Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Target Frame Rate Set at 50

Guest Stanner1953

I have my target frame rate set at 50, and the lowest reading I am getting over NY City is about 20 FPS, most of the time I am in the 35 to 50 FPS range. I have the following settings:1. 3D cloud percentage 50%2. Cloud cover density high3. Site density 80 miles5. Anti-allasing - OFF6. Filtering - Trilinear7. MIP mapping - 48. A1 traffic 100%I have a Dell Dimension XPS Pentium 4 3.06 GHZ 1024 MB DDR SD Ram @ 400 MHZ ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB graphics card 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive Windows XP ProI am getting beautiful scenery and no stuttering or hesitations.I have been reading that the FPS should not be set beyond 25 or 30 FPS. Am I wrong setting the FPS at 50? Should it be lower to enhance the quality of the graphics? Thank you.Stanner

Guest SlimDady

Well setting a framerate max a like 24 basically should improve problem s with blury textures and image quality.When u limit ur fps lower it does not have to work as hard to keep up the fps. so often the image quality will be better

Guest SoarPics

Hi Stanner,Alot of folks hold to the fact that the human eye can't preceive anything more than 24 FPS. If you're happy with what you have on your system, then fly and have fun. :-) Of course, some simmers may come in here and want to "borrow" some of your extra frames. :-) Cheers,

Looks like you're getting great performance--and you better, cause that's a pretty kick-*** system.I'd recommend considering lowering your max a bit, though. The reason? I think your fps will tend to jump around quite a bit more. It might go from 40 to 50 to 35 to 50 to 45 to 50. You get the idea. Even if it never really bottoms out, the sensation of smoothness may be impacted.Also, if you lower your max fps, then the system can focus on smooth instruments, crips textures, etc. In essence, you will be sparing some cycles for the sim to make your experience even better.Why not try around 30fps and see how that goes. Personally, I'd kill my dog to get a steady 30 fps.(Just kidding. I really like my dog. Still, though....)

Out in the prairies you could get the purply patched quilting, Once I locked the fps this went away pretty much.

Guest Bob I

Hi,Would I be correct in presuming that all the other settings are turned OFF???? I can think of a couple of settings that would make your numbers dive into the low teens....Regards,LayaboutPS.. I have the same system specks as yours.

Guest Stanner1953

Gentlemen:Thank you for the replies. I do not have the other settings turned off, just the opposite. I will lower my frame rate lock from 50 to 35.Again, thank you.Stanner

Yes, 50 is way too high. I run 20 fps lock with a similar system. You can experiment with anything up to 25 or so. Try 20 and see if it is smooth. It is for me.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I believe the human eye can detect framerates up to 72 FPS. (which is also the CRT monitor refresh rate where flicker becomes non-existent) The issue that makes FS still look smooth at 20-30FPS is the fact that the world is moving slowly over vast distances compared to other types of 3D games where the FPS has to be a lot higher to be playable. Try telling a Counter-Strike, UT2003, or other fast first person action game player that 20 FPS is enough and they'll laugh like crazy at you - for FS though, it's fine. (not that I don't wish I could run FS at 72+FPS!) The other issue is that above a certain level, what the eye is really detecting changes in FPS, and not the actual FPS itself - a game will look really choppy and jerky if it's going at 80FPS one second and 15 the next, which can easily happen with FS.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com