Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Harnes

Removing LCD from mounting

Does anyone have experience in removing a LCD from the mounting in order to eliminate the view-blocking by bezels? Info about how it's done would be appreciated.Jim Harnes

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Does anyone have experience in removing a LCD from the mounting in order to eliminate the view-blocking by bezels? Info about how it's done would be appreciated.Jim Harnes
Jim- I assume you are working with multiple monitors? No real need to eliminate bezels any more than removing the windshield posts in your car.What is needed is to shift the outer views a few degrees- so that there is always a thin slice of scenery "hidden behind the bezels", never to be seen. Again, same as in a car! (Every airplane also has windscreen posts that always hide a slice of scenery!)The amount of shift is the ratio of the combined width of the bezels divided by the horizontal width of the main monitor. Typically about 5-6

Hi Alex,That setup works fine if your using the two or three monitors for exterior views only, if your running a panel across two or three monitors (VC) the bezel ruins the look (your car windshield posts don't run through and block your view of the dash board). By removing the bezel and moving the two or three monitor screens very close together gives a much better view of ones panel.I may butcher my three Samsung SyncMaster T260HD monitors in attempt to get this look, maybe I'll find a broken T260 cheap on e-bay to experiment with.That would be the ultimate view, three no bezel monitors on a custom stand for my flight simulator computer. It sure beats spending a few thousand dollars on a concave monitor.

Hi Alex,That setup works fine if your using the two or three monitors for exterior views only, if your running a panel across two or three monitors (VC) the bezel ruins the look (your car windshield posts don't run through and block your view of the dash board). By removing the bezel and moving the two or three monitor screens very close together gives a much better view of ones panel.I may butcher my three Samsung SyncMaster T260HD monitors in attempt to get this look, maybe I'll find a broken T260 cheap on e-bay to experiment with.That would be the ultimate view, three no bezel monitors on a custom stand for my flight simulator computer. It sure beats spending a few thousand dollars on a concave monitor.
Hi Mike- true; I've never found a way to have triple views AND a virtual panel. But you can have the 2D panel and all popups open as well as three exterior views. Have to admit however that I prefer 2D panels- which work beautifully with triple views synched into one. Some simmers use a fourth monitor to display the 2D panel- using 3 mons above it exclusively for the triple synched views.Having simmed with triple views for the past 6 years, it will be difficult persuading me to give up an "all the time" 146

Thanks for the replies, gents. I'm awaiting a couple of used monitors from ebay and then I'll give bezel removal a try. Will post back with results.Jim Harnes

Thanks for the replies, gents. I'm awaiting a couple of used monitors from ebay and then I'll give bezel removal a try. Will post back with results.Jim Harnes
Jim- Just a guess from a very non technical simmer- I suspect that under the LCD frame, you will find the printed circuitry for the display- probably extending around all four edges. If so, then removing the bezel will not really change the separation distance between adjacent monitors.If frame removal is possible, would not the manufacturer also do so- and in the process, double the price for a premium product?Alex Reid

Mike- before you "butcher" those monitors- consider that if elimination of the bezels is possible, would not Samsung have done so?- and in the process doubled or tripled the price for their "New Frameless Monitor"? My guess is that the frame hides a bunch of printed circuitry and some structure of the screen itself, with the "bezel" being just a cover to prevent damage - and to help keep curious folks like us from prying.---------------------- Re 2D Panel vs VC-I find VC unsatisfactory, in that the panel requires panning laterally & up/down plus zoom in/out for clarity, in order to access all elements- ie switches, instruments etc. With a 2D panel and all popups displayed ALL the time at constant size and location, there is no access delay as in VC. The penalty of course, is that the panel components may not be positioned the same as in a real aircraft.So there is a very legitimate debate between the merits and limitations of both approaches. The VC is certainly prettier and more realistic but you have to work at the access to its elements rather than just "rolling your eyeballs"!It is my understanding that the FAA position is that it will NOT approve any Flight Training Device that uses Panning or Zooming for its panel/instrumentation display. [ie any gauge/instrument/switch etc must be displayed in a fixed screen location. (my interpretation)] Folks such as (real world pilot) Jim Rhoads of Flight 1 say they "despise VCs" so I continue to hope there may yet be renewed interest in 2D simpanel artwork- especially to take advantage of the potential of multiple monitors. (I'm sure you & Jim could have an interesting debate on this!)Regards Alex Reid

Hi Alex,Yes there are some "electronics" involved when removing the bezel from a LCD monitor. Just have to very careful to ensure everything is returned to proper working order when the unit is placed in a custom mount. Believe my experience in building electronic kits (some pre-solid state!) will be a help with this.At one time there was a site focused on cockpit construction which described bezel removal and custom mount construction. However, can't find it, so I'll take good notes and pics when I start.With regard to the 2D vs VC "discussion", to this point I've preferred custom (1680 x 1050) 2D panels. But I have to say the perspective out the front of a 2560 x 960 PMDG 737 VC panel is something to behold :( ! However, I intend to also try a 3 LCD-for-the-scenery/1 LCD-for-the-panel setup. Will be interesting to discover which is most realistic for me.Jim

Hi Alex,---------- However, I intend to also try a 3 LCD-for-the-scenery/1 LCD-for-the-panel setup. Will be interesting to discover which is most realistic for me.Jim
Jim- One of the peculiarities of multi monitors (or any monitor/s for that matter) is that each screen needs to be viewed squarely. That is, the centre point of each should be square to the pilot's eyes. (You can demonstrate this by moving sideways relative to a monitor and observing how a runway seems to veer off to the side- visitors to our hobby must think we are a bit strange as they sit beside us and see such a skewed scene!)Laterally, we can overcome this quite well by angling the outer mons toward us, keeping them square to our sight line. This ensures that the triple horizon segments maintain a straight line as the aircraft rolls. (including a full 360

Alex,Thanks for the info. Just received two used Acer AL1716 LCDs. The bezels are exceeding easy to remove: two screws to remove from the back at the monitor controls position and then the front bezel pops off. Just have to be careful not to crowbar the wiring to the controls pcb. Have not tried to remove the steel "case" around the LCD, but will when I have the time. That would allow the LCDs to "join" with little separation . Also in the process of working up a 3-monitor mount using MDF.Haven't heard of the problem with the horizon when using 3 monitors for the scenery. I've been looking at Wideview and the docs make no mention of it.Will post back with final results.Jim Harnes

Haven't heard of the problem with the horizon when using 3 monitors for the scenery. I've been looking at Wideview and the docs make no mention of it.Will post back with final results.Jim Harnes
Jim- The horizon bending between monitors in pitch up/down is an optical problem. I would be fairly sure that the same phenom occurs with WideView.It's not a big deal however. If you should find it annoying, another trick is to move your head-eyeline up/down in synch with the horizon vert. motion!Anxious to hear of your results with the ACER bezel since I am using a quite similar monitor.Alex Reid

A small update for this project: LCD bezels are different animals, even within the same brand of monitor. For example, two Acer AL1716 monitors had different methods of bezel attachment. One had screws holding the front half of the bezel to the rear and the other had none. Both monitors had front/rear bezels which snap apart - do this carefully!Removal of the metal frame surrounding the LCD is problematic given the wiring going to the LCD and other small boards. So I've elected to leave the metal mounts in place. Interestingly, even these mounts are different in the AL1716s. As the metal frames are only about 1\4 inch wide, there is not much adjustment to do when three are mounted for scenery display.Jim Harnes