Sign in to follow this  
FlyinMisfit

2K4 some observations

I am not impressed with the FM in this sim so far. The defualt aircraft just dont feel as smooth as I would like. There seems to be some problem with the trim also. Most aircraft have a very narrow band where the trim is pretty effective, almost too much so. Add-on aircraft are porked here in this regard. One other issue bugging me is the reflective metal textures. Is it just me or is there something very wrong with this? Seems like the chrome is almost white and much too reflective even with the default stuff. The Baron's props are a good example. So far I am loving the clouds and environment, but that is not making up for the other small problems and the jumpy frame rates in this sim. I know Im not the only one seeing this either, there are many posts about stutter and poor frames with any kind of AA. I was thinking my p4 @2.9ghz system would be enough, but Its looking like I have to run with unacceptable settings from a visual standpoint to get smooth frame rates. Ok enough of that, I do like this sim, it has some really fine atmospherics, but right now Im thinking its a fine screenshot tool, but not the greatest flight simulator.Hornit

Guest SoarPics

I agree with your point about the reflective textures.I have no problems with the FM's, though. I think they are very good. Stable, consistent, and somewhat predictable (as predictable as a virtual airplane in a virtual dynamic sky can be). I believe alot of the problems folks may have with FM's are hardware related. On my system, all the FS9 aircraft I've flown (all the GA stuff and Spirit) have been very nice. Still, I'm anxious to see what the flight dynamics gurus can offer up.Sorry to see all the problems you're having with stutters. Were these present on the version you used for your SimHQ review, or did they present themselves only on the gold version?Hope you get it all sorted,

I had some very minor stutters in the preview copy but overall my impression was it was definitley smoother. Read my latest post in my other thread "a breath of fresh air". For sure the default aircraft are pretty good, Im just not happy with the trim thing. We are going to have to work really hard to get third party aircraft to "feel" right I'm afraid.Hornit

Guest Coneman

I was beginning to think the blown out metal textures were a problem with my card. It must be the sim. I didn't have that happen in FS2002.I agree with the trim problem also, but I kind of like the FM, at least on the tail draggers. They seem a little more lively in this version.Todd

hi All,just my 2 cents here. i agree with Hornit on the FM's. the 172 and Baron for example on the ground are all over the rnwy/txwy. with me. my joystick settings are the same with 2k4 and 2k2. the 172 and Baron in 2k2 are much more controllable. i've logged quite a few hours in a real 172 and to me the FM of the 172 in 2k2 is much more realistic on the ground and in the air. never flown a Baron though. also, the 747 FM is not as good as in 2k2. never flown one of those either. (oh how i wish though). IMOH, the chrome as well as the water color in 2k4 is puke compared to 2k2. i like the water "textures" in 2k4 better though. happy flyin, fm