Sign in to follow this  
Guest CargoMun

DX 9.0b cpl is a debug version

According to my dx diagnostics this cpl is a debug version and will run slower than the non-debug cpl. This may be causing some stutters and lowered performance.Anyone else have notice this, or did I get a bum dx 9.0bDave

Guest CargoMun

Mine is also a "debug" version. Its the control panel part of DirectX so I didnt really give much into it speedwise, neither know if there are newer ones available.Afterall 9.0b is so new surely they would have put a potential new version into it.

Guest JEH

Hi All: I'm not sure I know what you're talking about or how I would find out if I have the de-bug version, but I downloaded a 9.0b version from, I believe, a microsoft site about one week before FS2k4 was released. Ever since I've had problems with hyperlinks. Some work and some don't. It's random and very annoying. How do I find out if this is a DirectX problem? I didn't have it before downloading this version and I assume it's related but not sure. And if it is a problem, what then?Thanks for any help.

Use DirectX diagnostics to show compatibility issues etc. In the Note" section of mine, there is a flagg on the cpl with the note that directx cpl is a debug version and WILL cause direct x to run slower.I know there was an issue with direct x 9.0 cpl (I think) which caused lots of log on problems in multiplayer. MS released a newer version which corrected the problem related to that debug cpl. Now it is back it seems. Although it does not evidently affect multiplayer anymore (at least I have not heard of any problem). Dave

Guest Fortress

Well I've 9.0b installed and don't even HAVE a directx CPL !Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

I don't have a .CPL file in my DirectX Files list either( located in DirectX Diagnostic Tool program) .Direct X Version reads : DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)Where is the note indicating debug located?Larry

My DX9.0a that came with FS2004 has the same thing .. the messaging about directx.cpl being a debug version.Does everyone with DX9.0b have this as well? I don't want to bother installing the b version if it has the same thing.I wonder if this is really an issue or just some sort of error in the directx diagnostic?

Guest Fortress

>Does everyone with DX9.0b have this as well?No. As I just said, I do not have the CPL file. Uaing RivaTuner as I do, I can't even see what the point in having it is anyway.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

Larry: It is located in the bottom window of the DirectX tab page, (in the directX diagnostics program) the one listing all the DX files. If it is remarked or flagged there will be a note there. I am surprised that you do not have this flagged on your system, as it is pretty obvious to spot. Also, if you scroll down the DX driver list, if it is flagged, there will be an icon in front of the cpl file listing.Dave

Hello,I do not have that file in my 9.0b files of DirectX.I only find a "joy.cpl" My direct X was downloaded from the Microsoft siteHave a nice day

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

You probably downloaded and installed this file some time ago. Visit www.neowin.net . At one time they had a newer download that eliminated that message.You could also try renaming the directx.cpl to directx.xxx, reboot your computer and see if you notice any difference.On two systems I have, one WinXP, other Win98SE, I don't have the directx.cpl file load. In DirectX8, the directx.cpl file was used to turn off the debugging mode under the Audio tab. I don't think DirectX9 has that problem and I would rename or delete the directx.cpl from your Windows folder.W. Sieffert

Dave - The only time I've ever seen the .cpl file is with the beta version. Do you have it present in the retail version? Maybe it's a leftover from a load of the beta? With a clean load of the retail version I don't think it should be there.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Dave,Thanks for the info. I have nothing in the Notes "window" on the Direct X Files tab except for a short message " . No problems found". And no Direct*.cpl of any kind in the files list on the DirectX Files tab. There is a joy.cpl but that's the only .cpl in the Direct X Files list.Again, my System Tab shows Direct X Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902) which is in my OS MS XP Pro (5.1, Build 2600)Larry

Guest CargoMun

Well this is odd. I just downloaded the 9.0b file again this time from MS' own DirectX site. And by joe now its not present either on my rig anymore. Version number is however exactly the same as the other directx i was runningOh and MFC42.dll is still a beta retail driver thats the only one that is different now. Rest if Final retail :)

If I remember correctly cpl files are control panel extensions, so it shouldn't affect game performance at all. //Keeps sorry to bump so old topic, just catching up on messages..