Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

The right LCD monitor for FS?

I am ordering a new Dell system this upcoming Friday. Anyone familiar with the Dell LCD monitors? I am considering Dell's 20.1" Ultrasharp LCD monitor. It has a response time of 25ms (is that good?) and a contrast ratio of 350:1 (is that good as well?). It costs quite a bit of money but I will get it if it is worth it. I plan on using the ATi 9800 Pro (128MB version) with it as well. Thanks for any help!!

Eric 

Guest Max Cowgill

I wouldn't buy an LCD monitor with a response time of 25ms if I were you... 25ms equates to a maximum of 40fps. You'll want to buy an LCD w/response time of 20ms or less. I hear they'll be down to 12ms by the end of the year.BTW, forum rules prohibit "bumping." Just thought I'd let you know before one of the mods does ;)hope this helps,Max Cowgill

You may get some 'Trailing' effect with a 25ms LCD. It really depends on alot of factors but I know that Dell makes a pretty decent LCD. Max is right in that aspect and I myself am sticking with my 21" iiyama monitor until the newer generation LCD's hit the market end of 2004.

What is "trailing" effect? Also, will it help if I did get this but set a frame rate limit to say 24? Also, how do you compare contrast ratio's? I see some are 600:1 and this one from Dell is 350:1??

Eric 

Well, there goes me buying Dell's 20.1 LCD with a 25ms and 350:1 contrast ratio. Looks like I will be stuck with either a new CRT or a 17" tops LCD. Is anyone out there using an LCD with a 25ms and if so, how is it working?

Eric 

I have the Dell 20.1 Ultrasharp and the Radeon 9800. Works fantastic for me in all regards. Easy on the eyes, no ghosting (or trailing). I love it...I've tried swapping in other CRT's for various reasons, and have always come back to the Dell. Perhaps there are better LCD's (and probably at some sort of price premium...Dell often has 15-20% off monitor sales), but this one works nicely for fs2004, in my experience.Jesse

Interesting Jesse. Would you be so kind as to contact me privately at efisher2@cfl.rr.com so I may converse with you some more about this monitor. You are the only one I have found that has said positve things about this particular monitor in regards to FS. Just need to get some more info from you before I go spend 800 dollars on one. Thanks.

Eric 

Guest dogknot

I fell in love with my new Dell 18" LCD monitor. Beautiful picture, no ghosts or trails. It is like 'night and day' difference in quality from my 19" CRT monitor and it is 1/10 of an inch larger (viewable screen) than the 19". Dell Dimension XPS Series: Pentium 4 Processor at 3GHz with 800MHz frontside busPower Supply: 460-watt power supplyMemory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHzKeyboard: Dell Enhanced Multimedia KeyboardMonitor: 18.1 in. 1800FP Dell Ultrasharp Digital Flat Panel DisplayVideo Card: New 128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVIHard Drive: 200GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM) with DataBurst CacheFloppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices: 3.5 in. Floppy DriveOperating System: Microsoft Windows XP ProfessionalMouse: Dell 2-button Scroll MouseNetwork Interface: Integrated Intel PRO 10/100 EthernetCD or DVD Drive: 16 Max DVD-ROM DriveSecondary CD or DVD Drive: New 4x DVD+RW/+RDrive w/CD-RWSound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 premium sound card including FREE MuVo MP3 PlaySpeakers: Altec Lansing THX Certified ADA995

Brent, what about in complex scenery situations when on the ground say and you are turning your aircraft? Do you see trailing or anything then? I wonder why people say to stay away from anything over 23ms? Maybe Dell with there 25ms is as good as say a second rate LCD at 20-23ms?

Eric 

Guest Bob I

my new Viewsonic VP230. You should see FS9 in 1600X1200, which is default, just unbelievable. I also have a Sony 19 inch graphics crt CDA/CAM display, and it's going to collect a bunch of dust. Go for it, and don't worry about the 25 thingy.... Oh, you need a video card capable of displaying digital video. Get a good one. I use an FX card. Sure wish Nvidia would get the new drivers out, should be today sometime.Layabout

Eric....Again, if you have not already done so, I suggest you follow this link:http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/20030626/index.htmlI think the fact of the matter is that the stated response times ar not always accurate. Some are better, some are worse.To be frank I am also feeling a bit confused and have addressed some questions to Hyundai.I note that the Q17A is the model reviewed in Tom's Guide, yet the one on Hyundai's site and, indeed, the one I have just received but not yet installed, is the Q17. I suspect the 'A' refers to the type of TFT screen as in A-Si TFT in the case of my Q17.To add to my confusion the documentation quotes 25ms as the response time for my model, the Dual model (analogue and digital options), yet the documentation for the analogue model quotes 16ms!?? Go figure!I await their response before deciding whether or not to reject it. Would be a shame but, like you, I don't want any trailing/afterglow. Tom's Hardware Guide review does seem very positive about the Q17A (Q17?) so maybe all will be well.I suppose I could just fire her up and see for myself but I want to avoid any problems if I do decide to reject the purchase. Soooo frustrating!Mike

Guest dogknot

>Brent, what about in complex scenery situations when on the>ground say and you are turning your aircraft? Do you see>trailing or anything then? I wonder why people say to stay>away from anything over 23ms? Maybe Dell with there 25ms is as>good as say a second rate LCD at 20-23ms? Eric, I've tried to force situautions where something would be amiss, like ghosting. LAX, Denver, KPDX, KSEA, KSAN, Las Vegas, Phoenix...nothing negative noted on the ground or in the air. So far, everything has remained crisp and beautiful. The only thing I can note is flying at 500 feet at 280kts and in spot view from a side view, the trees get a slight(very slight) wave going, presumably from the refresh rate (?). Of course, the monitor is 'riding' on the 9800pro card which has proven to be outstanding. Optimum setting for the 18 is 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz, which is what I am running. In FS2K2 and FS9, I have 1280x1024x32 selected. I can't speak for the other monitors and their setups, but the package I got from Dell has been excellent. Good luck and I hope you find what pleases you.

Hi Eric, back again!Just received feedback from Hyundai - how's that for support!Their response:1. We have two colour options beige and silver/black. Q17A and Q17 are different models and both are available in both colours.a. Q17 is dual model with USB hub and DVI-D cableb. Q17A is only analog and has no USB2. Both models Q17 and Q17A have 20 ms panel. Information in the CD is incorrect.So, it looks like I'm okay with the Q17. What a relief!Here's another link you may find useful before making the decision:http://www.reseller.co.nz/Reseller/Reselle...C0?OpenDocumentOne factor to consider when purchasing an LCD monitor - a 15" viewable LCD display is equivalent to a 17" CRT, 17" to a 19" CRT and so on. Nice, eh?Mike