Sign in to follow this  
Guest sdickson1968

Dancing Mountains? Any Fixes?

Hi allI have an old GeForce 2 64Mb card which surprisingly runs FS9 quite well, but one thing i cant stand is looking at beautiful mountains in the distance to find them jumping around and moving about, very off putting!Ive searched the forums, and cannot find a way to fix this, I was wondering if anyone knew a solution?Richard

Richard,I have the same card, but I assumed what't happening at the horizon with the mountains was a new FS9 feature. It seems Microsoft has found a way to add more intricate silhouetting to ridges right at the horizon line so that it's almost the equivalent of a good add-on mesh. But only at the horizon line. If you're running with default terrain mesh outside the US, hills and mountains closer to you will still look rounded and dopey. The slight bit of "dancing" at the horizon (when panning) as the sim redraws the jaggies is something I can live with.First noticed the new effect when I took off from Gibraltar and looked south. The distant Atlas range in Morocco on the horizon looked like a LOD10 mesh!John

Yeah, its an FPS eating machine! Nobody else get this problem though or know how to fix it??

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,Depends, I suppose, on what screen resolution you are running with. I expected similar results running a 32Mb card, but apart from not being able to activate surface reflections, have not experienced dances with mountains at 1280x1024x32.

Guest sdickson1968

If I understand what you're describing properly, I believe it has to do with the relationship between draw distance and visibility distance due to weather. Draw distance is a means of improving performance; terrain closer than the draw distance is displayed while terrain further away is not. On a clear day with infinite visbility, this means that mountains in the distance will suddenly pop up as they cross the draw distance threshold. Usually, ground haze would cover up this effect. However, if the draw distance is smaller than the visibility distance, the haze effect will no longer be strong enough at the draw distance threshold to hide the transition completely, and you will see mountains popping up along the horizon.