Sign in to follow this  
Guest jesseca5

Multiple Saitek Throttle Quadrants

Guest jesseca5

I fly mostly multi engine propeller aircraft; twins and four engine birds. I just got a new Saitek Yoke and Throttle quadrant and I also purchased an additionl throttle quad. The manual is not too specific and I have not been able to get the two quads working properly. One will work fine for single engine but the second unit is totally inoperative so that I am not able to configure the setup for multi engine. I'm hoping someone on the forum already has this working and can steer me in the right direction.Thanks,Jesse

Well, I guess the first question is are you using Saitek drivers or the default windows ones? I find that the default ones work just fine since I don't use Saitek's latest profile software. I much prefer fsuipc.Note that the Saitek yoke has a DIN connector for the first throttle unit. When you connect the two, and then plug into USB, windows will see them as a single controller having 5 axis (first two on the yoke and other 3 on the throttle). The second throttle unit has the standard USB cable, which you can plug into the yoke (acts as an unpowered USB hub) or any other USB port. That unit will be seen as a second controller with 3 axis.If you use Saitek drivers I think they are supposed to "self-calibrate" but if you don't you have to go into windows game controllers (or devices and printers) and calibrate. Either way you should be able to test your controllers and see that all the axis and buttons on both respond correctly.If you make your assignments in FS, FS will attempt to assign "reasonable" things to the levers and buttons. These for the most part will be wrong. My recommendation is to first go to the axis page in the control assignments and delete all assignments for both controllers, in both normal and slew modes. Then go into the commands and do the same for all buttons. Once you have that cleaned out you can start assigning things the way you want. Note that there is a 3 position mode switch on the yoke. If you don't use Saitek profiling SST software, this switch will be seen as 3 joystick buttons. Whichever position the switch is in the corresponding button will be seen as "depressed" or "on" until you move the switch, which just causes the next button to be seen as "on". Thus, there isn't much practical use to make assignments for the 3 buttons of this switch (to make matters worse, if you do not remove all the delete assignments as I suggest by default that switch is assigned to gear toggle and view switch and you will think your yoke is "broken" when you gear go up and down without doing anything).If you are going to use these with various aircraft types, fsuipc I think is the answer, as you can create a profile for each individual aircraft which loads when you select the aircraft.scott s..

Guest jesseca5

Thanks, Scott. To begin with, I am using the drivers provided on the Saitek CD. I am going to follow your suggestions and first off, delete all of the settings so that I can start over with a clean set of controls. I also plan on using FSUIPC since I have the licensed version. I'll let you know if I am successful.Jesse

Programming the levers and switches with 2 throttle quadrants can be interesting.Under the Options Controls, Select Either the Yoke or the Throttle quadrant and select Axis or Buttons.When you choose the Flight yoke, this includes the first throttle quadrant. The one attached to the yoke.When you choose the Throttle quadrant, you get the additional quadrant.Mine are as follows:First throttle quadrant, (the one included with the Yoke) Engine1 Throttle / Engine2 Throttle / Engine 1 PropSecond controller Engine 2 prop / Engine1 Mix / Engine2 MixI fly mainly Piston twins.Jim

Programming the levers and switches with 2 throttle quadrants can be interesting.Under the Options Controls, Select Either the Yoke or the Throttle quadrant and select Axis or Buttons.When you choose the Flight yoke, this includes the first throttle quadrant. The one attached to the yoke.When you choose the Throttle quadrant, you get the additional quadrant.Mine are as follows:First throttle quadrant, (the one included with the Yoke) Engine1 Throttle / Engine2 Throttle / Engine 1 PropSecond controller Engine 2 prop / Engine1 Mix / Engine2 MixI fly mainly Piston twins.Jim
I not only have 2 Saiteks, but also a CH TQ and I program them with FSUIPC. It's no problem. With FSUIPC one can make an assignment that fits a particular aircraft and change those assignments to fit a different aircraft and FSUIPC remembers those assignments. So if you decide to fly something else, you are not confronted with having to reassign functions to match that aircraft. Just be sure that no assignments for surface controls exist in the FS9 assignment applett.Jim Dow (Not the same Jim as quoted above)

dont use the saitek drivers. they cause the 'phantom button pressing' you may have heard about

dont use the saitek drivers. they cause the 'phantom button pressing' you may have heard about
The phantom button pressing was a product of faulty firmware in first genration Pro Yokes it has nothing to with the Saitek drivers and its perfectly fine to use them. However there are many including myself, that would recommend against using the SST software especially if you are using FSUIPC.