple airport sceneries and I did couple things, which of I don't know which helped the most.First of all, I disabled anisotrophy and couple other things sharpening textures, then I changed AGP aperture size from 64mb to 128mb.I suspect the change of aperture size must've helped quite a bit, considering how inadequate the 64mb would be.(and 128mb graphics card)

Guest mdavis

Huh? I ran 768 megs of RAM for a year on Win98 original edition (all updates) before installing XP.MDavis

Guest mdavis

I don't think FS9 uses any more than 1 gig of RAM even with texture size at "massive". I'm running 2 gigs on my 3.2Ghz box and, watching XP handle system cache, I don't recall it ever exceeding 1 gig.More checking. I'm sure, however, that 512 would work OK with reduced slider settings, not "maxed out" as everyone seem to think is necessary or desirable.MDavis

Guest JC2

Wow! I can't believe Dell charged you that much for 512MB of RDRAM! You could have gotten 512MB of Corsair XMS3700 for less than that!For info for anyone else interested in getting more RAM, looks like Dell is not the best source for you. 512MB of RDRAM shouldn't cost more than around $270 or so. Shop around!Jim

I have 384 MB of 2100. I'd like to move to all 3200 (DDR400) memory but not right now. I would like to add at least another 256. Can I buy a stick of 3200 and run it alongside my 2100? That way I will be closer to all 3200 memory in the future. Thanks.Windows XPAthlon 2200+384 mbSoundblaster Live 5.1

Should run ok, but you'll see no benefit from using DDR3200 (200Mhz)over DDR2100 (133Mhz) unless you speed up your FSB(the DDR3200 will run at your 133Mhz fsb speed). To do that depends on your MB. On my Abit NF7-S, I can control each systems speed seperately, CPU, FSB, PCI, and AGP. So right now I have my CPU running about 700mhz faster then stock, my Memory at 200Mhz, everything else at stock speeds. My old MSI MB I could only adjust FSB, once I speeded things beyond say 155Mhz, my PCI cards would flak out....they can't take that speed. So DDR3200 would have been a waste of money on that MB.Get to know more about your MB options at http://www.amdforums.com/index.php?s=

Thanks for the reply. My Epox 8rda3+ motherboard has those adjustments as well. It was just that I wanted some additional memory now and I figured the prices are not that different so I might as well buy a stick of 3200 and then later get enough to completely replace the 2100 memory and then enjoy the faster memory speed at that time. Thanks again.

On that board, the limiter will be the the PC2100....but you may still get 150Mhz out of it or more. Worth a try....seen many that do. And it really makes a jump in your performance when you get the memory speeds up....