Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

The right LCD monitor for FS?

I have a Viewsonic Vp211b (21.3" viewable) LCD it is 25ms and 600:1 contrast ratio. I don't think you can get anything below 25ms in a large monitor, at least I couldn

Forgot my specs.MontyDell 82002.53 Ghz 533FSB CPU1024 Mb RD800 RamGf4 Ti 4600 128mb Video (Driver 4523)Viewsonic 21" VP211b Flat Panel Monitor (1600 x 1200 Native Resolution)Audigy Sound (Latest Drivers)Seagate X15 15000 RPM 37 Gb SCSI Hard Drive E: (Dedicated to FS9)Thrustmaster Hotas CougarWindows XP Pro SP1

Guest Max Cowgill

>One factor to consider when purchasing an LCD monitor - a 15">viewable LCD display is equivalent to a 17" CRT, 17" to a 19">CRT and so on. Nice, eh?>>Mike>Mike, this isn't exactly accurate. A 17" CRT usually has a viewable image area of 15.9'16.0", a 19" CRT usually has a viewable image area of 17.9'18.0". So to be completely accurate it would take a 16" LCD to match a 17" CRT for viewable image area, and an 18" LCD to match a 19" CRT for viewable image area. I don't mean to nitpick or anything, just wanted to clear that up.-Max Cowgill

Guest metamarty

I have a Iiyama 20.1" LCD, with also 25 ms response time, but a 600:1 contrast ratio. I think this thing is top of the line, so they don't really come any faster than 25 ms. When changing to LCD, don't worry about this 25 ms, I've had LCD for 4 years and never had problems with it. Also, don't worry about the refresh rate. Put it as low as it goes. All this refresh rate madness is caused by the flickering nature of picture tubes in CRT monitors and does not apply to LCD. On an LCD, a picture is just rock solid. The only things important when buying LCD today are: - Make sure it has a DVI interface- Check for pixel-perfect regulations (all vendors allow a certain amount of dead pixels, but usually guarantee error free displays for a certain extra amount_- Don't buy 1600x1200 if you have lowend machine and are planning to use FS2004 in windowed mode.

Guest kyle

Do what I did - save your money and buy a used 22 incher until prices and the monitor's themselves improve a little more. I bought a 22 inch monitor for $375 CAD (about $250 US) and it is working perfectly. The money I saved went to increasing my RAM - but do not order that from Dell, go to Crucial or a local supplier. That is where Dell makes their money. I plan on grabbing a new 30 inch early next year when prices are a little more reasonable.

Hi Max,Ah well, at least one can comfort oneself by feeling persuaded that a good quality 20ms 17" LCD will soon, if not already, be better value for money than its CRT equivalent. Bigger viewing area, no fall off in sharpness at the edges and superb true colour quality.Mike

Well gentlemen, many many thanks for all the responses. This kind of info was EXCATLY what I was hoping to get. I just ordered the new Dell XPS with a 3.2P4, 1Gig of RAM, ATI's 9800PRO 128MB card and of course the 20.1" LCD monitor. I hope this will let me run FS9 with everything maxed out or close to it!! Thanks again guys!

Eric 

You'll be fine. I have the 18" Ultrasharp Dell LCD monitor. It's perfect because it has Digital input and you connect it as such to the proper location on the computer's back panel. The old monitors without the Digital in/out possibility would give trails BECAUSE THEY WERE CONNECTED IN AN ANALOG FASHION. The Dell comes with both connectors, ane the digital one is the correct one for us simmers. I love mine, and would never go back to that large behemoth, space-sucking tube. Stan

Morning!I've had my new Dell XPS for about two weeks now and love everything, including the 18" LCD. As far as LCD performance is concerned, I have had no problem at all. Pixel refresh rates and contrast ratios are subjective; read Consumer Reports, PCWorld reviews etc. and you'll get the picture pretty quickly. Service has been exemplary as well. I actually had a bad hard drive that I discovered at 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. The service tech was at my door at 10:00 AM the next day!! All is well now. Here's another tip for those of you considering buying a Dell. Costco sells pre-configured Dells including the XPS online. Their return policy is 6 MONTHS, for any reason, no restocking charge. When I was talking to the Dell tech when we reinstalled the OS, I told him where I got my machine and about the guarantee. He said that was pretty good because Dell's policy was thirty days and you get to pay shipping! LOL! Now if ATI will just update the drivers to stop the flickerin' !!Mark

i belive the dell 18" and 19" ultrasharps are samsung syncmasters in a dell case that they bought wholesale from samsung. i have the 19" samsung syncmaster 191T and it is the same panel as teh 19" ultrasharp

Any of you guys with the Dell LCD's getting those 1 to 2 second blackouts on the screen? Was reading in the Dell Consumer forums and some there are screaming bloody murder at Dell over it? Mainly with the 18 and 19" ones.

Eric